Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854883 times)

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #2130 on: December 26, 2016, 06:20:47 pm »

could be right about shooting bug, having 4-5 with shooting between 10-13 is always fairly accurate

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: December 26, 2016, 07:07:23 pm »

You don't have to recruit colonists you arrested, if you go into the prisoner tab and order them released they'll return to duty.

I did not know that, and did not want to risk the case being they'd up and leave permanently. Plus, it did build up social relations between Stench and Tanya and the nudist guy.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: December 26, 2016, 09:11:54 pm »

Built up a new colony with the sole plan of making it a trading post.   Producing tons of goods that I have no plans to use (drugs of all kinds, prometium, FSX) and then figured I would send out some caravans to sell it to everyone.  I mean I'm just selling addictive drugs that impair judgement and high explosives.  What's wrong with that?

However I came across a problem.  My map has no muffalo, and no camels.   No other animals can carry goods in caravans.  I expected to at least be able to throw a few items on a deer I tamed until I got a better pack animal, but nope.   Combining that with combat realism, and the extra weight that means my guys are carrying around just to be able to fight, it means I can barely carry enough food to make it to the nearest settlement and get back.  Let alone carry anything else.   And what traders do come to visit me have all their camels and muffalo set as pack animals, and won't sell them to me.

I really wish you could use more animals as pack critters, I understand being afraid to stuck a pack full of explosives on one of my boomalope, but surely a trained buck can carry a little bit safely.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 09:14:19 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: December 26, 2016, 09:22:02 pm »

Alpacas should be able to used for that, along with anything that can be trained to haul.

Yaknow, I wonder if vehicles, roads and rivers are going to be added soonish. I mean, it makes sense to me now that theres trading to make it harder/easier/more profitable, and sending out groups to build roads between one settlement and another would be cool to do.

-ninja edit-

Most of the time when they do that I jsut have another dude drafted following behind, but I sell any I capture unless they are in a relation with someone.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: December 26, 2016, 09:38:35 pm »

Built up a new colony with the sole plan of making it a trading post.   Producing tons of goods that I have no plans to use (drugs of all kinds, prometium, FSX) and then figured I would send out some caravans to sell it to everyone.  I mean I'm just selling addictive drugs that impair judgement and high explosives.  What's wrong with that?

However I came across a problem.  My map has no muffalo, and no camels.   No other animals can carry goods in caravans.  I expected to at least be able to throw a few items on a deer I tamed until I got a better pack animal, but nope.   Combining that with combat realism, and the extra weight that means my guys are carrying around just to be able to fight, it means I can barely carry enough food to make it to the nearest settlement and get back.  Let alone carry anything else.   And what traders do come to visit me have all their camels and muffalo set as pack animals, and won't sell them to me.

I really wish you could use more animals as pack critters, I understand being afraid to stuck a pack full of explosives on one of my boomalope, but surely a trained buck can carry a little bit safely.
Actually there's one other animal that can carry goods, it's a species of hairless ape that shows up on most maps eventually. If you can deal with the occasional prison breaks then ex-raiders can haul a decent amount of shit.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: December 27, 2016, 03:15:54 am »

You can use prisoners as haulers on caravans? That's nice.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: December 27, 2016, 05:10:39 am »

id suggest building the trading post up, wait for a trading convoy that has muffalo and buy a few you can then do youre thing with it

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: December 27, 2016, 05:23:40 am »

id suggest building the trading post up, wait for a trading convoy that has muffalo and buy a few you can then do youre thing with it
Y'know all this talk has me reminded of that one mod which sets a trading square for meeting for traders o_O

Perhaps, as a suggestion, a new zone can be added that designates a trading area! ...Since I can't suggest it (maybe cookies, I've to check later if my browser settings didn't go exclude thanks to something I did months ago), hopefully it gets heard :P

If you would just stop being such an obvious bot these things would work. Be more like me, and buy Anti-bot firmware products from Notabott! Have finer day to suckle on milkworm, friendo!
Beep boop! :3

I wonder why traders don't have some kind of wagon or convoy to help bring stuff since most paths between areas are flat--or at least it isn't directly calculated considering mountains or hills, and even then...it's all 2D. :P

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: December 27, 2016, 05:32:26 am »

Even if terrain is "flat" it might not be flat. There are bound to be vegetation, soft ground and other obstacles that wagons and carts will do very poorly in without roads. Some kind of ATVs would be fine, though. There should be an option to build improvised vehicles working with chemfuel or solar cells. Plus robots, we are still sorely lacking in our ability to build robots. Simple bots for cleaning and hauling would be awesome. Getting them hacked by mechanoids to vacuum people to death would be extra awesome.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: December 27, 2016, 06:55:21 am »

The middle ages had offroad carts.
http://www.kenteisenhuth.com/medievalcart/cartdisplays/images/bank_1.jpg
Giant wheels give it clearance to get the chassis over small bushes, and the wheels help it deal with dips and holes because the wheels are just big enough to go over them.  The wheels are usually pretty wide too, dispersing the weight across the whole surface to avoid sinking in soggy soil.  Plus they're made of wood, not too heavy, and usually would be loaded with peasant goods, like hay or wood, not piles of silver coin and guns.

Carts in rimworld would CERTAINLY work, especially since we have full metal and plant access, and could probably build metal and rubber carts.

woosholay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: December 27, 2016, 08:03:23 am »

Good news everyone! SK HC pack is going to update to a16 in a few weeks according to its dev. Personally, I can't play the game without it at this point, clocked in about 100h into it.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2141 on: December 27, 2016, 08:22:19 am »

Good news everyone! SK HC pack is going to update to a16 in a few weeks according to its dev. Personally, I can't play the game without it at this point, clocked in about 100h into it.
Never heard of it. Link?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: December 27, 2016, 12:29:08 pm »

Wow that's a lot of mods in one package.   And hell I didn't know custom races were even possible.  If anything it functions as a good modlist for me :P
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

woosholay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: December 27, 2016, 01:19:11 pm »

It works surprisingly well together (there are more than a few big mod packs that go way overboard with features). Granted, I never ever been to the 'late game' or even 'mid game' really, but what i'v seen left me very unsatisfied with vanilla experience.
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 280