Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 856432 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #3975 on: October 23, 2022, 01:16:58 pm »

Stuff like this makes me sad when mods already do the official expansion better in many ways.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mkok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3976 on: October 23, 2022, 05:19:59 pm »

Stuff like this makes me sad when mods already do the official expansion better in many ways.

the dlcs kinda feel like a cash grab tbh...  so how does the new dlc play? Is it worth picking rimworld back up since the last 2 dlcs? How viable is the game withouth some of the dlcs, especially regarding mods? Last I played was with royalty and I didnt really like the feel the dlc gave the game, I liked my "stranded on backwater planet" feeling more then the "welcome to our empire" feel.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3977 on: October 25, 2022, 08:46:13 am »

The game is very customizable. You can just remove the Empire faction if you don't want them, and still use the psycast stuff if you want to. Or ignore it entirely.

The DLC are pretty reasonably priced for what you get imo.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3978 on: October 25, 2022, 12:08:20 pm »

You can just remove the Empire faction if you don't want them

That's new to me. In the past I've heard modders complain about the empire being hard-coded, and the only way to play without them is to disable the entire DLC. Did Tyanan finally listen to their complaints and change that?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3979 on: October 25, 2022, 12:16:49 pm »

I think it was Ideology which added the ability to add and remove factions, including mechanoids and insects.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3980 on: October 25, 2022, 12:40:43 pm »

I generally think Rimworld DLCs are pretty good value and provide a bunch of good stuff for the price. More importantly, I think they all stand on their own mostly and it doesn't feel like you're missing out on the base game experience, which I feel a lot of games end up doing, with content that should be core content becoming paid.

It's not perfect, there was a reddit post about Biotech not integrating well with Ideology, but that will probably be fixed once Tynan sees more suggestions and feedback about how they should all play together.

Granted I use a large amount of mods, mostly which just provide tweaks and vanilla-like experience, but that honestly works in Rimworld's favor. Ideology might seem a bit light, but it also provides a robust framework for many more developers to iterate on to.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3981 on: October 25, 2022, 01:01:17 pm »

You can just remove the Empire faction if you don't want them

That's new to me. In the past I've heard modders complain about the empire being hard-coded, and the only way to play without them is to disable the entire DLC. Did Tyanan finally listen to their complaints and change that?
I'm uncertain if that's a recent change but you can now remove the empire, mechhive, and insects if you don't want to play with them.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3982 on: October 25, 2022, 03:02:39 pm »

I generally think Rimworld DLCs are pretty good value and provide a bunch of good stuff for the price. More importantly, I think they all stand on their own mostly and it doesn't feel like you're missing out on the base game experience, which I feel a lot of games end up doing, with content that should be core content becoming paid.

It's not perfect, there was a reddit post about Biotech not integrating well with Ideology, but that will probably be fixed once Tynan sees more suggestions and feedback about how they should all play together.

Granted I use a large amount of mods, mostly which just provide tweaks and vanilla-like experience, but that honestly works in Rimworld's favor. Ideology might seem a bit light, but it also provides a robust framework for many more developers to iterate on to.

The DLC's really don't seem like good value if the most common mod lists and quality of life mod lists count in the dozens if not hundreds.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3983 on: October 25, 2022, 03:27:36 pm »

Whether it's valuable is a personal choice really, and depends on how much you care about the content. It's subjective, there is not absolute answer. If you don't think they're valuable, don't buy them.

Oddly enough I'm most excited about the mods that will be able to use the new DLC systems and features to do even crazier things.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3984 on: October 25, 2022, 03:41:49 pm »

There's also something of a gaping hole in terms of DLC interaction. In some ways it makes sense - DLC-DLC is something of a controversial topic, to say the least - but ideologies not interacting with xenobiology or children is... lacking.

Mods can pick that up and run with it, and I expect they will.

And yeah, more broadly - particularly for Royalty - I find the systems and thus modding tools they add to be bigger than the vanilla content additions.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #3985 on: October 25, 2022, 04:02:57 pm »

Bull, bull, bull.
Rest of the sigs
The helicopter is rent apart by the collision, its steel unable to resist its inevitable reunion with the ground, and the meat within is smashed by the crumpling cockpit beyond any practical hope of recovery. What comes up, must come down again. Ore and ape, returned to mother planet's embrace.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3986 on: October 28, 2022, 08:06:04 pm »

Bull, bull, bull.
O.O 7x7 bedrooms? how do you fit a full colony plus prisoners/slaves and all the other stuff? How big does your base's footprint get later on? Curious.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #3987 on: October 29, 2022, 08:41:32 am »

They are probably excessive, but don't really take up enormous amount of space, since i never get over 10 colonists and until relatively recently didn't go past 5. Here are screens of my last techie colony after SoS2 ending.
We may be devmode-wielding brains in upgrades, but our stockpile will still look like pigsty.  :P
« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 08:50:59 am by MCreeper »
Rest of the sigs
The helicopter is rent apart by the collision, its steel unable to resist its inevitable reunion with the ground, and the meat within is smashed by the crumpling cockpit beyond any practical hope of recovery. What comes up, must come down again. Ore and ape, returned to mother planet's embrace.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3988 on: October 29, 2022, 09:25:47 am »

Bull, bull, bull.
O.O 7x7 bedrooms? how do you fit a full colony plus prisoners/slaves and all the other stuff? How big does your base's footprint get later on? Curious.

To be fair, it doesn't count as several people if they're all clones of each other ;)

This is my current colony. Colonists get 5x5 rooms here rather than the standard 5x4 rooms I've usually gone with in the past.

It's not super planned -- I'm not particularly happy with where the hospital ended up (upper right) as it's pretty far away, and in hindsight should probably have put it between the two farm zones on the left. The hospital look weird right now because it's built to accommodate for sterile walls and hospital furniture (from Vanilla Expanded Furniture -- Hospital module) eventually without me having to tear down the original walls (I also like encasing my sterile walls since they cost so much and I hate seeing them blown up).

Prisons (the little side room on the left of the main hall and the wooden shack by the hill west of the main cluster) are also temporary right now, but they're not priority number one for the moment. No slave yet this run, haven't had any prisoners I deemed worthy that I didn't rather just recruit. No idea where I would put those. Potentially in the space where the hospital could have gone.

Production was supposed to go in the central-east room that's all storage right now, but the storage filled up before I had the time to move anything in there. I'm terribly behind on production research anyway, not even able to take apart the mechs I've taken down so far (I got very lucky and one of the first pirate raids netted me three smoke launchers and EMP grenades, so Mechs basically cannot hurt me in any way so far).

I don't think 5x5 rooms take too much space for a colony. I'm using them as pseudo-walls right now, so that my colonists always are close to the battlements if we're raided at night.

What size do you usually make them, Ygdrad?
Love, scriver~

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3989 on: October 29, 2022, 03:43:25 pm »

I'm a 3 X 4 room and be grateful your not in the slave pens.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 280