Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854810 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #2040 on: December 05, 2016, 01:15:57 am »

Some aspects of the personality/relationship system were pretty rigid and immersion-breaking, but the game's a WIP so that's understandable.
Always kind of annoying how people continue to be horrified by death and violence when they're supposedly hardened veterans, for one thing. Also I think a fair amount of the relationship system isn't very transparent... I had this one colonist who was pretty much universally disliked, despite having no social traits. He'd be constantly spewing insults, which was fine by me, but I had no idea why he was like that. O.o
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: December 05, 2016, 02:21:43 am »

Usually when something like that is put it, it's somewhat badly, and then 1-2 updates later will get shuffled to make sense.  Like how people could be younger than their child.  Next update was like 'yeah you're right, let's fix that'.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: December 05, 2016, 04:42:10 am »

Being younger in relative age but older in absolute years just makes a great story and is a realistic effect from relativistic space travel.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: December 05, 2016, 09:16:22 am »

"you just married your great-great-great-grandmom"
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: December 06, 2016, 08:02:12 am »

Catsplosion ahoy.

"a group of cats joins"

SERIOUSLY? Ten cats? I just bought 1 cat from the last caravan. That doesn't mean I put up a crazy old cat lady sign for all cats to flock to  :P
Ah well, we be eating cats then.

EDIT: Oh gods. One of the cats is named Trump.

I guess we be eating Trump

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: December 06, 2016, 08:10:50 am »

One of my colonists got her ear shot off. Her husband got a negative -15 though in the social screen about her, 'disfigured'.
A few days later he divorced her.

That's ... harsh. He's now flirting with the new recruit. She's all ears.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: December 07, 2016, 11:22:06 am »

Catsplosion ahoy.

"a group of cats joins"

SERIOUSLY? Ten cats? I just bought 1 cat from the last caravan. That doesn't mean I put up a crazy old cat lady sign for all cats to flock to  :P
Ah well, we be eating cats then.

EDIT: Oh gods. One of the cats is named Trump.

I guess we be eating Trump
Build a wall to keep the cats out.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: December 07, 2016, 12:16:37 pm »

OUCH!

I mistakenly thought that slaughtering a tamed boomalope wouldn't explode it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: December 07, 2016, 12:23:01 pm »

Being younger in relative age but older in absolute years just makes a great story and is a realistic effect from relativistic space travel.
Agreed, and is possible, but for a while it was possible to have children who were biologically and chronologically older than their parent.  As in "I was born in the year 2115 and my son was born in the year 2108."

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #2049 on: December 07, 2016, 01:50:46 pm »

OUCH!

I mistakenly thought that slaughtering a tamed boomalope wouldn't explode it.
Yea, they're always either hunted or sicced in my games. Siccing them is great, but often I don't have the colonist-hours to devote to enough of them to make them useful. Just a couple will get gunned down before they get close enough.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: December 08, 2016, 05:15:38 am »

After a second herd of alphabeavers arrived, I thought that it would go like the first time - Spud, with the rifle, had made quick work of the pests that first encounter. However, this second herd fell into a frenzy after just two shots and downed Spud in a matter of seconds.

I mean, that's bad enough, a downed colonist on the other side of an angry beaver mob. Then, a literal lightning strike. . .

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That has got to be the worst way to die. Mauled by beaver, then crisped by a wildfire.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: December 08, 2016, 06:10:25 pm »

Heh, a message popped up that one of my married pawns has started an affair with another pawn. Apparently the spouse is immediatly aware, getting a -70 relationship penalty to her husband. Big momma is watching you, buddy.

EDIT: Heh, he still bangs his wife, with a -7 'wants to sleep with lover' thought.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 06:17:14 pm by martinuzz »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: December 13, 2016, 01:36:44 am »

GUESS WHAAAAT
Yup. Alpha 16 is  now on the public unstable branch. Accessable on steam by Properties -> Betas -> Version dropdown. The developer says that if you want the full & complete experience without massive bugs, you should wait until the actual release.

But that sure isn't going to stop me!
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: December 13, 2016, 02:30:09 am »

Massive bugs? Infestation size and intensity tripled for this release, I bet.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: December 13, 2016, 03:39:23 am »

Just loaded up the unstable release and generated an entire globe. Pretty amazing before you even get into the game part of the game.

Then I dev'd up a 10 man colony with charge rifles, packed a nice survivial ration lunch, and formed a caravan to attack a tribal settlement a few hours away. That opened up a whole new map generated for the encounter, they had a few wooden sleeping areas and a larger sleeping area without permanent beds. It was all heated by torches and they had a store house full of pemmican and smokeleaf. I restricted my fighters to a small area far away from their camp and started cutting down trees and building a small wooden structure to protect from the cold and assembled an incendiary mortar. Once they started sleeping I opened up with the mortar, setting fire to their structure. They don't seem to have firefighting ai so they lost almost everything very quickly. After that I sent half my force to harass them from the front and the other half to blow a hole in a wall and create a flank. I got the alert that the outpost had been destroyed and then, deciding it was nicer than my current map, abandoned my old site and settled there.

This is pretty awesome. Since you have pretty free access to your normal tools during an attack I'm thinking about hostile outpost mining. Sending in an armed force to build a secure camp and drill for minerals where we aren't welcome.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 03:42:52 am by Broseph Stalin »
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 280