Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 856268 times)

Mkok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #3735 on: April 10, 2021, 07:26:45 pm »

thx for letting me know  ;D

It did not work at first, so I googled every mod that is listed as not being for 1.2, and most of the time found a compatible version on steam, which I then downloaded either using the included git link, or using some site I found on ludeon forums for downloading mods from steam workshop. Only three mods had to be removed in the end  :D

P.S. I have been playing Rimworld since A4, back then forum was the only place for mods. Its so unusual for me to not find them there so easily.

P.S.S. So I am currently halfway through the 4th day, and I already had talks about cannibalism, colonists become a couple, a marriage proposal and rejection followed by breakup and iguanas trying to eat my food. Still great game
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 10:54:51 am by Mkok »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: April 12, 2021, 08:15:03 am »

thx for letting me know  ;D

It did not work at first, so I googled every mod that is listed as not being for 1.2, and most of the time found a compatible version on steam, which I then downloaded either using the included git link, or using some site I found on ludeon forums for downloading mods from steam workshop. Only three mods had to be removed in the end  :D

P.S. I have been playing Rimworld since A4, back then forum was the only place for mods. Its so unusual for me to not find them there so easily.

I hope you're using https://steamworkshopdownloader.io/ because I've found some other sites will have broken and incomplete zips. You don't actually get all the files but the archive will still open, and give you 5 out of a thousand files, as if nothing is wrong. Every other solution is a case by case basis as the modder scene is split between at least 4 sites (steam, ludeon, git, and rimworldbase). My most recent multi hour search for a fix ended up taking me to a dev branch of Combat Extended that was finalized and awaiting a commit from the main branch. It was ready to go. But that was a link in a steam thread that lead to another forum that led to the github. I also had to replace a turret mod that had not been patched by Combat, which had castrated those turrets. They didn't shoot. Combat Extended still has major issues but is kinda still better than vanilla. Vanilla kills you from getting your left pinkie shot off while Combat Extended tends to kill you from friendly fire to the back of the head.

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: April 12, 2021, 02:19:39 pm »

Just wondering, but how well do mods for 1.0 or 1.1 work with 1.2? I havent played this since 1.0, and most mods on the forum say they are for 1.0, so I was wondering if half of those mods will report me an error once I am done with downloading few dozens more...
Usually mods for 1.1 will be compatible with 1.2, but mods for 1.0 is extremely unlikely to be compatible with other versions unless it only makes minor XML changes. Rimworld 1.1 made pretty big changes to its codes and also changed version of Harmony used, rendering almost all C# mods for 1.0 useless.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: April 13, 2021, 04:06:08 am »

I've decided to try my pathetic skills at youtubing and make a video about the most basic mods you may want to have that don't add "extra" content.
If you are curious, Mkok, check it out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLMwcgy1b0s

The first mod in the list, Mod Manager (by Fluffy) fixes most of my problems with the default Workshop/Mod manager functionality.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: April 23, 2021, 02:55:53 pm »

Does anyone else find that Randy throws diseases at them constantly? I'm finding it near impossible to maintain a medicine stockpile because of the non-stop plagues, flus, gut worms and muscle parasites. I'm in temperate forest, the disease rate is less than 2 a year but I'm a year and a half in and I've dealt with three bouts of gut worms, one bout of muscle parasites, three bouts of flu and two bouts of plague.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: April 23, 2021, 03:10:40 pm »

No, but I have seen Randy throw rapid-fire raids at you. I just recently lost a colony to the double-whammy of a major drop pod raid (10 baddies scattered all over the map, intent on breaking my shit and kidnapping my dudes and fighting to the last rather than breaking off the attack after enough casualties) and a lich attack (Rimworld of Magic mod). The lich showed up while the first battle was still ongoing and proceeded to send huge waves of skeletons my way. Didn't even have time to patch my wounded and had to throw all of my animals into the fray just to try and slow them down.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: April 24, 2021, 10:11:36 am »

