Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 856769 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #2325 on: March 07, 2017, 05:11:13 am »

Just had a second outlander merchant caravan show up in a short space of time, this one a "pirate merchant".
One of the merchants turns out to be the brother of one of my starting trio- odd, since my guy (named Yann) is supposedly a vat-grown soldier. Perhaps the other dude was scraped together out of the leftover DNA, like in that Twins movie with Arnie and Danny DeVito?

Anyway, the funny thing is, Yann is a fast-walking, industrious psycopath whilst his brother, Freddie, is a fat, lazy slowpoke. xD
There's Rimworld's emergent storytelling for you. Despite their differences (and the fact that Yann tends to dislike anyone he sees as 'lazy'), this is the highest rating I've ever seen for one of his social relationships. I'll have to give them some time for brotherly catch-ups while they're here.   

P.S: That generator room with the extreme temperatures works fine, by the way. Thanks for the advice.

Edit: Oh yeah, and the other surviving member of my starting trio finally shacked up with this girl we took prisoner from an escape pod some time ago. I was hoping they would... she'd turned him down once, so I was thinking maybe she was into this other colonist with far higher social skills, but nope she went with the more-established guy who is rather obviously favoured by the player Powers that Be. ;)
Now to just try and keep the young couple alive rather than letting their story end with one of the countless possible tragedies out here in the desert.   
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 05:24:48 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: March 07, 2017, 06:08:54 am »

I sacrifice all my prisoners to the Great Old Ones unless I'm particularily short on manpower. I try to do it fast too because I dont want them to wreck my food planning.  If nothing better is avaiable I give them to Dagon in exchange for seawrecks
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 06:37:13 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: March 07, 2017, 06:47:12 am »

WHICH IS FAIR!  If you had a patient in the hospital who was under professional anesthesia, and you put a bong up to his mouth, you probably shouldn't expect a good outcome!
Yeah, they weren't anaesthetised as far as I'm aware, but I hadn't considered quite how close they probably were to death.
R.I.P. Gazelle. We buried her next to her yorkshire terrier that the ex-assassin stabbed to death. :(

...In other news, I've been building bedrooms within the hill I'm digging into, and since this place is HOT AS FUCK I added coolers to keep them from turning into ovens. The coolers heat output goes into the same room where their generator is, and uh... the heat in that tiny room is currently 129 degrees.
Are people going to be seriously injured or killed trying to refuel that generator?
They basically only need to open the door and throw wood inside, but still. It's concerning.   

...HA. Try over one THOUSAND degrees due to improperly vented indoor geothermal generators.

Dear gods why. I need to figure out how to weaponize that...
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: March 07, 2017, 06:49:47 am »

Ohh. What is this psychology mod(s) I keep hearing about?
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: March 07, 2017, 07:17:04 am »

WHICH IS FAIR!  If you had a patient in the hospital who was under professional anesthesia, and you put a bong up to his mouth, you probably shouldn't expect a good outcome!
Yeah, they weren't anaesthetised as far as I'm aware, but I hadn't considered quite how close they probably were to death.
R.I.P. Gazelle. We buried her next to her yorkshire terrier that the ex-assassin stabbed to death. :(

...In other news, I've been building bedrooms within the hill I'm digging into, and since this place is HOT AS FUCK I added coolers to keep them from turning into ovens. The coolers heat output goes into the same room where their generator is, and uh... the heat in that tiny room is currently 129 degrees.
Are people going to be seriously injured or killed trying to refuel that generator?
They basically only need to open the door and throw wood inside, but still. It's concerning.   

...HA. Try over one THOUSAND degrees due to improperly vented indoor geothermal generators.

Dear gods why. I need to figure out how to weaponize that...
Ductwork is broken. You have an even chance of it working vs 2000°C bug vs NaNC bug

I'd advise avoiding ductwork and sticking with vents until it's fixed
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: March 08, 2017, 10:08:17 am »

Even when ductwork was working it didn't seem to work.  I tried piping around hot and cold air, but could barely change the temperature at all.

