Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854947 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #2205 on: January 10, 2017, 01:27:37 pm »

HMMMMM so for some reason my comms console is not working. Is there any easy way to debug which mod is causing this?

PD:

Tweaking with this: this is the closest thing I have to an error involving the comms console
Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at RimWorld.Building_CommsConsole.GetFloatMenuOptions (Verse.Pawn myPawn) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at RimWorld.FloatMenuMakerMap.AddHumanlikeOrders (Vector3 clickPos, Verse.Pawn pawn, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 opts) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at RimWorld.FloatMenuMakerMap.ChoicesAtFor (Vector3 clickPos, Verse.Pawn pawn) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at RimWorld.FloatMenuMakerMap.TryMakeFloatMenu (Verse.Pawn pawn) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at RimWorld.Selector.HandleMapClicks () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at RimWorld.Selector.SelectorOnGUI () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at RimWorld.MapInterface.HandleLowPriorityInput () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at RimWorld.UIRoot_Play.UIRootOnGUI () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.Root.OnGUI () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

PD: mistery solved... it's the stupid space nazis and soviets mod
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 01:57:20 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: January 11, 2017, 08:30:50 am »

Playing as nomads with tribals is actually pretty hard. For the same nutrition, pemmican is worth almost double what fine meals are and you need to make a ton of of it for when you travel. Since the severity of events the storyteller throws at you is based on your colony wealth this is pretty bad. It doesn't help that tribals start with a jade knife which is worth more than the entirety of the rest of your stuff(really ditch that thing asap) and you have 2 more guys with 3-4k of value each for the storyteller.

Before I had even left my starting settlement where I was trying to build up a pemmican stockpile and get everyone into a full set of normal clothes I ended up fighting pirate raids with superior heavy weaponry and ended up fighting !2! sieges. Miraculously, thanks to how strong melee is, I only lost one guy(to a peg leg installation of all things) and then decided to nope right out of there to find out my pemmican stockpile would only let me travel for... 3 days. I got as far as I could(3-4 hexes away)and before I could build anything, all my prisoners ran away -_-. I've since quickly thrown a longhouse together to serve as an impressive barracks/dining/rec/infirmary room and am trying to build up a pemmican stockpile again.

Something I learned is that making only pemmican makes it REALLY hard to build up a reserve because of how work-inefficient it is. I've since switched to having 2 simple meals for each colonist in the stockpile at all time so I can build up the pemmican without it going back down.

edit: typos
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 10:40:50 am by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: January 11, 2017, 08:43:27 am »

Playing as nomads with tribals is actually pretty hard. for the same nutrition, pemmican i worth almost double what fine meals are and you need to make a ton of of it for when you travel. Since the severity of events the storyteller throws at you is based on your colony wealth this is pretty bad. It doesn't help that tribals start with a jade knife which is worth more than the entirety of the rest of your stuff(really ditch that thing asap) and you have 2 more guys with 3-4k of value each for the storyteller.

Before I had even left my starting settlement where I was trying to build up a pemmican stockpile and get everyone into a full set of normal clothes I ended up fighting pirate raids with superior heavy weaponry and ended up fighting !2! sieges. Miraculously, thanks to how strong melee is, I only lost one guy(to a peg leg installation of all things) and then decided to nope right out of there to find out my pemmican stockpile would only let me travel for... 3 days. I got as far as I could(3-4 hexes away)and before I could build anything, all my prisoners ran away -_-. I've since quickly thrown a longhouse together to serve as an impressive barracks/dining/rec/infirmary room and am trying to build up a pemmican stockpile again.

Something I learned is that making only pemmican makes it REALLY hard to build up a reserve because of how work-inefficient it is. I've since switched to having 2 simple meals for each colonist in the stockpile at all time so I can build up the pemmican without it going back down.

Yeah, I don't start with the jade knife for that reason. I give everyone like... three wooden spears and a short bow. Remove the pilum, jade knife, etc.

Then again, I play with the Lovecraft mods, so it doesn't take long for us to degenerate into cultists with tentacles coming out of our eyes sacrificing people, taking their weapons, and bringing about the end of all things.

Rimworld is a great game.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: January 11, 2017, 12:03:06 pm »

So far I'm finding that melee is quite viable as long as you use a bit of strategy. Enemies with guns get wrecked by anything with a melee weapon once you get in range. I made a siege that had enemies with LMG's and 2 snipers retreat using nothing but 5 guys with wooden clubs by using cover to approach and distracting the more dangerous things while someone sneaks up behind them. Two of the tribesmen lost a leg to sniper fire, but the result was pretty impressive given "normal" and "good" wooden clubs vs "good" to "superior" firearms. Now if only I could get my hands on shields this would be hilarious.

