Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Nether-Cap !!SCIENCE!!  (Read 3905 times)

Kogan Onulsodel

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Physicist
    • View Profile
Nether-Cap !!SCIENCE!!
« on: September 17, 2013, 02:10:49 am »

So, I'm fairly new to Dwarf Fortress, and especially to the forum, so I wanted to start out by asking whether the !!SCIENCE!! that I want to do has been done.

Nether-Caps are special. Magma-safe trees. So my thought is, could you make a nether-cap waterwheel run... on Magma? Actually, this project is almost done (if it works, I'm hoping to have Dwarven Magma Reactor after the next chance I get to play Dwarf Fortress... though a Forgotten Beast found its way into the magma chamber I'm going to pump from, and my military is woefully unprepared right now... he seems content knocking over gear assemblies for now, so I'm gonna throw up a wall to keep him out until I'm ready for him... but as soon as I've taken care of the beast, I should be able to get my Geothermal Plant up and running, it's just bad luck that he showed up right when I'd gotten the nether-caps that I need). So hopefully that all works out, and I'll have word on Dwarven Geothermal Plants.

But I had a couple of other questions that seemed just as interesting. Well, first of all, there's Dragonfire. What if you captured a dragon, incorporated it into your defense, and built its enclosure out of nether-cap logs? Is the awesome power of the nether-cap dragonfire proof? Seems like it should be. Sadly, doing that experiment seems hard... I'll need a dragon to attack, and I'll need to be prepared when it happens.

Finally, I was wondering: if you could get nether-cap high boots, could a dorf walk in 1/7 magma?

Kogan Onulsodel

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Physicist
    • View Profile
Re: Nether-Cap !!SCIENCE!!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 02:30:37 am »

And... uhh... I guess there was an error when I posted? So... ignore the other copy of this thread, I guess, I'll just... use this one. *hangs head in shame for internet incompetence*

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 03:08:07 am »

well sorry to dash your hopes of geothermal power but I'm prety sure magma does not flow in a way that would power a waterwheel.  I'm all but sure you could build your nethercap magmawheel just fine but it wont generate any power.  you'll have to use water although there are several ways to make a cistern of water flow without actualy haveing it go anywhere but still power wheels.

As far as nethercap vs dragonfire I'm honestly not sure but I think it should work.  Nethercap has a fixed tempature so its literaly impossible to heat it up to its melting/burning point so dragonfire should not be able to affect it.

Nethercap highboots.  this is dwarf fortress not elf fortress.  Dwarves can not make armor out of wood so it would be impossible to make nethercap highboots as elves do not have access to nethercaps they cant make it either.  That said I dont think this would work anyway as dispite the odd fixed tempature propertys of nethercap if a loose item made of nethercap is tossed in magma it will get destroyed.  On top of that dwarves will refuse to path through any amount of magma so you couldnt get them to even try and would have to force magma to flow into them to test.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 05:15:09 am »

I believe someone actually modded in wooden plate armour (full coverage) back in DF2010 or 40d for the express purpose of sending a magmanaut clad in Nether-cap to the Great Magma Sea.

IIRC it did actually work, but I don't think just boots would be sufficient, as I suspect the magma temp is for the whole tile (1 urist x 1 urist x 1 urist).

Kogan Onulsodel

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Physicist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 10:04:03 am »

That's really interesting... someone actually did the mod I was thinking of? And it worked?! Huh. Some might say that modding to be able to make wooden armor is too elfy, but I think a magma diving suit might be justification enough.

Too bad about geothermal though. *sigh* Normal water reactors just don't seem dorfy enough. Oh, well, maybe I'll just have to settle for making more elaborate feedback mechanisms.

In the meantime, I've got a whole bunch of nether-cap logs that were purposed for waterwheels. Any other interesting science?