An interesting mod though is 'quantum coolers' which are like heaters, but cold.  It consumes a lot of power, but simply lowers the temperature.  It's a free-standing item with no output.  Just cold.  It's maybe kinda cheaty, but super fun.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: March 08, 2017, 10:17:12 am »

Yes!! Just had my first good Yelp review non-terrible visitor experience with the Hospitality mod!
Apparently they really enjoyed their stay, left a parting gift of some good medicine, and plan on coming back in a few days. The toxic fallout that started up towards the end of the visit didn't bother them too much, it seems. Certainly not as bad as the last guest we had, who was beaten to death when the assassin went berserk for some reason or other, just as he was making friends with everyone else...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: March 08, 2017, 11:38:41 am »

"Excellent Housekeeping, large selection of goods. Well stocked minifridge.  Room was covered in blood when we arrived, but it was explained that the previous tenant was simply beaten to death with a teacup by housekeeping.  The blood was promptly cleaned.  I don't like to give the hotel too much trouble for when the previous tenant was particularly messy and it takes longer to clean, so only docking 1 star.  4 out of 5 stars. Would highly recommend over the nearby bandit camp."
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 11:44:56 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: March 08, 2017, 01:07:53 pm »

Ohh. What is this psychology mod(s) I keep hearing about?
One mod that doesn't make the "Gay" trait a stupid add-on and implicitly makes it sound stupid in comparison because it takes up a slot. Alongside that, it broadens the spectrum of personality traits so you don't necessarily just have randomized characters with no idea whatsoever on who behaves with whom, and if you model them after your friends, not be surprised that in the span of just a few days they break up and fight and be generally jerks with one another.

The other nice mods are Romance Diversified//Prepare for Romance! (which is like Prepare Carefully but adds a 4th slot for sexualities so there's no dumbness of that one trait taking up a slot and all). That being said, Psychology seems to be the fleshier mod but requires a new game to be able to be run in general, in comparison, as it remakes the character system (so if loaded mid-game, it doesn't apply to any existing characters in your colony). :P

Also planning to download that Hospitality mod thanks to awesome storytelling! :D

All that being said, there's now this one mod on the steam workshop that lets people customize the color of their outfits.
Finally I can paint wedding battle dresses with Rimsenal's Close Combat Armor. :D
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 01:18:05 pm by Tiruin »

BlackSmokeDMax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: March 08, 2017, 01:18:41 pm »

You want to deal with some heat? There is a community challenge save somewhere in the, ah hell, I'll go find it...  https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=30111.0

That challenge starts you with one pawn in an extreme desert with a permanent heat wave. Temps outside during the day hit 100 celsius or higher, at night they might dip into the high 80s. Every move has to be carefully planned in the early game. You need to get your first room built with coolers fast or you'll be dead in a hurry. Think it took me about 5 or 6 tries to get to the point of getting out of that first room to someplace a bit better and with somewhere to grow food inside. Because you aren't growing anything outside with those temps!! :)

I highly recommend the challenge if you can deal with some bullshit. As some of those first tries were fails only because of a fail during building an AC unit. I started with two in my first room - on the second try! Found that out the hard way, lol. You have to watch closely to your pawn overheating, push it just a bit too much and dead!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: March 08, 2017, 01:28:22 pm »

You want to deal with some heat? There is a community challenge save somewhere in the, ah hell, I'll go find it...  https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=30111.0

That challenge starts you with one pawn in an extreme desert with a permanent heat wave. Temps outside during the day hit 100 celsius or higher, at night they might dip into the high 80s. Every move has to be carefully planned in the early game. You need to get your first room built with coolers fast or you'll be dead in a hurry. Think it took me about 5 or 6 tries to get to the point of getting out of that first room to someplace a bit better and with somewhere to grow food inside. Because you aren't growing anything outside with those temps!! :)

I highly recommend the challenge if you can deal with some bullshit. As some of those first tries were fails only because of a fail during building an AC unit. I started with two in my first room - on the second try! Found that out the hard way, lol. You have to watch closely to your pawn overheating, push it just a bit too much and dead!
Oh goodness, I've tried for fun and for different environments (as I usually do Boreal Forests at -4C ++ until 40 or so), and deserts with 50-60 really do require heavy insulation (2+ tile wide walls) as I couldn't even cool down my rooms, or at least the trade beacon room with coolers as it never went below 0C (passing 10~C or so).
And trying something like that was pretty fun, although not in these specifics and not alone either.

Unrelated note: Always build from stone walls if firefoam or otherwise do not exist yet and you are aware of dangers causing fire popping up (eg Mechanoids! {in the vanilla game})>_> Even plasteel walls with their 10% still burn down, albeit slowly. A raging fire however will be difficult to stop. Environmental temperature do not seem to affect fires at all even if it's "outside" and in the negatives if it's roofed to the elements.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: March 08, 2017, 03:25:19 pm »

One thing the game does not make super obvious is that if a room is built out of a mountain it will naturally try to climatize towards 18-21 Celsius.  Does not make a huge difference normally but in those extremes it can be a life saver.
Nom nom nom

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: March 08, 2017, 08:21:44 pm »

One thing the game does not make super obvious is that if a room is built out of a mountain it will naturally try to climatize towards 18-21 Celsius.  Does not make a huge difference normally but in those extremes it can be a life saver.
I'll be posting a good tip for mountain building--OTHER THAN the unmentioned note that you get Insect Infestations if you build your living area under Overhead Mountain as the 'roof tile' (pros and cons; impervious to mortars/shelling, climate 'stability', can't drop-pod in either by trade ships or your own, and can't remove so it acts like a permanent roof that you've to support), there's also the note of it being a permanent roof in that if you have a fire in there that starts inside that spreads without anything good to stop 'mass fire', and you've well insulated the place, you're doomed unless you use less flammable material internally.