At the moment I have only one shield and it's being used by my tamer so he's the first to charge into battle with a steel mace followed by a dozen bloodthirsty boars.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2209 on: January 11, 2017, 12:04:47 pm »

I really wish pawns could carry a backup weapon to engage in melee, or pistol-whip/rifle-butt people in melee to stun and/or push them back. When you have a rifle and someone rushes you, you don't continue trying to shoot them. You grapple them or use the rifle as a club or something.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: January 11, 2017, 12:24:17 pm »

I really wish pawns could carry a backup weapon to engage in melee, or pistol-whip/rifle-butt people in melee to stun and/or push them back. When you have a rifle and someone rushes you, you don't continue trying to shoot them. You grapple them or use the rifle as a club or something.
I've found machine pistols to be extremely brutal when used as pseudo-melee weapons. Once engaged in melee, just order your pawn to fire at the target so he stops punching and watch that enemy turn into swiss cheese thanks to the machine pistol's super low warmup and cooldown. Seriously, you can fire more often than a shiv can stab with those things. The only melee weapons able to out-dps it are claws and scyther blades. If you have a designated combat location, I suggest you leave a couple machine pistols lying around there so you can switch to them once the fight gets to close range.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 12:29:33 pm by Ygdrad »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: January 11, 2017, 12:32:18 pm »

You can still fire in melee range, and the 'if I'm hit I have to stop firing and try again' has been removed/nerfed, so you can reliably shoot people who are punching you.  Machine pistols are in fact OP for close quarters.  Combat Realism also lets you carry extra weapons, but that's a big mod so whatever.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2212 on: January 11, 2017, 12:40:04 pm »

Right, I know you CAN do it but it's a bit strange. Rifles are unwieldy to shoot at soeone in CQC. Pistols are less so but when someone is punching and stabbing you is generally not the time to try and take aim. Although an argument could be made for simply reducing the 'aim time' when someone is 3 feet away. It isn't THAT difficult to hit someone so close.

I'll have to look into Combat Realism.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: January 11, 2017, 12:43:33 pm »

I just had a look at the history screen and I can confirm that if you form a caravan and abandon your colony your wealth drops to zero until you settle a new location. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=840100227

Hopefully this means that the storyteller wont hit moving nomads too hard. Something tells me there are other factors taken into account though.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: January 11, 2017, 12:43:58 pm »

To admit Pemmican feels like it was MADE for this recent update (and I wouldn't be surprised if it was)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: January 11, 2017, 01:06:14 pm »

So far I'm finding that melee is quite viable as long as you use a bit of strategy.
Umph, melee and combat that way is a bit...unrefined at the moment :/ At most, one can fire two bursts out of a rifle before they're upon you, charging straight (had lots of fun losing out to tribal rushes early game with research focus :P).

With my light-testing on ranged weaponry vs melee said, I found a nice balance would be editing the starting scenario with +50% to firing speed and aim time, to compensate (as it really seemed...weird, that my riflewoman got clubbed and didn't even score a hit out of...three or so shots at range :V), and found that it works out really well. It still gives the edge of numbers and cover that melee has, but also seems to balance out ranged lethality.
...That also goes for those great bows and pilas :P So much fun having my embrasures WRACKED with arrows.

To admit Pemmican feels like it was MADE for this recent update (and I wouldn't be surprised if it was)
Can anyone tell me if Hay by itself is best (ie For muffalo breeding or sustenance purposes given my earlier post of ♥ Boreal Forests) or is there any better way to satisfy their needs?

As an aside, I found trying to download the Synthmeat mod being ok, but that's more for convenience given the swarms of mad critters, mostly boomalopes. ._. Really scary when you try to save their booming bodies from being burned out.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: January 11, 2017, 02:15:34 pm »

Well this was unpleasant... My caravan ran into a large pack of manhunter boomrats. All but one of my tribesmen use melee weapons and you're not allowed to leave the event area until you've taken out all enemies. Minor burns on everyone and lost 3 boars. It conveniently started raining after the fight was over.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: January 11, 2017, 02:17:35 pm »

Hay is a great food item overall for a few reasons

1) Hay grows relatively fast and in large bunches
and
2) You can pen animals in fields of hay...

The only issue is it kind of grows TOO fast :P, you will be swimming in it.

That and there is a VERY limited way to feed animals hay.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 02:37:47 pm by Neonivek »

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: January 11, 2017, 02:49:07 pm »

Hmm, caravans may be a way to stabilize mood for people who need time to deal with personal issues without other factors making things worse. My pawns are all stable at around half with "very low expectations" giving them a bonus that makes up for any small annoyances like the death of a  friend or bonded animal. All other factors seem to be ignored. No comfort, beauty, space or anything else affecting them.

I guess if a pawn could be problematic, just pack him some food and send him out on a nice long walk to cool down.

Edit: You can pack them some fine or lavish meals to help even more, seems it gives them a bonus. I should check if packing comfy beds makes them happier at night time.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 03:25:10 pm by Ygdrad »

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: January 11, 2017, 03:27:20 pm »

You can use hay to make kibble together with some meat, so that is an added bonus for it.

Is there any use in the game for skeletons? I don't think there is? It would be cool to be able to use bones for crafting in the style of DF. Who doesn't want a throne of skulls to eat cereal in?
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 280