Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 856587 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #3000 on: July 01, 2018, 09:03:13 am »

I think I hit the site jackpot, weather-wise. Summers don't get so hot that my freezer stops working, and winters, while they are indeed cold, can usually be kept at bay with nothing but torches in the smaller rooms.

I just wish I knew what the Storyteller was up to. The previous year was marked by numerous raids and manhunting animal swarms, combined with a cold snap near the mid-point of autumn that killed all of my crops early. The colony ran out of medicine due to all the attacks, I lost most of my pets, and food became so scarce near the end of winter that a single bad day's hunting could have started a tantrum spiral.

This year has been completely raid-free. There have been multiple animal migrations. My populace is booming. I have nearly 100 prepared meals with nearly a thousand raw meat alone in frozen storage. Beer production has started. Last night not one but two escape pods crash-landed in the same game-day. I have meds to treat a number of wounds. Just last caravan, I actually turned a small profit. Aside from a flash storm starting a fire well away from my base (which was put out by a rainstorm a day or two later), life is pretty idyllic.

So what's going to go horribly wrong?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #3001 on: July 01, 2018, 09:32:49 am »

Drop pods and an artillery siege, in reverse order, landing in your base after you've sallied out to kill the siege.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: July 01, 2018, 09:36:33 am »

Had a fairly decent (for me) colony going. I'd landed in a more or less comfortable zone and dug into a mountain for maximum defense. I had 5 colonists that were getting along well although winter was taking a toll on the food supplies. Colonist rescue mission came up and I sent two off to attempt to grab a 6th. Ambush by a scyther, which WAS beaten, eventually, left them all bleeding and a mental break by my final conscious pawn of the group before the wounds could be bandaged sealed the deal.

Back at the homestead two of my lover pawns decided to get married. Phoebe decided that happiness should be offset by a toxic fallout. Instantly rotted any animal I tried to hunt. No crops yet due to a still chilly early spring. I managed to send parties out to scavenge the last of the berries still on the map, but it was no use. They all died to hunger with no end in sight to the fallout. I was desperately trying to get a hydroponics area setup in the mountain and growing food, but I simply didn't have the power generation required to power a sun lamp consistently.

Current colony landed in the desert. Pawn choices were poor, but I got a combo I couldn't turn down of a full... mostly related family. (Father, daughter and stepmother.) Skills are somewhat lacking in some departments though and I feel like it'll end poorly soon. Probably once the heat waves start hitting. Made serious consideration to head away from the desert first. I MIGHT be able to make it, but food supplies are short for such a journey.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: July 01, 2018, 11:17:55 am »

Ahh, sounds like some good ol'-fashioned fun! :))
On the rare occasions colonists fall for one another in my games it is invariably a sign of terrible thing to come. I'm not sure why relationships are so uncommon in my colonies, but that's another story.

One tip, though: as cool as hydroponics seem, it's generally a lot more efficient and reliable to just wall in a large patch of soil (with as much fertile soil as possible, naturally), heat the resulting room and dot it with sun lamps.
That way if your power goes down for a minute all your crops don't immediately die. Plus it takes a lot less in the way of resources to build and maintain.   

Also, personally I use a mod to rebalance sun lamps. I guess that's a bit cheaty, though? To me the power requirement for vanilla just seemed a bit ridiculous. If you need multiple big boy generators just to light a decent-sized indoor farm that's a bit much.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 11:20:37 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: July 01, 2018, 11:54:11 am »

Tip on medicine:  When you're getting low, change the settings to not use medicine- most wounds can be treated fine without it.  Only change the setting to use medicine on pawns you really need, and only if it's something serious, like infection, plague, etc.  And only use the lowest one needed - like herbal medicine is usually plenty for infection, unless you see you're losing the race then you might want to up it.

Especially early on I hate to waste medicine on bruises and minor cuts.  Then invariably when I'm low I'm hit by a wave of nasty stuff...

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3005 on: July 28, 2018, 03:23:35 pm »

https://www.stardock.com/colonize-the-universe

I'm a little bit salty tynan said:

There won't be a sale in the forseeable future (and almost certainly not before final non-EA release and likely some time thereafter).

Of course in the very long term sales are likely, but that could be many years from now.

That was nov. 2016, less than two years ago and now it's in a bundle while still in early access.

I guess technically it's not a sale so he's not lying, but if I'd known they would skip sales completely and go straight to bundling it there's 0% chance I'd have payed full price.

Maybe I'm just overreacting but it feels like a really scummy thing to have done :/
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3006 on: July 28, 2018, 05:47:49 pm »

You're complaining about a 30 dollar game being included in a 40 dollar bundle? You're still paying more for the bundle than for buying the game retail.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: July 28, 2018, 06:59:37 pm »

So if it was jammed in a bundle of 31 games for $31, it would be OK too because you're paying more than the normal price?