I had a colony wherein I just wondered how it'd go if I left my folks away for a bit--that's how I discovered the 'non-smart AI' as a simple fire that occurred by 'raid drop pod' (which sparked a fire as I had a tiny valley stretching into the heart of the mountain which had them drop right there in the heart of my base) turned into a blazing inferno, with temperatures reaching 200+C in a Boreal Forest of ~-40C because I played with the Rimsenal Federation mod that had 'explosive scouts that are useless and don't even melee well'. (On the scout note, those 'creatures' just melee for 1 second, and take a minute to reset. They just freeze and do nothing)
Anyway the lack of firefoam (because it was 'ugly') and my plasteel internal walls due to my richness had me intrigued and wonder if I turned up the notch--Devmoded in Infestations; apparently this also unveils another layer of 'non-smart AI' (basically meaning "more basic AI" just like how DF was very, extremely early on): Pawns/Characters can't rescue at will. Or they can but despite the high priority there's a lot that can skew it >_> They don't auto-attack Hives once an area is cleared of insects, and in a regular mid/end-game, normal unarmed people will usually not even die because insect attacks/scratch or bites usually result in more pain over damage (even with the "soldier" Megaspiders which lovely aren't stupid spiders in lore, description, or imagery, so I can FINALLY PLAY A GAME THAT DOESN'T HAVE DAMNED SPIDERS UNLIKE TERRARIA). Playtesting it out, 1 our of 12 of my colonists were killed...because of friendly fire in using the Rimsenal Jotun Interstellar corps. AMR gun. One shot my colonist through the chest--40 hp of that part versus the 55 damage armor piercing shots. <_<
And the insects just 'randomly mine'. So compared to the overall integrity of even a plasteel wall, it goes down extremely easily if you've either "insects that mine" or "wild animals trapped inside". [I had luckily gotten a Megasloth downed and planned to train it to haul given its 97% wildness...or at least be a training puppet for my folks' animal score so I can aim for Thrumbos. This one wild beast 'mined' itself out after no food for quite some time, just knocking down plasteel autodoors like they were nothing compared to insects attacking it?!]
Thrumbos aren't even that good in combat (as I downloaded a mod that makes them trainable, tameable [90% wildness], and has Thrumbo wool), as they have the usual 'slow melee cooldown' that doesn't seem to be influenced by ANYTHING other than the stat condition in making the game scenario, and the item modifier that is the attacking item itself compared to the modifiers armor can give. They can be overwhelmed despite having ~200+ base hp for the appendages and 500+ for the torso...and I had kit'd out my thrumbos in bionics! (Armor stat modifiers can influence ranged combat, but melee combat seems tied to only the weapon having a melee DPS modifier given both its wording and devmode checking :/)

...That wall of haphazard text aside, back on the idea of 'internal fire system', the fire spread as all my colonists were downed and I had drop pod'd the last one for safety and non-game ending reasons. In any range of 10+ that makes travel time being a day or more, it's better to 'settle' and make your own drop pod back, as scenarios like these even with internal plasteel walls/doors, it'll burn down within a day. This was my internal colony size of 300x300+. (Imagine at least the maximum scroll box of selection multiplied by 1.5). It burned down slowly, invoking feelings of watching a piece of hard work crumble into decay and disrepair. Bodies rotted, and at the end when the outer 'temperature seals' (walls) were breached, it still burned down at -20C + temperatures with no difference in speed.

This game needs better stuff than firefoam if you're stuck in a mountain. :P
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 08:23:22 pm by Tiruin »

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: March 09, 2017, 12:15:45 am »

...And this is exactly why I build all walls out of stone, put concrete burn-stops everywhere, and section off my entire base in case of random lightning strikes.

Learned this the hard way, a few updates ago.

Also, fun trick I learned from the one time I put stone walls BEHIND the original wood, rather than in front of: stone inner walls, wood outer walls. Enemy tries to burn you out? Instant fiery moat surrounding your entire base.

Dun goofed, raiders.

Incidentally, wood internal walls are a major friggin' fire hazard. Just don't.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: March 09, 2017, 12:22:48 am »

You can severely damage bugs power if you build your base in certain ways... But... it makes your base look soo ugly!
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 280