Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Kingdom wars: the Rebuilding of Civilization and Empires [SG, updated 25/9]  (Read 3667 times)

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kingdom wars: the Rebuilding of Civilization and Empires [SG]
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2013, 02:02:44 pm »

Now you think this game is dead. Far. From. Yet.

The Kimkoa Tribe has just united the Gorezpat and Urdinaka tribes, not by bloodshed but by very sensible diplomacy, framing the Gengonians as common enemies (and they probably are). A list of the various provinces is provided in the giant spreadsheet at the end.

You hold Kimkoa, Gorezpat and Urdinaka. Upper and Gengonia are less centralized but will help each other if attacked. Pavena city and Pavena are relatively wealthy but not military advanced due to neglect. Other areas range from tribal to relatively organized but less well.
Notice that the Manpower for Gorezpat and Urdinaka are not full, as minor revolts happened as they accepted your superiority. As a result some manpower had resettled to other provinces or defected to Gengonia.

Technologies:

Except baseline technologies (that is everything everyone else has), you have extra edge in two techs: Pre-alchemy and Traditional Medicine. Alchemy in this stage is still largely a scholarly pursuit, and aside from a few strands of strengthened materials there is little practical use. Traditional medicine, however, means your troops will recover better after battle (i.e. less losses) and thus depletes less manpower (and money) when recovering.

Your initial units are listed in the spreadsheet.

Spoiler: Administration Rules (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Technology rules (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Province rules (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Units and combat (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: GM note (click to show/hide)

For any questions (or something I'm not explaining clearly enough), ASK.
Suggestion will be open until I’m convinced.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kingdom wars: the Rebuilding of Civilization and Empires [SG, updated 25/9]
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2013, 02:55:17 pm »

Again I can never understand the lack of interest here. Maybe I'm just in the wrong TZ after all.

Anyway, this game is updated, and the Kimkoans are now awaiting orders for the 1st turn.

I'll try to translate suggestion to in game mechanics so feel free to try anything sensible for a grand strategy game. I can adopt the rules to accommodate.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2013, 03:28:18 pm »

There's a couple of reasons for that. It's called kingdom wars: all things are mentioned in the plural, suggesting it's a multiplayer When thats found untrue people may not be interested.
Second, and probably the main reason if it isn't actively having lots of posters, it falls off the front few pages very quickly, and then it isn't seen.
Thirdly, if there isn't a interesting twist or something to get people's attention, people won't be interested. This looked pretty standard from the description.
Finally, bad luck. Sometimes you've posted it at the wrong time, or the people who would be interested haven't come online, or a multitude of little things. Don't worry too much about it. Try a multiplayer game once you've fleshed this out. They normally get more applicants than player slots.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 04:15:55 pm by GiglameshDespair »
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2013, 03:43:32 pm »

I only just noticed, is this a suggestion game, or a multiplayer thingy.

Confused now?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2013, 04:16:17 pm »

Its a suggestion game, based on the ideas for a multiplayer game.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2013, 09:05:17 pm »

I only just noticed, is this a suggestion game, or a multiplayer thingy.

Confused now?
It is a SG trying to flesh out a MP game.

Maybe I should keep the MP mechanics to myself, and just present the SG-y parts to the public.

But I still blame my TZ. My TZ. My TZ.

Ashsaber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2013, 09:28:40 pm »

[hypocritical advice]
I think keeping tedious technical detail from the players would help a lot.
[/hypocritical advice]

Hm...

So what -are- the possible actions we can take this turn?

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2013, 06:12:35 am »

[hypocritical advice]
I think keeping tedious technical detail from the players would help a lot.
[/hypocritical advice]

Hm...

So what -are- the possible actions we can take this turn?

Good Point, and Perhaps I should explain the nuances further.

Note from Alden Rorikson, written in Ancient language

Milord, this is things that your should have known already, but just as a recap.
We are now holding three provinces: Newly submitted Urdinaka, not-so-newly submitted Gorezpat, and Of course Kimkoa. We have a fighting force, totalling 2600 man spread around the three provinces. Those At Urdinaka, though, reported that the people are still not too happy with the manner of us enlarging the empire (You recall you married their heir apparent and claim the tribal leader for a Personal Union) and so they think their presence is still needed.

In layman terms: Detail force layout is in spreadsheet. Revolt risk is non-zero for Urdinaka and they suggest you not to move these troops.

Milord, while our realm is prosperous as usual, the scribes who worked under you has uncovered some areas of further understanding that they would like to undertake. They think they can undertake four projects at the same time, but they also persuade me - and thus you - to work on the the easier designs first. They also inform you to give them ideas.

