Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 856569 times)

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #3015 on: July 29, 2018, 04:42:34 am »

steam reviews are very positive, the game is spawning many imimtators, the dev continues development 5 years after launch, and well I spent 30 bucks 5 years ago and its more than paid for itself 10 times over

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3016 on: July 29, 2018, 06:27:33 am »

What's the point of spending more than $20 on a game when there's an inexhaustible number of games that I could play for free?

I appreciate being economical about game purchases, my method is to ignore the game's rating and look at the hours played in the reviews. The Rimworld reviews are filled with people who have logged hundreds, thousands of hours playing this game. If you buy three ten dollar games instead of Rimworld and play thirty combined hours you've been ripped off.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3017 on: July 29, 2018, 11:56:24 am »

God, I hate using "hours played" as a metric of how good a game is.

It's about the experience. A game can be bad yet have effective thousands of hours of content, and a game can be really good at only a few hours. If you're judging a game purely based on average hours played then you're not going to get the best games.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3018 on: July 29, 2018, 12:15:43 pm »

It's about the experience. A game can be bad yet have effective thousands of hours of content, and a game can be really good at only a few hours. If you're judging a game purely based on average hours played then you're not going to get the best games.
I think you missed the point. We are not talking about "hours of content", we are talking about actual hours played. If a game if bad,   it doesn't matter how many hours of content it has because you will only play it enough to discover it's bad. Like 0.5 hours.

The "hours played" metric already contains the experience, because the only way a game can accrue played hours is if, day after day, you keep having a positive experience playing it.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #3019 on: July 29, 2018, 12:21:05 pm »

But you wouldn't put 1000 hours into a bad game with 1000 hours of content, unless you have some weird form of masochism which causes you to get aroused from playing bad games. You'd simply drop it somewhere between 1-4 hours, make a refund, then play an actually good game with 1000 hours of content.

Other than that, I do agree with you: I played Skyrim for 102 hours, then uninstalled and forgot about it until 2017, when I decided to give Skyrim a second chance with some mods, and it still was boring. And to be fair to Skyrim, it was a pleasant experience until I reached 80+ hours in, when I got tired of killing bullet sponges in shallow, every-weapon-feels-like-a-training-sword combat.

Looks I've been ninja'd.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Lainers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3020 on: August 03, 2018, 12:37:41 pm »

I guess it can be a bit of both. There is a lot of good reviews with thousands of hour on record. I started playing yesterday and failed miserably with my first colony. From what I could see, it fits the bill.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3021 on: August 03, 2018, 12:45:56 pm »

There is also one thing to keep in mind: you can play a game for thousands of hours, and then the developer goes and makes some bad changes to it, or, if it is a multiplayer game, it can just die out.

Example: I got a long, long time in TF2 and had loads of fun with it, but no way I can recommend it now.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Lainers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3022 on: August 03, 2018, 02:27:56 pm »

There is also one thing to keep in mind: you can play a game for thousands of hours, and then the developer goes and makes some bad changes to it, or, if it is a multiplayer game, it can just die out.

Example: I got a long, long time in TF2 and had loads of fun with it, but no way I can recommend it now.

This is the problem with Early Access/eternal development games. They can change due to user feedback or just beacause the dev thinks it is cool. You may find yourself playing an earlier, incomplete branch, just because someone ruined the original experience. 

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3023 on: August 03, 2018, 04:11:47 pm »

same sad story with from the depths

at least rimworld is easy to back up and play off steam

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3024 on: August 03, 2018, 05:42:34 pm »

Although Rimworld's 1.0 update is round the corner. So I think there will be an endpoint for the game.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3025 on: August 03, 2018, 05:46:10 pm »

Probably not, really. Developers don't really stop developing games on 'release', especially since a lot of games call themselves released without actually being finished.
Nothing important here, move along.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3026 on: August 03, 2018, 11:28:28 pm »

Probably not, really. Developers don't really stop developing games on 'release', especially since a lot of games call themselves released without actually being finished.
Depends on the developer, depends on the game.  Some developers do stop developing games on release, or for that matter, push it to release to stop development.  Come to think, some even stop developing the game before release.  What I've found on the forums here seems to suggest matters are presently indeterminate.  We might end up with a continuation of development as it's gone thus far, it may be reduced to minor bug-fixing and tweaking with no new major features, or it may be set aside entirely in favor of developing something new. 

Well, that aside, there will inevitably be an end-point for the game where it's no longer developed.  It may not be 1.0, but there will be an end-point at *some* point.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3027 on: August 04, 2018, 12:20:53 am »

Depends on the developer, depends on the game.  Some developers do stop developing games on release, or for that matter, push it to release to stop development.  Come to think, some even stop developing the game before release.  What I've found on the forums here seems to suggest matters are presently indeterminate.  We might end up with a continuation of development as it's gone thus far, it may be reduced to minor bug-fixing and tweaking with no new major features, or it may be set aside entirely in favor of developing something new. 

Well, that aside, there will inevitably be an end-point for the game where it's no longer developed.  It may not be 1.0, but there will be an end-point at *some* point.

Seeing as the 1.0 beta has been in constant heavy flux, I think the devs still hasn't settled on a lot of things and it's fair to say it's likely there will still be changes after release as the current way things are constantly changing does not seem to reflect a dev with a clear idea of what he wants 1.0 to be.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 12:49:24 am by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #3028 on: August 14, 2018, 05:39:06 am »

I hate steam I hate their workshop and I hate not being able to pin down versions of games/mods

Spoiler: my poor install (click to show/hide)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3029 on: August 14, 2018, 07:35:06 am »

Are there any particular mods that I should have installed?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 280