The fact is, it's effectively a 66% discount on a game in early access which the developer said (multiple times) was not going to get any sale for a long, long time after it left EA.

So yes, I am complaining about that.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3008 on: July 28, 2018, 07:06:21 pm »

I'm slightly peeved myself; I picked up Rimworld during the Summer sale just last month, full price.

On the other hand it's been a lot of fun so far and I haven't even started getting into modding, so...
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: July 28, 2018, 08:36:40 pm »

‘t ain’t effectively on sale at all. The bundle costs more than the game costs; plenty times I’ve bought a bundle for one game, but usually because it’s way less than that individual game would normally cost.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3010 on: July 28, 2018, 09:29:05 pm »

A cursory glance suggests that the other bundled games are all trash. You're basically paying just for Rimworld.

Honestly, it boggles my mind how people will complain about paying a mere thirty bucks or so for a game such as Rimworld, a game you're likely to get at least a coupla hundred hours of entertainment from. Why do people feel so averse to paying full price for a game they actually want? Besides, any piece of AAA shovelware will typically run you upwards of a hundred, and unless it's primarily multiplayer you'll probably rack up a fraction of the playtime before tiring of it.

Sure, I tend to collect a tonne of bargain-bin purchases whenever there's a decent Steam sale on, but those are generally games I may-or-may-not even bother to start up and try anyway. Rimworld is right up my (and probably most of our) alley(s), and for what it is, it is reasonably priced.
Not like that Rise To Ruins drek. Shit, I should probably get that refunded...   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3011 on: July 28, 2018, 09:53:52 pm »

So if it was jammed in a bundle of 31 games for $31, it would be OK too because you're paying more than the normal price?

The fact is, it's effectively a 66% discount on a game in early access which the developer said (multiple times) was not going to get any sale for a long, long time after it left EA.

So yes, I am complaining about that.

If you can't afford to spend 30 dollars on Rimworld, why should you be able to afford spending 40 dollars on Rimworld and 3 other games? Offworld Trading Company's gone on sale for less than 10 bucks, and I've seen GalCivIII and Planetbase in other bundles, so its not like those are worth more than $20 together.

A cursory glance suggests that the other bundled games are all trash. You're basically paying just for Rimworld.
Offworld Trading Company is decent. I like that it's an RTS where the goal isn't to kill things.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3012 on: July 28, 2018, 10:59:18 pm »

Honestly, it boggles my mind how people will complain about paying a mere thirty bucks or so for a game such as Rimworld, a game you're likely to get at least a coupla hundred hours of entertainment from. Why do people feel so averse to paying full price for a game they actually want? Besides, any piece of AAA shovelware will typically run you upwards of a hundred, and unless it's primarily multiplayer you'll probably rack up a fraction of the playtime before tiring of it.

Sure, I tend to collect a tonne of bargain-bin purchases whenever there's a decent Steam sale on, but those are generally games I may-or-may-not even bother to start up and try anyway. Rimworld is right up my (and probably most of our) alley(s), and for what it is, it is reasonably priced.
Not like that Rise To Ruins drek. Shit, I should probably get that refunded...   

Galciv3 is ok, it's not amazing but it's hardly "trash". Offworld trading company is.... well, I didn't like it, but I have several friends that did so it's not fair to call it trash either. Planetbase I don't know, I never played it and I don't know anyone who has.

That said, I think you're really missing my point because I actually agree with you! I don't like the current environment of megasales and bundles with games that cost pennies! (though I'm a hypocrite and take advantage of it) I think it's bad for both developers and consumers in the long run and fear if left unchecked will eventually lead PC gaming into the cesspool that mobile gaming is right now.

I wish more developers charged a fair price (which is not $60 plus another $60+ for DLC and then lootboxes on top of that) for games then refused to put them on sale. Factorio and rimworld were both absolutely worth the price, and I was happy about the no sale policy because I could just buy them now and not worry about it. I wish more games were like that!

My problem is that a no-sale policy requires, you know, not having sales. It's a two-way street - we buy the games for full, fair price, and the developer does not undercut that later (or at least agrees to wait until the game is done and past it's time). Rimworld dev said no sales, gets all those extra copies sold for full price... then goes ahead and bundles the game anyway.

I'm sorry if my other posts were misleading, it's the principal of the thing not the actual dollar cost.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3013 on: July 28, 2018, 11:29:15 pm »

For something to be on sale, it is generally expected to cost less than it otherwise would :P you could argue that the average price of the games is $10, but then again you argue that the average cost of the pages of the book I bought last week was pennies.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3014 on: July 29, 2018, 02:46:54 am »

What's the point of spending more than $20 on a game when there's an inexhaustible number of games that I could play for free?
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 280