Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 856663 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #2850 on: February 17, 2018, 04:32:50 am »

generally speaking, mods that make the weapon deadlier will make every raid more tense.

I personally like a combination of these over combat realism, because combat realism ammo management is just annoying:

deadlier weapon http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=824659667
deadlier mele weapon http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1207484697
suppression mechanic http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1217499198
less lethal injuries http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1219115492

"but why less lethal injuries?" well having critically wounded or crippled people makes it harder, not easier for your colony, and add more stories than just people dying left and right.

I also have more quality of life mod in a collection, but might be too easy if you're looking for a challenge
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=848841459

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: February 17, 2018, 04:46:31 am »

What are some good mods to make this game harder? Vanilla is far too easy even on the max difficulty.

Try Hardcore SK pack? I don't know much about the mod, besides that it's a lot of mods in one package, designed for increasing difficulty.

As for the mods I played, Combat Extended is a total overhaul of the combat system. Bleeding is far more dangerous and pawns pass out quite easily without good armor. It's still for A17 only, but Hardcore SK pack above has it as a part of the pack. It has some additional micro with loadouts and ammo, but you can disable the ammo system if the micro annoys you too much.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: February 17, 2018, 04:59:31 am »

I'll try out both those comboes and check back in, thanks!
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: February 18, 2018, 05:07:29 pm »

HardcoreSK is hardcore, forget your turret in less than a year time, it can take up to 5-6yr in game to get to that point. Be prepared to salvage, do what you can and not what you want for a long time.

And your first game, cassandra classic on easy, you will thank me.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: February 21, 2018, 07:29:56 pm »

This seems REALLY interesting, although from the last few pages, I'd kind of expect the animals to be more alien, given it's an alien world.

edit: From the reviews, sounds extremely Dwarf Fortressy, buying it.... :D
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 11:44:05 pm by smjjames »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: February 22, 2018, 05:44:34 am »

This seems REALLY interesting, although from the last few pages, I'd kind of expect the animals to be more alien, given it's an alien world.

edit: From the reviews, sounds extremely Dwarf Fortressy, buying it.... :D

It's a big lore thing that there are no "aliens". The rimworlds have been terraformed and seeded with plant and animal specimens from earth. The exploding rats, the robots, and the giant insects were all made by humans to serve some purpose.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: February 22, 2018, 08:45:26 am »

The whole cryosleep (called cryptsleep or something ingame) thing for the colonists is a little silly sometimes, I randomly generated an 18 year old who had been in cryosleep for two thousand plus years.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2857 on: February 22, 2018, 08:47:26 am »

The whole cryosleep (called cryptsleep or something ingame) thing for the colonists is a little silly sometimes, I randomly generated an 18 year old who had been in cryosleep for two thousand plus years.
Why is that silly? In this lore a person can stay in a cryosleep casket or whatever for an unlimited amount of time. What if someone was in one and the ship got destroyed, then he was recovered thousands of years later? Or it was buried in a vault for ages.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: February 22, 2018, 09:34:58 am »

There have been funny cases with relationships and cryptosleep aging, when a child somehow becomes born before his parent.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2859 on: February 22, 2018, 09:42:29 am »

There have been funny cases with relationships and cryptosleep aging, when a child somehow becomes born before his parent.
Hm, he should probably add checks in for things like that.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: February 22, 2018, 09:49:05 am »

Why is that silly? In this lore a person can stay in a cryosleep casket or whatever for an unlimited amount of time. What if someone was in one and the ship got destroyed, then he was recovered thousands of years later? Or it was buried in a vault for ages.

I haven't gotten into the lore yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: February 22, 2018, 01:53:05 pm »

Hm, the rimworld cryptosleep primer mentions enhanced/uplifted animals, but there don't seem to be any ingame (I checked the wiki). I suppose those are represented in mods, also, the extreme variance of humans (he went with 'we are the aliens' as in our stellar descendants would be the aliens) doesn't seem to exist ingame. edit: Unless the starter three are always baseline humans or something.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 02:41:36 pm by smjjames »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: February 23, 2018, 07:52:11 am »

Is there a way to remove cryosleep nonsense from character creation? I don't think the trials has it.

Because yeah, I hate it too. Especially the stupid "has been asleep for 4328 years nonsense).
Love, scriver~

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2863 on: February 23, 2018, 07:54:38 am »

Why is it nonsense? It's part of the backstory of the game, just as much as all the other weird shit humans have engineered over the years like boomalopes and megascarabs.

I suppose there might be a mod to remove it. I haven't looked

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: February 23, 2018, 08:01:01 am »

It's nonsense because it ruins it for me. Being part of the backstory doesn't make it not nonsense.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 280