Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cart combustion  (Read 2391 times)

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cart combustion
« on: September 17, 2013, 09:38:55 am »

Ok so I settle this moist broadleaf forest, savage, the second I hit unpause the damn cart catches on fire the fire then spreads through the forest and kills all of my dwarves except one who then got eaten by a tiger. Is this a glitch or did my dwarves smuggle some wildfire?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cart combustion
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 09:42:35 am »

Sounds like you tried to embark somewhere VERY hot, or your wagon is right next to a volcano.

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 09:48:09 am »

Sounds like you tried to embark somewhere VERY hot, or your wagon is right next to a volcano.

It was warm/hot, warm if I moved I square down, the closest volcano was off the map screen .

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 09:49:47 am »

Did you mod the game or are using a mod? Just asking.

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 09:51:08 am »

I've only modded some creatures/entity nothing that lives above ground can cause fire.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 10:58:57 am »

I've only modded some creatures/entity nothing that lives above ground can cause fire.

Did you mod in underground creatures/materials with really high intrinsic temperatures and make it so the dwarf civ has access to them? You could've embarked with stuff that causes fires. For example if you added a webbing creature that is really hot, some of your starting seven could've been wearing burning death fire silk clothing; if you added a tree that is really hot, the wagon could've been made out of its wood.

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 03:26:18 pm »

Did you mod in underground creatures/materials with really high intrinsic temperatures and make it so the dwarf civ has access to them? You could've embarked with stuff that causes fires. For example if you added a webbing creature that is really hot, some of your starting seven could've been wearing burning death fire silk clothing; if you added a tree that is really hot, the wagon could've been made out of its wood.

No it was a dragon that could survive in magma, but it's sealed.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 03:31:12 pm »

If you do a reclaim on that embark, does it happen again?

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 04:11:14 pm »

If you do a reclaim on that embark, does it happen again?

Nope, well sometimes the tiger part.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 05:47:24 pm »

Have you tried embarking with things made out of your magma dragon? If you even can.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 09:38:11 pm »

Yeah, it might not be as sealed as you think. Magma dragon leather clothing might do it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 11:39:45 pm »

Yeah, it might not be as sealed as you think. Magma dragon leather clothing might do it.

Or magma dragon anything, if it isn't labelled as a megabeast or semi-mega, then the dwarves would have access to materials from it, no matter how difficult it's supposed to be to kill.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 02:16:47 am »

Or magma dragon anything, if it isn't labelled as a megabeast or semi-mega, then the dwarves would have access to materials from it, no matter how difficult it's supposed to be to kill.

right but only magma dragon leather would appear as a random clothing item on the starting seven; anything else would have to be specifically purchased.

this is a fun mystery

AFAIK fires can only be started in the following ways:
  • something comes in contact with magma, magma mist, etc. or with something that has just emerged from magma. we can rule this out.
  • ambient temperature is above the [IGNITE_POINT] of something:
    • ambient temperature is above [IGNITE_POINT] of normal plants, animals. this is possible if you deliberately genn'd a world with really strange temperature variation, but if that were the case then everything would be immediately on fire, including the dwarves, tiger, etc.
    • an item that is made from a material that has a really low [IGNITE_POINT] will spontaneously burst into flames, which will then increase to normal fire temperature and spread to other items with higher [IGNITE_POINT]s. items like this could be created in worldgen and then immediately start a fire at room temperature once you embark. this is a strong possibility with modded materials.
  • something comes in contact with a non-burning item made from a material with a really high fixed temperature. this is caused by the [MAT_FIXED_TEMP] tag being set above 11000 or so. this seems the most likely probability.

for example, i believe (can't find the source now) that a sentient creature that kills a titan made of fire in worldgen may craft a trophy out of its remains, and that said trophy will then cause fires if a player adventurer enters that creature's world tile.

• contact with a creature with a really high [HOMEOTHERM] setting. i don't think this property is inherited by stuff made from the creature, but i could be wrong.
  • a reaction or syndrome that causes something to become really hot or generates something with a low [IGNITE_POINT]. seems unlikely.
  • contact with a creature that has the IMMOLATE tag, which occasionally causes items in the creature's tile to start to burn. this tag does not require the creature to be hot itself! it's a really old tag that predates the current reaction system, so i don't think anyone knows very much about it. i'm not sure if it's based on heat or if it magically creates fire without a heat source, and i'm not sure if this property is inherited by stuff made from creatures that have the tag. this tag seems to only be used in-game on fire snakes, which are vermin found around magma vents and volcanoes. using it on modded creatures might have unusual effects that i'm not aware of.
  • dragonfire, fire jets, fireballs, all of which we can rule out immediately unless one of the dwarves or draft animals somehow had this ability

i can't speak authoritatively on any of this though; this is just based on my own observations.

locustgate, did you specifically purchase any modded-in stuff on embark? if not, and if we rule out a high ambient temperature, then the cause is likely one of the starting items that the player has no control over:
  • dwarf clothing made of leather, silk, and/or plant fiber
  • three logs
  • two draft animals
additionally, barrels of random civ-available wood will be automatically generated for meat and liquids but these don't really introduce a new uncontrolled factor since they will select from the same pool of wood types as the wagon does
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 02:26:04 am by Niyazov »

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 07:26:25 am »

I don't know but the dragon can't breath fire, modded cave dragon and is in cavern 3:4

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 07:48:47 am »

Could you post the modded cave dragon raws?
Pages: [1] 2