Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 856726 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #2775 on: September 02, 2017, 09:17:33 am »

So the funniest thing happened. I was raided by three pirates, two which I though would make for possible recruits. After shooting down two of the raiders the last one, one of my recruits-to-be, flee as usual. I let him run away because I wanted to concentrate on saving the other recruit as he had been shot twice at point blank my my shotgunner asshole.

Then, the next day, I get one of the "refugee chased by enemies want to join you" events. The refugee is the third raider from above - at first I thought it was just another character spawned with the same name, but he has the same background, same traits, even still social opinion modifiers to the other raiders from hanging out and chatting before they started the raid. Apparently he ran into some tribals on his way back home and decided his best chances of survival was to return to the settlement he just raided the day before - actually the raid was early in the morning so it's still the same day even - hoping we would take him in.

This game is fucking great with emergent stories.
Love, scriver~

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: September 03, 2017, 04:57:04 am »

Meh, killed the scythers and silkworms easily, guess it's time to subscribe to a bunch of mods. This colony's too stable, three raids came by of 10+ and just died on impact/coming in range of the charge rifles. Not to mention having two snipers picking them off as they came in and six turrets waiting to kill.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: September 03, 2017, 07:06:29 am »

Rim of madness with harder difficulty?  ;D
Rest of the sigs
The helicopter is rent apart by the collision, its steel unable to resist its inevitable reunion with the ground, and the meat within is smashed by the crumpling cockpit beyond any practical hope of recovery. What comes up, must come down again. Ore and ape, returned to mother planet's embrace.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #2778 on: September 03, 2017, 06:26:09 pm »

Assuming you're still on Randy, you might want to try your hand at Cassandra on Intense or above.
Randy *can* hit hard, but he doesn't constantly ramp up like Cassandra does, and in longer games, Randy's usually easier even.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: September 03, 2017, 06:40:29 pm »

Oh, I'll give that a try too. Got a prosthetic mod, concrete, omni core drill, dye vats, repairing, doubled pop cap, and some advanced turret stuff. Hoping these add some variety to my colonies, going to be getting more faction stuff later and might try out a weapon pack.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: September 10, 2017, 10:17:42 pm »

Well, jeez. Idiot tribals who were visiting decided to run past the sieging pirates as they fled the map, after one of their number was shot by said attackers.
At least a couple of them were hit by our mortars, one of whom was killed instantly, and this turned the whole lot of them hostile. My relationship with them has gone from something like +20 to -91. Dang. We're currently trying to mop up enough of them to heal and release, but I doubt I'll be in the green with that particular faction for a while.

Come to think of it, I'm hostile to every faction nowadays, even the outlanders.
Not sure what got them so upset, perhaps I forgot to have someone clean the guest dungeon. Whoops.   

Time to build more mortars, I guess. *shrug*   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: September 14, 2017, 06:23:48 am »

Hans-Joachin Saurma. This guy was knocked out during some infighting between the traders, came with a pristine good LMG and some good and normal clothing and armour. I saved him, being the kind neighboring overlord, since for some reason both tribals hate me off the bat on day one. This man here is a pessimistic pyromaniac, incapable of both dumb and skilled labour, and caring... He can shoot, stab, rub animals, and do art, all of which we have others much better at. He does nothing all day. Not even haul. He just sits there looking pretty with a gun. Might load this guy up nude with a pistol and some meals and send him against the raiders, see how that goes.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: September 14, 2017, 06:27:40 am »

Anyone here had a success surviving a tropical rainforest on Rough Randy Random? My colonists died due to malaria and other diseases at a very early stage of the game when I tried to colonize the tropics.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: September 14, 2017, 06:33:15 am »

Anyone here had a success surviving a tropical rainforest on Rough Randy Random? My colonists died due to malaria and other diseases at a very early stage of the game when I tried to colonize the tropics.

Nope, only way I can think of surviving is buying those pills that say nope to that stuff.

Holy crap Saurma, I am sorry for ever doubting you! This guy just gunned down ten pirates, and only got a single pistol shot to the torso. My other soldier was booking it down to the area but showed up well after the slaughter. This guys earned himself some ambrosia and beer. He's also being moved into one of the nice marble rooms over his current wooden one. Doctor, get back in that shoddy house.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 07:48:25 am by StagnantSoul »

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: September 16, 2017, 10:45:57 pm »

tropical colonies are good in a few ways but have their drawbacks, once a colonist survives malaria and gets immunity all is well, guess its a way of survival of the fittest and all that

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: September 17, 2017, 03:16:35 am »

you realize that you can get any infection again despite immunity right? "immunity" only means immunity against that particular event
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: September 17, 2017, 03:23:18 am »

Got the military together, charge rifle and LMG's aimed straight at it's face, this terrible beast, the Megasloth... And then, it rolled over. Did tricks. Became one of us. But, we don't know what to do with it.

Just before I gave the order to shoot, a megasloth joined us... It gives wool, but it's been so long and it's only at 40%... Is megasloth wool worthit? Or should I just butcher this thing? I tried training it and it went through a ton of corn and didn't get a single point into release...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: September 17, 2017, 05:29:21 am »

You mean a megatherium?

They're cute as hell, but from what I've read they eat a lot of food and as such don't really make ideal pets. :(   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: September 17, 2017, 05:42:06 am »

A what.

And yeah I had to separate it from the cow pen, the three cows were fine on their own but added in the sloth and they started running out of grass almost. If this thing would just let me train it I'd bring it on a raid or two, we are lacking bodies right now. It just won't listen!

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: September 18, 2017, 04:48:48 pm »

I'm starting to get a bit bored with all the lame events, Components beaking,  Bzzt, Eclipse, Solar flares, etc. they all happen way too often.
And whats with the caravan requests which are nearly impossible. when am I ever going to have 500 ambrosia sitting around?

At least the combat extended mod made combat a bit more fun.
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 280