Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 856399 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #3165 on: November 02, 2018, 12:32:53 am »

So sending out superfluous pawns to die in raids is a good way to keep future raids under control?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: November 02, 2018, 01:20:46 am »

Are the raiders persistent? Will I find them in nearby settlements if I go there?

It looks like the smallest medium is the default map size, but that's just way too small for a decent sized base. Do people really play on that one? Large says AI will be screwed up, so I pick the largest medium.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: November 02, 2018, 01:28:22 am »

So sending out superfluous pawns to die in raids is a good way to keep future raids under control?
Pretty much lol.  Or putting a wimp with 14% pain from scars out in front of your army, in full marine armor.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: November 02, 2018, 04:38:08 am »

Are the raiders persistent? Will I find them in nearby settlements if I go there?

It looks like the smallest medium is the default map size, but that's just way too small for a decent sized base. Do people really play on that one? Large says AI will be screwed up, so I pick the largest medium.

1. Possibly, I think. I'm not sure on the chances of them appearing in places you go. I know that I've gotten repeat visitors from friendly factions to my colony.

2. I picked the largest medium to play on as well. I've got a pretty good amount of space. So far room for to house about a dozen colonists in 5x6 rooms and other facilities besides, and I still have plenty of room to build out.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: November 02, 2018, 09:21:58 am »

Raiders (and manhunter packs) have a point buy system for obtaining units.  According to the source code you linked they get an "adaption" bonus which scales with time and is reduced if raiders down or kill your colonists.  The adaption bonus ends with this code:

Code: [Select]
unfactoredpoints *= Find.Storyteller.difficulty.threatScale;
//2.6 for merciless, 1.6 for savage and 1.0 for rought
//in case of savage, this line will contribute much more points then wealth and pawns combined multiple times

"unfactoredpoints" is just wealth + colonist contribution (number + quality) times the random factor (from randy random only afaik). So this is technically true,  but it's like saying "2x contributes more than x".

You don't even need to do that. Just directly murdering one of your own colonists works just fine. In fact keeping a low population (so the storyteller keeps giving you freebies constantly) and murdering everyone who joins is a way to make the game a lot easier in exchange for a minor mood debuff.

If you don't want to murder anyone, just make a "heat box" with a ton of heaters and put someone inside, crank up the heat until they pass out then turn it down so they can recover unharmed. Just do that every now and then and things will be a lot easier because the storyteller thinks you're doing really bad. If I'm understanding the code right you get 1 "adaptation point" per day and lose 6 when a colonist goes down so you just have to do it every 6 days to keep that adaptation multiplier low (I'm not sure if 2x colonists getting heat boxed gives -12, I'd guess "yes" but...)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 11:43:25 am by BurnedToast »
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: November 02, 2018, 01:08:44 pm »

We're both wrong on that point actually, since unfactored points have already been multiplied by adaption at that point.  The comments also make no sense since it says that it will contribute more than pawns and wealth together but... its just multiplying those things.  I don't know.

Anyway, the pawnnumber difficulty component is equal to 22,400 wealth per pawn.  My colony right now has around 265k wealth, and 17 pawns.  110k of my wealth comes from buildings and is thus halved.  This means that my overall difficulty contribution is:

210,000 from wealth.
380,800 from my 17 pawns.

Then there are two values derived from those contributions added together:
354,480 additional points from rough difficulty.
My effective difficulty will be between 378,112 and 1,512,448 based on my adaption.

Note that difficulty from wealth gives diminishing returns past 400,000.  If you reach the soft cap of 18 pawns (for cassandra and phoebe, for Randy the soft cap is 50), your difficulty from pawns will exceed 400,000.  So basically as long as you make sure to keep up a constant cycle of selling trade goods rather than storing them, you're fine.  Also remember that while weapons sell for 20%, they still contribute fully to your wealth rating.  So break down weapons you aren't using (which is already a good policy anyway).
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: November 02, 2018, 03:25:45 pm »

We're both wrong on that point actually, since unfactored points have already been multiplied by adaption at that point.  The comments also make no sense since it says that it will contribute more than pawns and wealth together but... its just multiplying those things.  I don't know.

Yeah, I mixed up the order, that is after adaptation not before oops. :-[ Not that it makes any difference, like you say the comment seems to be nonsense either way.

Anyway, the pawnnumber difficulty component is equal to 22,400 wealth per pawn.  My colony right now has around 265k wealth, and 17 pawns.  110k of my wealth comes from buildings and is thus halved.  This means that my overall difficulty contribution is:

210,000 from wealth.
380,800 from my 17 pawns.

Then there are two values derived from those contributions added together:
354,480 additional points from rough difficulty.
My effective difficulty will be between 378,112 and 1,512,448 based on my adaption.