[/i]In layman terms: Four Research projects, at most, selected from speadsheet. You can propose new tech/ideas to fill up holes.[/i]

In financial terms, we are getting 10 pieces of gold every [insert unit of time]. You can use them to pay troops, raise troops, build improvements, etc. The provinces can also provide some manpower (again listed in spreadsheet), and is needed for troops, but they will recover with time.

You are also reminded that while you are a capable ruler and is as good as two scribes, and should be put to good use by garrisoning in a province, you have only 5 units of scribbing power per turn. Doing things need scribes: You need scribes, or at least messengers, to command armies, and to raise troops. I will also need a scribe to communicate with you.

Layman terms: in previous posts, under governance. Regarding GP, or governance points, which is needed to do practically anything.

By the way, as I'm a religious person, I can help with defusing the situation of Urdinaka.

Layman terms: Different leaders have different skills. You (Garrick I)  have a Governance skill of 2 and should be posted to a province to reduce GP costs; Rorikson is a religious man and should be posted to a province to pacify people.

Please be reminded that While the people of Pavena are all corrupt, they are rich enough to find enough people to put up a fight. The Gengonians, on  the other hand, hates you (you remember that you are distant relatives), and could strike at anytime. However, unless you put a spy around you will never have accurate reports about their movement. Other places are less organized and are ripe for pickings.

Ashsaber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2013, 08:37:54 am »

Considering he's a religious person I'm guessing religious unrest isn't a thing (yet).

Aiight..lessee...

Rorikson goes to Urdinaka and preach all about...whatever religion we happen to be.
Royson goes and sits on the biggest source of money to make it bigger.

Forces stationed at Urdinaka should run patrols outside the city for rebels. There's always rebels. >:(

Techs:
Tribal Admin, Resumption of Trade, Rediscovery of Classics, Spear Formation

and
is common language a thing?
'cuz if it isn't then a tech to make everyone use the same script would be nice.
Alphabet :D?

if it is, then...
...actually, what's the status of the military? (Militia aside, are they paid soldiers or just, y'know, rich armored folks)
Meh, later.

Finally...Let's get some spies. :3

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2013, 01:19:42 pm »

(n.b. to self: Religions did play a large part to human history, but if we are sending a priest in name of the Sun and Moon, what he did was forstering some kind of syncretism. We are by some definitions Pagans; this might change a bit after we got more advanced on Religions.)

Rorikson went to Urdinaka and tried to pacify the people... (-1GP for Moving, -1GP for Upkeep)
But the revolt risk is still non-zero (+4 for base, -1 for troops, -2 for Rorisson=+2; D10=8>2); apparently the theories of Abiekia the Sun and Jakilargi the Moon are interesting enough to distract the people for the moment.
Rorikson got 2 experience for his efforts.

Royson Sits at Kimkoa, trying to ponder how to make more money... (not moving is free, ruler himself is free)...
but appearantly he thought employing a spy is much better (Used all 3GP). 3GP is 60 % effective at employing a spy... (1d5=1 Natural) you got a Level 3 spy.
Royson did not got any experience as he was not really governing.

Feel free to fill in his biography.
Spoiler: Level 3 Spy (click to show/hide)

For spying, you generally have two different approaches. One is to expend 1 GP to act as +0 spies, then +2 for every extra GP spent (subject to Governance GP bonus if applicable); these spies will only last for the turn. The other is to use an agent (you can even use a +0 agent if you want to train people), but then you will have to expend GP to retain his services, as well as ordering them to move.
No matter by what approach, you can post a spy at a location, or tell them to tag along an army, just like any agent. He would collect and information around the province, according to his level. A +0 would probably only report major troop movements; a +2 will give you a rough idea of what has assembled on the border; a +4 will give you a good idea of what has been moving around, and occasionally give very vague reports beyond the immediate area.

Spoiler: Tech Rolls (click to show/hide)

Scribes and wise men are trying to advance our knowledge. However, we have encountered problems in upgrading our administration, in organizing merchants, and even trying to drill our men into proper formation is not at all easy. We might have got a few leaves of books in the Ancient Language, but a minor fire had made it irrelevant.
In other words, nothing happened.

We do speak a similar language, but scribes think it is not cool enough to write it down. We do have writing system for the Ancient Language and most things are still written down as such.
(There will be a tech for this down the tree; actually planned just not written down yet.)

End of turn income
You have a total income of $10, and you pay $7.7 as army upkeep. Expensive, but it is needed for battle sharpness. You can skip payment but expect poor morale.
That means you now got another 2.3, and with your ancestral money that makes 12.3 in treasury. Some Manpower has recovered: please look into the spreadsheet.

The military is stated in the big big sheet. All of them are "provincial": in other words, not pressed serfs, but not really professionals. Think about tribesmen who are willing to serve in exchange for privileges.

