Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ramp = no path for dwarves ?  (Read 489 times)

aiseant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ramp = no path for dwarves ?
« on: September 17, 2013, 03:18:16 am »

Hi

I've made a road for caravan using 3*3 channels, and ramps. It works perfect for caravans, no problem on this side

However, my dwarves won't use this path, whatever I do. Worse : if it's the only path between my fort and outside, I cannot build anything outside, because "no access to xx"

Just ... why ?
http://tenshedkadol.wordpress.com/

As a Urist McFrenchy, please forgive my english

Heck, only the elves would tame a leech. [...] Just for this, I'm starting up lead goblet production. Anyone who tries to sell me a tame leech deserves to die from lead poisoning.

Geldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ramp = no path for dwarves ?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 04:37:16 am »

Use the loo(k) key to inspect the ramp.

If it says it's an unusable ramp, then your ramp is not connected to a wall block. If your ramp is adjacent to at least one wall tile, then the upper level will be completly accessible.

Strange, but wagons behave very differently with unusable ramps, because they can move between levels if the upper floor is vertically adjacent to the ramp (see figure b). Note, that wagons need a three tile wide ramp.

Pro tip:
This behavior can be used to separate wagons from the caravan. ;)

Here's a side view:
fig. a)
usable ramp (creatures and wagons can access the upper level):
         ☺
.  , . ▲▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓  <- rock layer

fig. b)
Unusable ramp (creatures can't use it but wagons can get to the 2nd floor):
        ____  <- floor
.☺ , . ▲      <- tunnel (only creatures can access this layer)
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

fig. c)
Unusable ramp (completley useless):
          _☺ <- floor
.  g . ▲     <- tunnel
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

So I think your entrance is arranged just like on figure "b". Build a single row of wall blocks right after the ramps, see figure "a"! That should do it.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 06:14:47 am by Geldrin »

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 06:48:22 am »

Interesting, I didn't know this. I guess you can use this to make a wagons only entrance that is inaccessible to non-flyer invaders. You can then trap the other entrance as you please since (IIRC?) the non-wagon parts of the caravan can path through trapped corridors. Anybody used this?

aiseant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 07:20:40 am »

This solve it, thanks a lot for the detailled explaination, Geldrin

vanatteveldt, I didn't knew the non-wagon was trapavoid :)
http://tenshedkadol.wordpress.com/

As a Urist McFrenchy, please forgive my english

Heck, only the elves would tame a leech. [...] Just for this, I'm starting up lead goblet production. Anyone who tries to sell me a tame leech deserves to die from lead poisoning.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 08:19:43 am »

Interesting, I didn't know this. I guess you can use this to make a wagons only entrance that is inaccessible to non-flyer invaders. You can then trap the other entrance as you please since (IIRC?) the non-wagon parts of the caravan can path through trapped corridors. Anybody used this?
I believe quite a few people use it. When I embark, I channel the entire edge of the map using that method and create a "welcome center" for those creatures that can't use the ramp. So I don't need to worry overmuch about caravans and such while keeping my fortress secure. However. be warned about channeling too close to the map edge in tree rich bioms. It's entirely possible for the wagons  to spawn where they can't reach the channel and you get an annoying 'wagons have bypassed your inaccessible site' message even though the UI claims your depot is accessible.