Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854820 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #2055 on: December 13, 2016, 03:44:46 am »

Just loaded up the unstable release and generated an entire globe. Pretty amazing before you even get into the game part of the game.

Then I dev'd up a 10 man colony with charge rifles, packed a nice survivial ration lunch, and formed a caravan to attack a tribal settlement a few hours away.[...]
...This is in the next patch? I can't WAIT TO ATTACK PIRATES now! :D

Is it possible to send in everyone while keeping your base colony under lock and key?

This is pretty awesome. Since you have pretty free access to your normal tools during an attack I'm thinking about hostile outpost mining. Sending in an armed force to build a secure camp and drill for minerals where we aren't welcome.
Can you be sappers just like all those who constantly mine into your base until you get the jump on them? :P

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: December 13, 2016, 04:01:52 am »

...This is in the next patch? I can't WAIT TO ATTACK PIRATES now! :D

Is it possible to send in everyone while keeping your base colony under lock and key?

Can you be sappers just like all those who constantly mine into your base until you get the jump on them? :P
It looks like you can leave the base totally unattended.

It seems like you can mine and build freely. The site I attacked was just a tiny tribal outpost, I don't know if there are any player-style mountain doom fortresses but you can definitely use tunnels for a surprise attack.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: December 13, 2016, 12:34:01 pm »

I see this next patch being the framework for one thing I've always wanted.

Multiple colonies on the same map. AI can build things, as noted by the siege things, and that's always made me want a way to have a group of AI make a settlement. Would be very simple tbh, but just having the AI do something like that would be fun.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: December 13, 2016, 12:46:14 pm »

The pirate outpost I'm raiding is smart enough to keep someone on guard duty at night. I carefully moved supplies and pawns into position and the second he entered a building I had them run out and start assembling IED traps and then slip away into the night before the were the wiser. It's six under equipped raiders versus what can charitably be called a death squad with a solid base so this was completely unnecessary but it just feels so awesome.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: December 13, 2016, 12:49:01 pm »

The pirate outpost I'm raiding is smart enough to keep someone on guard duty at night. I carefully moved supplies and pawns into position and the second he entered a building I had them run out and start assembling IED traps and then slip away into the night before the were the wiser. It's six under equipped raiders versus what can charitably be called a death squad with a solid base so this was completely unnecessary but it just feels so awesome.
Lots of room for radar and whatnot :P
Is there fog of war? How are you testing all these (as in, is there anyway in the properties to opt into these?), and if you assault a place, do the raider AI have the same attacking AI that avoids walls and 'pathing traps'? :3

That last sentence also makes it shine. XD As if it was priming the whole thing for future testing. Eager science! \o/

* Tiruin reads back. Oh there it is.
GUESS WHAAAAT
Yup. Alpha 16 is  now on the public unstable branch. Accessable on steam by Properties -> Betas -> Version dropdown. The developer says that if you want the full & complete experience without massive bugs, you should wait until the actual release.

But that sure isn't going to stop me!
Last page/post; 15 default posts per page. I even quoted it (well at least something related to it) before >_>
Forgetfulness. <_<
Can we report bugs here or...?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 12:51:02 pm by Tiruin »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: December 13, 2016, 01:34:14 pm »

Considering that Dev didn't even intend to announce it here yet, probably not, no.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: December 13, 2016, 01:46:29 pm »

Theres a forum thread for bugs, apparently. Now, anyone know if people who dont force themselves to use the stain on gaming that is steam can test the beta?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: December 13, 2016, 01:52:11 pm »

the stain on gaming that is steam

Thou art cruising for yon bruising.

Also, no, to answer your question. I'm fairly certain it's just a steam opt-in build.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: December 13, 2016, 02:03:25 pm »

the stain on gaming that is origin

fixed that for ya.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: December 13, 2016, 02:06:36 pm »

the stain on gaming that is digital sales platforms

fixed that for ya.

Rectified.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: December 13, 2016, 02:15:24 pm »

Eh, I'd go with Jimbo. You gotta sell things somewhere, and not having to scour the internet for tiny sites is better than needing to.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: December 13, 2016, 02:25:02 pm »

Yeah I wouldn't have bought about half the games I did buy if not for Steam. It's decidedly non-intrusive compared to most things, it has very good offers and from what I understand a lot of developers like it.

Now that it has a fair refunds policy, I pretty much think it's a big step forward.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: December 13, 2016, 05:53:38 pm »

Eh. Steam and origin are really just the same thing to me and have the same quality. Origin just suffers from being secondary to steam.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: December 13, 2016, 06:11:32 pm »

Except they somehow to manage to be orders of magnitude better at the whole "sharing games within the same household" thing than steam is. Oh, and customer support that functions properly.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: December 13, 2016, 06:18:40 pm »

I have no problem with the two of them, but I really, really don't want to see any more fragmentation. Steam is convenient and works well - especially for games with a lot of updates and/or multiplayer, and from what I hear it's pretty fair with devs.

However, if we end up getting one platform for each publisher then I'll be rather annoyed.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 280