Yeah Randy can really give unorthodox experiences on either side of a scale. Once had a colony that wasn't raided for more than a year.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: May 10, 2021, 03:52:48 pm »

I recently found out that in order to beat the game, you don't actually need to reach the rocket on the map and repair it, and that you can actually just build one. Which made all my attempts to mass migrate my entire base multiple times completely pointless. Not only was in a boring grindy mess to do, but I don't see a reason to ever do it. Why burn hundreds/thousands of rations, expose your guys to dangerous environments, and abandon resources that you can't move, when you could just not do that and get the same result?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: May 10, 2021, 04:36:55 pm »

Because you're a tribal, challenging yourself, or just find it easier to mass build drop pods.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: May 10, 2021, 09:42:31 pm »

Yeah, it is a weird mechanic in the game. Presumably it is to deal with a lack of mining resources at mid-game, but you would absolutely lose more in moving than gain from mining somewhere else.

I've only done it as a way to tank value if raids were too difficult. Even in the tribal situation - farms are so essential that moving and restarting all your growth is rough unless your timing is perfect and you have a lot of animals to help haul.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: May 11, 2021, 11:18:35 am »

It's poor planning and bad balance. Don't assume late game was well thought out.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: May 11, 2021, 03:06:13 pm »

I'd argue that if you look at it from the mindset of being a 'story generator' (which is its claim), it does make some sense. It doesn't have to be balanced, but having a nomadic group traveling (with great hardship) toward a distant goal can make for a good story. Though personally I'd think it'd be better if there was something between 'no travel' and 'other side of the world' travel; wouldn't have to be for the shuttle off planet, but could be an interesting quest (with appropriate incentives). As is pretty much the only reason to do it is for making a story.

Now that I think about it, it'd be pretty neat to have an 'establish a base' quest where you make a base with certain basic structures for another faction, then abandon it to them.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: May 11, 2021, 03:17:22 pm »

Needless rant regarding DF vs. Rimworld, dev philosophy, below

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hermit games are still my favorite way to play, as long as you turn off the disease mechanic (another thing they got horribly wrong. where are natural immunities? Why did a 24 year old die from the flu, when provided with food and water and a comfy bed? Why can't you recuperate WHILE ALSO cooking for yourself?). Nothing is more exciting than trying to survive raids with just one pawn, walls, turrets, and a bunch of grenades.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: May 24, 2021, 08:24:54 am »

Needless rant regarding DF vs. Rimworld, dev philosophy, below

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hermit games are still my favorite way to play, as long as you turn off the disease mechanic (another thing they got horribly wrong. where are natural immunities? Why did a 24 year old die from the flu, when provided with food and water and a comfy bed? Why can't you recuperate WHILE ALSO cooking for yourself?). Nothing is more exciting than trying to survive raids with just one pawn, walls, turrets, and a bunch of grenades.

How is Rimworld lifted from Dwarf Fortress more than any other colony game? Don't get me wrong, it clearly takes some inspiration from DF, but it's a game that attempts to have a more or less tight gameplay experience with constant raids based on your apparent strength, with a win condition.

Dwarf fortress is more of a sandbox and there are some loose conditions based on wealth and population for raids, but the raids aren't being constantly aimed at you to keep you on your toes. 

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: May 24, 2021, 12:41:53 pm »

How is Rimworld lifted from Dwarf Fortress more than any other colony game? Don't get me wrong, it clearly takes some inspiration from DF, but it's a game that attempts to have a more or less tight gameplay experience with constant raids based on your apparent strength, with a win condition.

Dwarf fortress is more of a sandbox and there are some loose conditions based on wealth and population for raids, but the raids aren't being constantly aimed at you to keep you on your toes. 

The Rimworld dev has specifically cited DF way back when they first revealed the early versions. This is why the two are compared. At least that's what I remember at the time.
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 280