Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: King of Dragon Pass (Strategy/Roleplaying game)[4/4]  (Read 11052 times)

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
  • Panther of the East Jungle
    • View Profile
King of Dragon Pass (Strategy/Roleplaying game)[4/4]
« on: September 17, 2013, 11:15:52 pm »

Two hundred years ago, in the shadow of the mountain at the center of the world, your ancestors fought a great war against the dragons.

Your ancestors lost.

The dragons ate every warrior who marched against them. They ate every magician who supported the warriors. Then they ate everyone else.
The only survivors were those who had remained in the south, outside the land called Dragon Pass. For two hundred years, Dragon Pass was nothing to you but a death sentence, a haunted boneyard, an enemy camp.

But civil war in your ancestral lands forced your clan to find a new home. A few heroes dared to explore the forbidden land to the north. That these heroes returned at all was amazing. That they returned to tell you that the dragons are gone and that Dragon Pass is nearly empty, open for the taking — this is a gift from the gods.

Your clan is part of the second wave of resettlement of Dragon Pass. You number some eight or nine hundred souls: mostly farmers and children, some warriors, a few nobles and magicians and god-talkers. You seized land not far from the holy mountain called Kero Fin, the mountain that gave birth to your chief god, the god of Storm named Eunae.

You are not the only clan that came north. As many as twenty other clans or splinters of clans separated themselves from kinfolk and carved homes in this new frontier. Like you, they are Eunaen. Your relations with these clans, for good or for war, determine whether your clan starts up a path of glory or drifts forgotten with the spirits who haunt this ancient land.

Who will be the one to rise above the rest, start a tribe, and unite the peoples of Dragon Pass under one king?

King of Dragon Pass is a strategy/role playing game made by A Sharp, released in 1999 on DOS. It’s one of my favourite games of all time and I highly recommend you play it through GoG or any mobile device app store if you like strategy games with random events.

Anyways, I’d like to run a game similar to KoDP here on the forums. The game will run much like a game of KoDP would. You select actions for your tribe and random things happen that you have to deal with. Eventually, the goal is for one of the players to prove themselves worthy of becoming the king of Dragon Pass. I’m looking for four players for this venture.

Lore and Info
King of Dragon Pass is a fantasy setting that takes place in a time of tribes, cattle raids, and religious sacrifice. In order to keep the game challenging, I’ve elected to replace the pantheon with my own, but keep many of the customs the same. On that note, I give you the altered introduction to the game:
Spoiler: Introduction (click to show/hide)
That’s the history of your people. At generation, you’ll be allowed to make several decisions concerning the history of your clan. That’ll be covered in the Gameplay section. Here’s the altered pantheon of the game:
Spoiler: Pantheon (click to show/hide)
And finally, I give you the myths of Eunae. Eunaens sometimes venture into the realm of the gods to reenact these myths, so as to gain the god’s favour. Note that these are not complete, as it is part of the game to rediscover these myths through sacrifice.
Spoiler: Myths (click to show/hide)

I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff you need to know... Just ask and I'll be glad to add to the lore.

Gameplay
Each turn lasts one season. A player will submit a series of actions during each turn. You can either submit two major actions, three minor actions, or one major and one minor action. Here’s an exclusive list of actions you may take:

Actions
Spoiler: Clan Actions (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Farming Actions (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Diplomatic Actions (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Trade Actions (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: War Actions (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Religious Actions (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Other Actions (click to show/hide)

Events
After actions are taken, random events occur. These can be personal events, clan-wide events, or global events. Personal events are events that happen to one person, usually someone on your clan ring. Clan-wide events are events that concern the whole clan. Global events concern every clan in Dragon Pass. 

Seasons
Sea: Planting season. Good time to explore and send missions. Raiding is not advised, as the fyrd is composed of the farmers that are supposed to be sowing crops.
Fire: Great raiding season, the crops can be left to themselves.
Earth: Much like Sea season. Crops must be harvested, so stick to more passive actions.
Dark: The winter is bitter cold, and the snow drifts are strong. A time to rest and listen to the gods.
Storm: An unpredictable season. The snow is melting, but a storm could come at any time. Raiding and exploring are possible, if a bit dangerous.
Sacred Time: Sacred Time is a season that takes place during the last two weeks of the year. It is the time when your clan performs sacred rituals to prepare for the year to come. The most important thing about the Sacred Time is allocation of magic.

Magic
Your clan gets a certain amount of magic every year to allocate to the various aspects of life. This is a numerical value. You may save some magic to use later in emergencies. Every year at Sacred Time you allocate your clan magic to the following categories.
Spoiler: Catagories (click to show/hide)

Battle
At the start of the battle you have several choices. You may use magic for aid, sacrifice to gods (mainly Begnar and Eunae), employ treasures, choose your tactics, and choose your objective. Here’s the breakdown:
Allocating Magic: You simply choose how much magic you wish to commit to the battle.
Sacrificing: You may choose to sacrifice to several gods, depending on what you want. Do note that sacrificing takes time, time that your adversary might use to strike first.
Employing Treasures: You may use any relic or artifact that’s applicable to the situation.
Choosing Tactics: The four tactics offered in the DOS game are Skirmish (Uses missile weapons to damage the enemy), Maneuver (Try to trick the enemy, thwarted by charge), Charge (Full out attack the enemy without wasting any time), and Evade (Counter a charge). You may use any of these, but I encourage you to be more creative.
Choosing Objective: What you want to accomplish. Some examples include:  plunder, kill as many of the enemy as possible, flee, burn down fortifications, take captives, and drive the enemy off.