Spoiler: Rule Changes (click to show/hide)

Ashsaber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2013, 10:13:14 pm »

Rorikson keeps doing his thing; make notes on what methods worked and what didn't (hopefully this'll make him more effective)

Royson start his government thing.

Spy: Someone bio him. :| I can't fluff people.
Send spy to...uh. huh.
hrm.
What minor neighbor can we raid, I wonder.
Have the spy...I dunno, practice sneaking around the house or something. We'll find something for 'em to do at some point.

Tech
Replace "Classics" with "Fire Prevention and Safety". Last thing we need is some old wise guy accidentally the entire library.
...or would that be "Candle Safety"?
...having to teach people who've probably used candles since forever how to be safe around them is probably not good for morale.
...maybe we'll find a bear in the future and put a funny hat on him for this tech.

Army
All units that are not occupied (patrol, peacekeeping) train. Dunno what good it'll do but if they're getting paid for it they better be earning it. >:(
Primary focus on covering for each other in 2 vs 3 drills, if possible. If not just have them spar.  ::)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2013, 06:20:41 am »

spy: Jack Jyson

Also, can't see the big sheet without making a google account. Damn.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2013, 06:24:59 am »

Rorikson does fine, and this time they seemed to be much pacified, but there are still rumblings. He recommended you to let him keep his presence there for a few turns. +3 exp. (-1 GP for agent).

Royson... You blow 3GP finding things to do, as you have nothing to do really. Turns out the flurry of scribes means there is more economical activity, and the tax base for Kimkoa is now 6.

The spy, Jack Jyson, gave you a short report on things. The two Gengonian provinces are always restness and their king wanted you dead (just as you wished him dead), so they must be kept on full alert. Pavena is probably too organized for us, plus they could easily supply by sea. He suggested that you select from Alremton, Prodovine, Korendon, and Doren Hills. Alremton is by the sea, so we could have a port. Prodovine is a forested area and might be useful. Korendon is a mountainous area and should not put up much resistance. Getting Doren Hills might also be useful. When you asked him to train, he laughed at that. He said a sensible spy would train every day, but while he gains in skill he loss dexterity equally. He volunteers to start working at Kimkoa, or if you want somewhere else. He even (hand)waived hir 1GP this turn.

Tech

The scribes laugh at that. They say they developed fire-prevention working guidelines.
Let's see what happens as they continue researching.
Spoiler: Rolls (click to show/hide)
Remarkably the Librarians has now do basic categorization of ancient tongue literature, and start producing copies (by hand of course) of them.
The A Quartermaster come up with some basic coordination and drills for the spearmen to keep in formation on march, and they started sparring immediately.

Army

You tell them to train. Again, they reported that they train every day. Spars, drills, all kind of stuff. Every unit are at regular level, but unless they face real enemies it is the best they can do. Complacency, if you call it.

End of turn income
You have a total income of $11, and you pay $7.7 as army upkeep.
Your treasury now measures $15.6. Some Manpower has recovered: please look into the spreadsheet.

INCOMING THREAT

Remember Urdinaka? And your beautiful wife which dowry is this land?

Well, turns out your in-law, Shiskim the Bald, who lost his bid of the leadership of Urdinaka, got really pissed off, and marched with 500 troops into Urdinaka! While they are just a group of rag-tags, you remember he isn't a bad leader, and he himself packs a punch.
In fact he is styling himself as the King of Urdinaka AND Kimkoa. An usurper, you may say. Anyway we must act now.

Enemy Composition:

200 Spears, Green
100 Shock Infantry, Regular (Shiskim)
200 Archers, Green

Aim: Control Urdinaka, Claim Throne

You may either retreat from the province (and join from Kimkoa a turn later), but this gives the enemy freebies. Alternately, you may try to hold out, as you got 300 more men than the opponent. Or something else.
You may tell Rorikson to hide from the conflict, or try to head the army.

(note: This is more or less a combat exercise.)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2013, 06:47:01 am »

Defend the province. With over 50% more men than him and the bonus of defending we should be fine. If Roickson has any command skill tell him to command our forces.
Commision the building of a library.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2013, 08:16:11 am »

Just to remind you:

We have a total of 2600 men.
1200 are at Kimkoa, with a balanced distribution of Spears, archers and Cavalry;
800 are at Urdinaka, Half Spears half Archers,
and if you like you can also move the 600 Gorezpat troops, which consists of 400 Shock Infantry and spears otherwise.

Rorikson is not a leader, but having him fight will help him learn the arts of war.

Please also consider that you will need 2GP each for the next 4 turns, subject to bonuses, and $10 to build the library.
Pages: 1 [2] 3