Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854746 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1995 on: November 28, 2016, 12:21:48 am »

Combat Realism and EPOE are big enough that a lot of mods patch for compatibility. I know that Rimfire used to have a CR branch.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: November 28, 2016, 12:33:28 am »

Yes, the spaceship is built more like the ISS, spindly and thin, rather than the bulky ships we usually think of.  But there's no reason for it to be big.  It's just cryo pods, no one's walking, and if the pods are shielded from radiation then there's no need for extra hull.

There's a few mods for extra ship parts, which are interesting but not important.  Things like hull plates and slopes.
So my built spaceship which looks like a ribcage with cryosleep capsules attached works into liftoff? :P
...I sent all my people in there, including the best of the lot. They don't even have anywhere to stand or walk now. x_x No wonder our start has us from a broken ship :P

Humor aside, I like that imagery of yours :D
Went back on that save and tried a wholly non-aerodynamic and otherwise 'really not right' spaceship format.
...It worked ._. So it really may be a placeholder (Imagine a giant cascade of 'stair' lining as the skeleton; ascending vertical then horizontal then vertical, etc), as by design, this really wouldn't have worked out right. At least it provides the nice imagery of a twirly-spaceship in space, with the cryo capsules like tiny polyps and thrusters at each end of the stair step.

Combat Realism and EPOE are big enough that a lot of mods patch for compatibility. I know that Rimfire used to have a CR branch.
Does Combat Realism work without that...um, one mod that requires a library or something? I edited the scenario to have 50% the time of ranged cooldown and aim speed to be better in accurately mimicking the danger of ranged warfare (so melee w/ shield is still put in danger), because I was surprised at how fast enemy shield-bandits could go with the colonist only firing...like, two or three volleys of their gun.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 12:38:49 am by Tiruin »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: November 28, 2016, 01:27:50 am »

I personally doubt something along the lines of prepare carefully would be put in the game, based off of what I know of the dev.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: November 28, 2016, 01:40:14 am »

Quote from: Tiruin link=topic=131168.msg7277775#msg7277775
Does Combat Realism work without that...um, one mod that requires a library or something? I edited the scenario to have 50% the time of ranged cooldown and aim speed to be better in accurately mimicking the danger of ranged warfare (so melee w/ shield is still put in danger), because I was surprised at how fast enemy shield-bandits could go with the colonist only firing...like, two or three volleys of their gun.
For now Combat Realism works without the Community Core Library.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: November 28, 2016, 02:49:48 am »

I'd LOVE combat realism if it played nice with any mod that adds weapons... (unless they updated it and somehow it does now)

Or didn't had the absolute mess that's ammo management. Beauty of Rimworld is that it's both complex and streamlined. That mod manages to "ME! ME! ME!" all the experience basically. When it was just a rebalance it was so much fun :(

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: November 28, 2016, 05:18:31 am »

And unfortunately I like Rimsenal too much to ever give it up... Because it is the only... well... series of mods that actually fills in the completely absent sci-fi element of the game.
Another one! :3
Love Rimsenal too due to the choice of being able to make those kinds of armors (but taking a whole tech tree in itself that precludes [is equal to the # of research and more] the Spacefaring game-winning tech). Also it adds nice diversity to weapons, and you can pick WHICH ones to add to your game! (I use the core weapons pack + Rimsenal hair)
On the other side, that pack perked out enemies that they're a lot deadlier in contrast >_< Still haven't found out how to nudge the difficulty however, so I'm fighting *space-science weaponry* with modern tech + bows. Pretty fun though.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: November 28, 2016, 10:44:19 am »

"Toby has developed alcohol dependency".

I'm like who the fuck is Toby? I ain't got no colonists named Toby.

I now have an alcoholic husky. I guess I need to exclude the drugs room from the animal area  :D
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: November 28, 2016, 01:22:49 pm »

Give the people the appropriate loadouts, then bam. Fully automated ammo picking up and production. It's really not that hard, just a bit annoying having to create the loadouts every game.

In general that's something Rimworld desperately needs. A way to save loadouts out so you can use them in every game without recreating them. Outfits, stockpiles, drug use, all of that would be great to have saved to disk for future use.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: November 28, 2016, 01:38:56 pm »

That would be an amazing feature to have, yes.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #2004 on: November 28, 2016, 01:50:58 pm »

The colony manager mod does this to a degree with some things. But agreed, a full-blown stock version would be nice.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: November 29, 2016, 06:11:09 am »

Give the people the appropriate loadouts, then bam. Fully automated ammo picking up and production. It's really not that hard, just a bit annoying having to create the loadouts every game.

In general that's something Rimworld desperately needs. A way to save loadouts out so you can use them in every game without recreating them. Outfits, stockpiles, drug use, all of that would be great to have saved to disk for future use.
This...so much, please ;~;
I have to design and designate a pretty common format with my colonists everytime (which, of note, is also the same thing I do with DF :P but there's streamlining that had happened in the last few updates as I recall, or in third-party accepted programs/mods), and the notice of stockpiles had me recalling how DF handled it well.

As a related aside as it's a minor thing, but I was reminded of having designated stockpiles that take from other stockpiles rather than the relative degree of 5-standards of importance may be of some help too.
...Although that's me and organizing. I find the '5 degrees' being not that applicable if one would create minor (1x1 or such) stockpiles in places...and a 'take from here' being an extremely good substitute. ._.;

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: November 29, 2016, 12:52:19 pm »

Are there any grazers that can be trained to haul? Them dogs eat all my pemmicans / meat, depending on which stockpile I allow access to. Hay-powered haulers would be much preferred.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Lucidvizion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: November 29, 2016, 02:26:26 pm »

I use pigs, but you have to zone them away from stockpiled meat because they're technically omnivorous.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #2008 on: November 29, 2016, 03:29:47 pm »

I use pigs, but you have to zone them away from stockpiled meat because they're technically omnivorous.
+1
Boars make the best conveyors, properly zoned.  :P

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: November 29, 2016, 04:03:37 pm »

Pigs are thieves! I just noticed one of my boars gobbling up a meal that was just delivered to a prisoner  :D

But yeah, if they can be sustained on just hay, they'd be a good alternative. My colonists be eating husky this winter.

Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 280