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 10:49:43 am »

Quoting from the other thread, to try and get people discussing in this one (since it's one longer already atm, and Kogan said to use this one)...
Nethercap boots falling into magma would probably still be destroyed on the spot - afaik, loose items submerged in lava automatically get destroyed if they're not made from metal or stone; this allegedly circumvents the magma-immunity of glass and nethercap, while buildings made from such materials are safe. I've never tried this rigorously, though.
Check whether nether-cap minecarts disappear in magma. Well, I guess I'll be doing that myself too eventually, but if you're all set up already... They'd be lighter than (about 7% the weight of) iron/steel and thus better suited for hauling magma around.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 11:39:12 am »

What if you captured a dragon, incorporated it into your defense, and built its enclosure out of nether-cap logs? Is the awesome power of the nether-cap dragonfire proof?

all built constructions (walls, stairs, floors, ramps, fortifications, etc.) are intrinsically fireproof, so it doesn't matter what you make them out of.

Kogan Onulsodel

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Physicist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 09:53:22 pm »

That's true, but I might want some kind of maintenance access, so being able to block off the dragon with something that isn't otherwise dragonfire safe might be nice. The wiki suggests building a bridge out of adamantine will make it last longer, but it would be really nice to have something to block off the dragonfire bunker to do access long-term.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 10:08:35 pm »

I believe someone actually modded in wooden plate armour (full coverage) back in DF2010 or 40d for the express purpose of sending a magmanaut clad in Nether-cap to the Great Magma Sea.

IIRC it did actually work, but I don't think just boots would be sufficient, as I suspect the magma temp is for the whole tile (1 urist x 1 urist x 1 urist).

Did they ever get that to work properly? All I remember is magmanauts bleeding to death from fingers and toes because, due to an armor-coverage glitch, gauntlets and boots didn't protect digits. Not sure if they ever got that fixed.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 10:47:00 pm »

On the geothermal stuff, yeah I wish we had some form of geothermal power capability, the energy potential is there, we just need a way to do it that doesn't kill FPS.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 11:01:23 pm »

Did they ever get that to work properly? All I remember is magmanauts bleeding to death from fingers and toes because, due to an armor-coverage glitch, gauntlets and boots didn't protect digits. Not sure if they ever got that fixed.
It's been a while since I read the thread(s), so all I remembered was it "pretty much" worked.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 11:21:56 pm »

That's true, but I might want some kind of maintenance access, so being able to block off the dragon with something that isn't otherwise dragonfire safe might be nice. The wiki suggests building a bridge out of adamantine will make it last longer, but it would be really nice to have something to block off the dragonfire bunker to do access long-term.

Unfortunatly even if you made the bridge out of nethercap you'd need to mod in the ability to make mechinisms out of wood or the bridge would eventualy poof when the non dragonproof mechinism melted.

Urist MacNoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Indrick Boreale, Adventurus Astartes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 10:43:16 am »

"Urist IV, do you copy?"

"...Bit of static, but we've got you, overseer."

"Do you have visual, Urist IV? Where's your team?"

"The drop scattered us, overseer. Urist V and Urist II are here, but the others are somewhere off in this blazing expanse."

"Urist IV? You're breaking up, do you copy?"

"...It's beautiful, overseer. We've found it--. We've--. Urist II, watch o--. This place... Is -- Murder-- We found it, overseer... We found-- ... ... ... Maglantis--"
Coldmonkey: "The idea that having flaming tools and introducing them to the intimate workings of someone you don't get along with is much too human for these forums. I mean, it's not really that hard, is it? Anyone can wield a torch, it doesn't prove anything. Wearing flaming clothes on the other hand, or better yet, wearing nothing at all and being on fire... that is the essence of dwarfish behavior."

dbay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 04:42:30 pm »

I think the result is that, if you modded out fingers, toes, and lips (and maybe a few other bits) or burned them all off in a controlled environment, you could make dwarves magmaproof with nethercap armour.

I remember reading somewhere that the coverage bug was fixed, but I'm not 100% sure about it. Looks like more !!SCIENCE!! has to be done.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 12:44:53 pm »

Regarding nether-cap minecarts and magma, I tried it a while ago in df2012. They do, in fact, cease to exist upon entry. Much to my dismay, as I went to a bit of trouble to get my hands on some, hoping not to have to spend valuable trees to smelt iron before getting my minecart magma factory working. It didn't work :(
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread
Pages: [1] 2