Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 855198 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #2310 on: March 06, 2017, 05:07:42 am »

*shrug* they are a good source of chemfuel if nothing else. And the leather fetches very nice prices. Plus I'm not sure but I think the dead body gives the "observed X" debuff  to morale so better get rid of it fast just in case

But yeah, strange meals and kibble should be avoided like the plague. Lost a colony before I figured this one out.

PD:
Addenum: I used to like Cthulhu because of the Orbital Insanity Wave freebies, but I've found that the healthcare package is really really good. If one of your colonists gets a brain condition/brain damage? Run psionic growth and he will recover. Amputation? Run aspect of Cthulhu. Really, Terrestial insanity wave is underwhelming (but mostly because I tend to gun up my doors with Rimsenal turrets so I don't fear tribal zerg rushes) but the three first powers are all really really good
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 07:04:18 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: March 06, 2017, 08:48:38 am »

I thought I'd found a good way to deal with the problematic one of my starting trio (an unpleasant combo of depressive and greedy traits), by simply keeping her permanently baked until such a time as I could improve our living conditions. She turned out to be a huge lightweight, and one smokeleaf joint was enough to green her out and keep her harmlessly bedridden. Did I mention she was a highly skilled melee fighter? Yeah, her punches hurt and berserk was basically her normal state of mind.

Just now, though, after a brief berserk episode which had her bedridden anyway, I had another colonist give her a joint and she... died.
Died of being stoned on smokeleaf. I thought this stuff was based on cannabis? ???   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: March 06, 2017, 08:51:58 am »

Maybe it was a failure of doctoring?

"Instead of having you simply smoke this joint, I'm going to just insert it into your lung so that none of it goes to waste."

"Great idea, doctor!"
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: March 06, 2017, 10:33:52 am »

True, that would make a lot more sense given what game this is. :P
Maybe the doctor... *gasp* ...injected the marijuanas!   

Or maybe the patient simply had some undiagnosed respiratory that caused her to forget to breath.
Hell, she had just taken a beating from an angry ostrich. Maybe it had damaged her airways with its beak and claws.   

Edit: I think I shall take a break from the game whilst deciding which headcanon to go with.
I mean, I could still savescum despite playing on permadeath mode, but if smokeleaf is actually a deadly drug I probably wouldn't be able to keep the rage-happy colonist in question alive for all that long anyway, even if I managed to prevent the ostrich incident. Sad, I put so much work into keeping her alive despite her troublesome tendencies.   
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 10:36:58 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: March 06, 2017, 11:40:58 am »

True, that would make a lot more sense given what game this is. :P
Maybe the doctor... *gasp* ...injected the marijuanas!   

Or maybe the patient simply had some undiagnosed respiratory that caused her to forget to breath.
Hell, she had just taken a beating from an angry ostrich. Maybe it had damaged her airways with its beak and claws.   

Edit: I think I shall take a break from the game whilst deciding which headcanon to go with.
I mean, I could still savescum despite playing on permadeath mode, but if smokeleaf is actually a deadly drug I probably wouldn't be able to keep the rage-happy colonist in question alive for all that long anyway, even if I managed to prevent the ostrich incident. Sad, I put so much work into keeping her alive despite her troublesome tendencies.   
Heavily asthmatic or developed hypersensitiity?
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: March 06, 2017, 12:16:59 pm »

It's possible their consciousness was already so low that "stoned on smokeleaf" put it to zero and killed them.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2316 on: March 06, 2017, 12:25:57 pm »

It's possible their consciousness was already so low that "stoned on smokeleaf" put it to zero and killed them.
Yep, I have seen that happen.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: March 06, 2017, 01:27:51 pm »

Seriously the only thing that would make Cthulhu better would be if you could direct his ability.

To my knowledge you don't get to chose who gets his amazing ability.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: March 06, 2017, 02:47:06 pm »

Part of 'stoned on smokeleaf' is like a -10% consciousness.  If you hit 0% you die.  So if someone is knocked down to 10%, such as being anesthetized, then administering smokeleaf will kill them.

WHICH IS FAIR!  If you had a patient in the hospital who was under professional anesthesia, and you put a bong up to his mouth, you probably shouldn't expect a good outcome!

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #2319 on: March 06, 2017, 04:03:23 pm »

Seriously the only thing that would make Cthulhu better would be if you could direct his ability.

To my knowledge you don't get to chose who gets his amazing ability.
From the tiptext, I gather that while the tentacle is random, the brain augment seems to be directed to the preacher.
As I've preferred to follow other Otherones, I can't vouch either of those to be accurate.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: March 06, 2017, 04:26:42 pm »

I do think the tentacle tends to favor missing appendages though.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: March 06, 2017, 09:51:34 pm »

WHICH IS FAIR!  If you had a patient in the hospital who was under professional anesthesia, and you put a bong up to his mouth, you probably shouldn't expect a good outcome!
Yeah, they weren't anaesthetised as far as I'm aware, but I hadn't considered quite how close they probably were to death.
R.I.P. Gazelle. We buried her next to her yorkshire terrier that the ex-assassin stabbed to death. :(

...In other news, I've been building bedrooms within the hill I'm digging into, and since this place is HOT AS FUCK I added coolers to keep them from turning into ovens. The coolers heat output goes into the same room where their generator is, and uh... the heat in that tiny room is currently 129 degrees.
Are people going to be seriously injured or killed trying to refuel that generator?
They basically only need to open the door and throw wood inside, but still. It's concerning.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #2322 on: March 06, 2017, 09:55:49 pm »

Is that Celsius or Farenheight? At extreme temperatures they'll get burnt as if they've been standing in a campfire, but they would definitely get heat stroke if they stay there for any length of time, not to mention that the coolers are extremely inefficient as they are, I would recommend having the series of vent shafts that leads to outside if your going for that type of thing.
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: March 06, 2017, 09:59:30 pm »

They don't get burned as fast as you might expect (eg: that temp will probably not burn them if exposure is short. Though 200 or so will), but they will definitely get heat stroke.

High temps don't work too well. Ductwork is buggy as hell and in the previous build it caused rooms to spontaneously acquire temperatures of 2000 degrees. Which DID burn pawns, but once again, far more slowly than you or I would were we to be exposed suddenly to a blast furnace.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: March 06, 2017, 10:16:49 pm »

Part of 'stoned on smokeleaf' is like a -10% consciousness.  If you hit 0% you die.  So if someone is knocked down to 10%, such as being anesthetized, then administering smokeleaf will kill them.

True enough, I also thought pouring alcohol would work as a partially effective solution--apparently it doesn't work that way when you administer beer because it treats it just the same as otherwise anyway. :I

As two bottles of beer can kill just as much as that, because somebody is tipsy. :P

a) Any changes made by properly installed mods will be (with regards to a new game) immediately reverted upon disabling the mods. Use a new game to check for mod incompatibilities for possible but easily spotted conflicts.

b) In general, furniture and item mods are relatively independent of other mods. For Call of Cthulhu, that mod is practically a requirement to combat the effects of the vast number of sources of insanity. If you're alright with the other things that come with the Call of Cthulhu mods, then I'm sure the Industrial items pack will be fine as well.
Thaaaanks so much for the information there, also to CP!

I'm just real grumpy that I can't work both the Psychology mod and the Romance Diversified/Prepare for Romance! mods, because I **want to customize** my 12 people, because I only stick with twelve people as I want to play on hardcore mode with folks I can work with. x_x Psychology doesn't allow this kind of freedom while the latter does. (And the former conflicts with the latter anyway, but has added thoughts and dreams and stuff!)
The latter is basically my recommended set because of its usefulness but argh not having both. :I
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 280