Battle is composed of two phases, the initial clash and the melee. During the initial clash, the two sides’ tactics are compared. Whoever wins that exchange gets a bonus in the next phase: the melee. During the melee, the strength of the two sides’ magic, forces, and thanes are considered.  Whoever wins the melee wins the battle, and gets the loot.
Spoiler: Sample Battle (click to show/hide)

Clan Creation
Spoiler: Clan Sheet (click to show/hide)

Logistics

As the four of you will be competing, I don't think it'd be very logical to let you see each other's clan stats. As such, I'll be giving you each a google doc link that'll be updated with the turns. As an extension of the privacy, you'll be sending any action involving subterfuge or hostile actions towards your opponents through PM (if you wish). Also, all information and actions related to Heroquests will be sent through PM as well.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 09:25:53 pm by Silcugar »
Quote from: Isaac Asimov
I write for the same reason I breathe — because if I didn't, I would die.

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: King of Dragon Pass (Strategy/Roleplaying game)[0/4]
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 11:16:39 pm »

Player Clans
Spoiler: Lillipad, Kalawey (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ghazkull, Manskinner (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Taricus, Kardarvi (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 12:33:14 am by Silcugar »

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 11:17:27 pm »

Another reserve

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 12:34:44 am »

Wow, posting to watch.

I suck at competitive forum games, but I really like KODP. :)
Hopefully you get some good players.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 12:37:46 am »

Wow, posting to watch.

I suck at competitive forum games, but I really like KODP. :)
Hopefully you get some good players.

Someone actually knows the game?! Now you have to play.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 12:42:43 am »

Is it first come-first serve? In that case I am reserving the spot
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 12:44:32 am »

@Sila: Naw. I'm just no good at killing people forum wise. :P I'd be more suited to help write for you, if you ever needed it. I love the lore.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 12:50:37 am »

That's why you go peace tribe then D. :P

Anyway, watching, may post a sheet later too.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 01:41:06 am »

Is it first come-first serve? In that case I am reserving the spot

Alrighty.

@Sila: Naw. I'm just no good at killing people forum wise. :P I'd be more suited to help write for you, if you ever needed it. I love the lore.

You don't got to. Like Taricus says, you can go the peaceful route and gain AI allies, and master trade, and basically do a pacifist run. I know the quality of your posts, Dwarmin, and I'd really like to have you on as one of the players. Don't make me beg.

That's why you go peace tribe then D. :P

Anyway, watching, may post a sheet later too.

Cool.

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 01:52:48 am »

Hrrrrrrnnnnnnnggggg
King of Dragon Pass
Must... Resist... Urge... To squee...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 01:54:20 am by Lillipad »
Quote from: BaerTaffy
If Adele covered Aerosmith, that would be my life right now.

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 02:34:11 am »

Hrrrrrrnnnnnnnggggg
King of Dragon Pass
Must... Resist... Urge... To squee...

Alright, you're in! I'm so happy to see so many fans of the game. I should've expected you guys, considering this is the Bay12 forums.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: King of Dragon Pass (Strategy/Roleplaying game)[3?/4]
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 04:15:55 am »

Hope I don't regret this, Si! lol

« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 04:34:35 am by Dwarmin »

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 06:47:36 am »

BEcause i always wanted to be an evil tribe in KoDP

Tribe Name: Manskinner Tribe
Tribe Specialty/Quirk: Feared for their utter brutality and lack of compassion in war the Manskinner Tribe produce fearsome Raiders and cover their shields in the Skin of Captured Enemies.
Tribe History: (Refer to the introduction spoiler)
What did your clan do at Eunae’s marriage ceremony?
1.Our men and women donned gleaming armour and stood guard with Begnar to protect the celebrants from Eunae's many enemies.

Our earliest Famous Event was: The Beastmen War - Where our warriors donned the skins of slain Beastmen to confuse their enemies.

When Eudae places the wayward family under our protection we:
2. Made them into thralls.

Who was your clans most hated foe? The Beastmen, they make good slaves.

After Heort unified the peoples of the land, you became a:
1. War Tribe

Who was the first god your clan helped awaken? Choose any one of the major gods, or your ancestors.
We awoke Hourlaw, the Judge

When the dragons came, how did you react?
3. We dealt with the dragons peacefully.

Where did you settle?
6. Wherever land was available.

How much land did you mark when you got to Dragon Pass?
3. Lots more than we would probably need.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 03:03:53 pm »

Spoiler:  It's here! (click to show/hide)
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 03:23:52 pm »

Hope I don't regret this, Si! lol

You won't!

BEcause i always wanted to be an evil tribe in KoDP

Spoiler:  It's here! (click to show/hide)

Now this is a bit of a dilemma. Taricus was here first, but I wasn't sure if it was a full reservation... Oh well! I think I can handle five players.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7