Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 856355 times)

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #3240 on: December 06, 2018, 10:21:01 am »

Dodgy? It worked perfectly! Dwarves spent all their money on socks and drink and then got evicted because they couldn't pay their rent. Just like in real life!
I personally liked it, since it meant my bias towards my starting dwarves could be justified by having 90% of migrants have to live in 2x1 cells I could mass produce, whereas my founders got to have 7x7 outfitted with superior+ furniture and statues.
Then again, most of my migrants were forced into pump laboring in order to bulk up before being assigned to the meat shield squad.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: December 06, 2018, 02:57:37 pm »

Been there, done that. Assuming socks is a metaphor for recreational herbal substances  ;)
So your socks are dank in both senses of the word...?   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: December 06, 2018, 03:32:17 pm »

I have that flaw too; I just can't create a dystopia. Worst things I've done in Rimworld is harvesting organs from pirates, who, well, are baddie marauders. Even then I've usually let the prisoner go afterwards as a compensation. I might have harvested hearts and/or livers from really bad baddies though (psychopaths mostly).

Oh, I can't manage a dystopia either. I'm using a mod to harvest organs from corpses now, mostly because it doesn't make sense to me that it's only possible to get one vital organ from a given body. This has had a fortunate side effect, in concert with the 67% instant death on incapacitation rate, of providing such a surplus of organs that I no longer need to keep prisoners for spare parts and therefore punitively perma-incapacitate people.

The worst things I do now are nutrient paste dispensers and, under conditions of gravest necessity, going without tables.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: December 06, 2018, 03:47:07 pm »

Oh, I can't manage a dystopia either. I'm using a mod to harvest organs from corpses now, mostly because it doesn't make sense to me that it's only possible to get one vital organ from a given body. This has had a fortunate side effect, in concert with the 67% instant death on incapacitation rate, of providing such a surplus of organs that I no longer need to keep prisoners for spare parts and therefore punitively perma-incapacitate people.

The worst things I do now are nutrient paste dispensers and, under conditions of gravest necessity, going without tables.

I recommend Death Rattle. When a pawn takes enough damage to reduce a stat to 0 they get a progressive status effect that eventually kills them. So if I take a pawns liver I can hustle while he's dying of liver failure and pull out his heart and lungs too. I don't go proper dystopia unless I can manage it without hurting efficiency. If  I can keep most everyone happy I don't mind having one person who keeps freaking out that we're chopping up raiders for fuel and hats.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: December 07, 2018, 09:01:40 am »

Will upset colonists eventually abandon the colony? I haven't played enough to have that happen that I've noticed
Love, scriver~

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: December 07, 2018, 09:11:51 am »

Will upset colonists eventually abandon the colony? I haven't played enough to have that happen that I've noticed

it's one of the mental break, so the trigger is the same as the other breaks and can randomly happen

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: December 07, 2018, 10:31:43 am »

If it's a mental break, can they be stoped by arresting them before they leave the colony?
Love, scriver~

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: December 07, 2018, 10:38:40 am »

If it's a mental break, can they be stoped by arresting them before they leave the colony?

that need testing, because they get removed from the colonist faction. probably yes, if you can catch them - but likely they going to go trough the prisoner recruitment again.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: December 07, 2018, 11:04:14 am »

There are two mental breaks that take them out of the colony as I recall. Running Wild and Giving Up.

Running Wild makes them a wild animal that needs to be tamed, they mostly meander around the map eating and sleeping what and where they can. I think they can leave the map if they run out of available food. This one instantly removes them from your faction.

Giving Up has them just start walking towards the edge of the map. If you can arrest them or make them go berserk before they get there they stay in your faction I think, provided they don't reach an actual cell of course.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: December 07, 2018, 12:33:19 pm »

on a side note, just discovered another fun event

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: December 07, 2018, 08:25:14 pm »

it's one of the mental break, so the trigger is the same as the other breaks and can randomly happen
Oh cool, I've never had that happen. Then again I haven't played... too much in recent versions.
I'm generally pretty bad at making dystopias, I allow my colonists every comfort I am able to... unless I dislike a specific character for some reason, in which case they really get the short end of the stick, getting the shittiest room and being ordered to go drag distant items to a stockpile at any moment no matter what they're busy with.   
Also my treatment of prisoners tends to be... rather unkind. I haven't managed to set up a proper prison farm in a while, but what I like to do is just dump my prisoners in a large fenced (mod) field and have them farm the shit out of it. Possibly with a shed for 'em to sleep in. Continual malingerers (or anyone who tries to break out or start a fight) get blasted with shotguns from outside the fence until they behave.
If they do their job well, I start treating them more nicely! It's certainly easier than having devoted grower pawns to do your farming, whose mental and physical wellbeing you have to worry about.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: December 07, 2018, 08:57:50 pm »

My prisons tend to be fairly pleasant work camps. Nice decor, same food the colonists eat usually, mostly work farming and harvesting and stone cutting, also mining since I added a mod that adds quarries as a building to provide stone chunks, and cleaning since I added the lockable doors mod. It's just not very hard to treat them fine if in an easy biome. If space or food are more difficult to provide I just release all the ones I don't want to recruit urgently unless I have someone who's down with butchering them for supplies.

Current run I'm trying out the magic rim mod, wanted to check it out in combination with the medieval mod. Firstly, I'm pretty impressed by the mod, it seems pretty neat in general, the UI for it isn't bad and spellcasters are rare enough they don't seem too normal. But I may have found a way to exploit necromancy by shoving the necromancer in an ancient cryptosleep casket between reanimating batches of zombies. Normally they can't sustain more than 3 for long before they run out of mana and corpses start dusting, but by shoving them in the casket their mana isn't affected by their zombie horde, so it regenerates normally, meaning they can be popped out later and used to animate more zombies before heading back to the casket.

Currently sitting at 32 zombies and one living person trundling about, with 2 more live people in caskets one of which is the necro, so a tiny bit more than the 3 or so zombies per necromancer the mod intends.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: December 08, 2018, 12:24:29 am »

My prisons tend to be incredibly barebones.  One of my most successful colonies spent a long time with just a 2x4 room with 3 beds and a standing lamp as a prison.  Every now and again a prisoner would have some article of clothing I'd really want so the remaining tile was a critical priority pants stockpile.  The only prisoners who stay long are the ones I want to recruit, everyone else just gets their wounds bandaged and then let go as soon as they can plausibly walk home.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: December 08, 2018, 01:59:26 am »

Lately I've tended to make two prisons. One cramped barracks with the bare minimum, and then a single-person suit cell with lots of mood raising furniture, smoothed floor and walls, and so on. The latter is where I keep the current indoctrination victim, better mood = faster recruitment.
Love, scriver~

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: December 08, 2018, 10:17:34 am »

I play with prison labor so my prison is a dingy barracks with a quarry and I bite the bullet with the long recruiting process. May try the two prisons thing though.
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 280