Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 856611 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #2940 on: April 04, 2018, 07:20:20 am »

I was clearing out graves to cremate the bodies, and I noticed something from one of the first raiders I buried.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That is stunningly beautiful
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2941 on: April 04, 2018, 01:40:57 pm »

Been doing lots of raiding.

Two big gripes I have right now are that you can't carry enemy pawns off the map during a player initiated raid and how easily bases scatter. My new colony is a group of psychopathic cannibals with bloodlust who ideally would attack a neighboring settlement a few hours away, carry off some prisoners and bodies, and then return to the colony to feast and bedeck themselves in their hides. Since I usually have to fight the whole hornets nest and can't keep anyone I down it's not going so great. I either lose or skin the sheep instead of shearing it.

Sidenote: How fantastic would it be to sneak into a base like a kobold and take stuff?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: April 04, 2018, 07:52:15 pm »

The couple finally got married. No, nobody was sick. In fact everyone had gotten over their muscle parasites already. They celebrated their honeymoon by fighting off a too long-ignored bug infestation in the nearby mountain.

I learned several valuable lessons from that. First, colonists can remove their draft status whenever without warning, because apparently they do not understand the concept of a military draft. Second, it's surprisingly easy to increase the temperature of an entire mountain cave complex to "literal hell". The plan was, I'd create a kill-room with stone walls, wood floors, a stockpile of alpaca wool(I have way too much of this), and a small stack of chemfuel, along with an IED trap to start the party. Originally, I had intended to use a boomrat or boomalope as bait, but couldn't tame one quickly enough. Then I tried a useless chinchilla, but the bugs wouldn't take the bait even after I sent it deeper into the tunnel.

Then I sent Yoonie in with an incendiary launcher to draw aggro. She managed to ignite one of the megaspiders, who in turn ignited one of the hives. Then she ran. Barely got through the kill-room before the bugs got there. Took longer than I expected for the bugs to trigger the IED, but the explosion worked mostly as planned, in that it exploded and the room ignited. The bugs were scorched, and in their fiery panic they tried digging around the kill-room, even exposing an outside tunnel by a corner. It wasn't enough, and the whole cave system started glowing orange and the bugs began suffering heatstroke. Sadly, all the jelly caught fire as well. Other than Yoonie, none of the other colonists needed to fire a shot.

Next time I get an infestation, it shouldn't be hard to repeat the tactic without the swarm attacking. I think it hit over 600°C at one point(for reference, lead melts at little more than half that).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2943 on: April 05, 2018, 02:45:02 am »

Yeah. My favorite way to deal with infestations is to seal the part with some stone walls, place a furnace inside and sterilize the whole cave. I don't need the jelly, I can replace anything that burns and its safer then a battle. Just make sure any connected parts you don't want to cleanse have good cooling installed.

Burnination helps. A lot.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 02:53:08 am by Cyroth »
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: April 05, 2018, 08:28:12 am »

cant one do the same with a standard heat source like electric engines? i know I burned a room to the ground with the heath from one, don't know if mountain leak heath  or not

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: April 05, 2018, 10:45:25 am »

EDIT: ohwait, Now I caught a polar beer in the act of grabbing a few cold ones too.

*is suddenly reminded of the old cocoa-cola ads with polar bears drinking it*, also lol

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: April 05, 2018, 12:35:00 pm »

Fun fact: Forest fires can melt steel walls
Love, scriver~

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: April 05, 2018, 01:36:39 pm »

But can they melt steel beams?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: April 05, 2018, 03:36:35 pm »

Yes, because steel beams are thinner and weaker than solid steel walls
Black lives matter.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: April 05, 2018, 04:14:14 pm »

More importantly, steel walls are flammable. Maybe they're made of steel wool. While fact-checking this, I saw a video about using steel wool and a 9v battery as a firestarter.

Shortly after burning down the bug cave, a new section of tunnel became visible due to digging from another, but dormant, hive. Repeated the process, attempting to simplify it by using a hot-room with a vent. Vents however seem to default to closed(and the interface is very ambiguous about it), and the vent caught fire anyway(must also be made of steel wool). But the bugs burned to death and the jelly didn't. Also got rid of some tattered clothing in the process.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2950 on: April 05, 2018, 08:36:35 pm »

While fact-checking this, I saw a video about using steel wool and a 9v battery as a firestarter.
Can confirm, I did this on a wilderness survival trip years ago.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: April 06, 2018, 01:26:31 am »

pencil and 9v, burned straight trough the school desk

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: April 06, 2018, 04:50:57 am »

First attack from a pirate siege. A single incendiary mortar landed right on their pile of explosive ones. An explosive round hit one of them as they were assaulting, ripping apart her neck - a shame she had good skills, but I had no way to accommodate her, so I sent a melee guy after the battle to finish her off. He took a couple hours doing so. Would have been better just let her bleed out then.

Looted a good pile of steel, some survival meals, and several extra incendiary shells from the abandoned siege camp.

Also, the married couple split after not even 2 days.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: April 07, 2018, 11:48:22 am »

There is a mod which fixes that, 'steel isn't flammable[v18]'

As for the Zzzt thing mentioned earlier, there's also (at least one) a mod for that, 'no random breakdown+no random short circuit'. Zzts will still happen to electronic stuff exposed to rain though.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: April 07, 2018, 11:59:16 am »

also, observed corpse x41
Nah, wildlife corpses don't give any bad thoughts.
Dayum, that's over 10k caribou meat. Am I glad I use a stack size increase mod. Still, that's a lot of stacks of 750.

Which stack increase mod would you guys recommend? Also, what about something for leftover leathers since you can't combine different leathers (like you can for DF).
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 280