Note that difficulty from wealth gives diminishing returns past 400,000.  If you reach the soft cap of 18 pawns (for cassandra and phoebe, for Randy the soft cap is 50), your difficulty from pawns will exceed 400,000.  So basically as long as you make sure to keep up a constant cycle of selling trade goods rather than storing them, you're fine.  Also remember that while weapons sell for 20%, they still contribute fully to your wealth rating.  So break down weapons you aren't using (which is already a good policy anyway).

That's not how it works, colonists don't give a set number of points - the per-colonist value is multiplied by wealth, aka more wealth = each colonist counts for more.

Zizard gives a formula right below for wealth up to 400k, which looks accurate, but I don't think I'd spot any mistakes (I've pretty much reached the edge of my code reading ability here). I plugged your colony into it and it said your colonist and wealth contribution were almost equal (colonists had ~10% higher contribution).

Doing some calculations, decreasing your wealth by 75% would decrease your raid strength by 72%, while killing 13 of your colonists (76%) would only decrease your raid strength by 40%. So it seems to me, at least, that wealth is a much bigger factor here and you just happen to have hit the "sweet spot" where they are basically equal, but I guess you can play with the formula and draw your own conclusions.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: November 02, 2018, 06:59:31 pm »

Dandelions did their job, kept the animals fed until the haygrass could be harvested. Good I suppose since the growers just aren't replanting the field for some reason. From the first haygrass harvest, a few thousand pieces stored, plus another 3580 sent to a nearby tribal village in exchange for a resurrection serum and a vanometric power cell.

I'm just going to guess that, being tribals, they probably didn't know that they were literally holding both infinite power and the ability to reverse death itself, or else they'd probably have wanted more than a few acres worth of pet food.

Also for some reason I haven't gotten any kind of raid, or even a generally bad thing happening lately. Checked the storyteller settings, and found that it somehow got set to Cassandra, when I originally had it to Phoebe. I think they're planning something.

EDIT: Boomrats are gone. A psychic ship landed near my northern fields. One boomrat was crushed by the ship, it's deathsplosion triggering the defenders, a pair of lancers. The rest of the boomrats were sacrificed against the ship while my colonists rallied. Using the outdoor table I set up near the field as cover, they took down the mechanoids in the open, then finished the vessel off with grenades. No casualties other than the rats. I expected more mechanoids coming out of that ship to be honest.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 07:29:51 pm by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: November 04, 2018, 11:02:26 am »

So for the last few games I've played I've gotten it in my head to only harvest things at 100% Ready To Harvest, even trees. Do I gain something by OCDing about this, or am I just a fool?

Also, somebody a while ago mentioned looking for a Star Wars mod. Anybody use this collection any?

edit: lol, I see you there in the comments Sirus
Love, scriver~

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: November 04, 2018, 11:05:36 am »

So for the last few games I've played I've gotten it in my head to only harvest things at 100% Ready To Harvest, even trees. Do I gain something by OCDing about this, or am I just a fool?

Also, somebody a while ago mentioned looking for a Star Wars mod. Anybody use this collection any?

edit: lol, I see you there in the comments Sirus
Yeah, that's the one I had in mind :P

I haven't actually fired it up yet but I certainly intend to give it a go soon.
There's also a collection of animals from the SW universe not listed on that Steam page. Here ya go.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: November 04, 2018, 12:57:55 pm »

Thanks! I'm starting up a game with them now. Gonna make my own space cantina.

Hope my fifty million other mods don't collide with it too much.
Love, scriver~

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: November 04, 2018, 11:26:54 pm »

I think if you harvest at 100% you get better yield.  Not sure what the actual graph comes out to though, I've noticed abyssmal harvests at 70 and 80% right before cold snaps, but I can't say for sure if that's because of early harvest or because when that happens I order even the most incompetent boob to harvest the stuff immediately.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: November 05, 2018, 01:28:17 pm »

In my experience harvesting early can be plenty efficient, my psychoid plants seem to give 7 leaves at 85% and 8 at 100%.  The main issue is that its less labor efficient.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: November 05, 2018, 04:31:47 pm »

Am curious about the cantina. Would be keen for a mod which let me entertain caravans (and sell them drugs)
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: November 05, 2018, 04:59:01 pm »

Harvesting early gives you pretty much what it says, 70% grown gives you roughly 70% of the full amount. Plus/minus.

Crops have low yields, so the difference is not so big. At 90%, instead of 11 potatoes you'll get 10. Trees have a slightly higher yield, so you lose more, but usually you didn't plant that tree so meh. It's mostly the work to plant/harvest that's important here, chopping fully grown trees is a more efficient use of your colonist's time.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 280