Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854649 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1905 on: November 02, 2016, 10:28:34 pm »

The only reason this article isn't "combative" is because it's too sniveling to say anything outright or back itself up.

The author of the article listed code from the game. You can't really get much more "backed up" than that. But let's face it, you're not mad about the tone of the article. You're mad because you disagree with it.

And you aren't because you agree with it. What is your point?

I sincerely don't see what's click-bait about "the game models the behavior of attraction in some specifically bad ways, maybe that should be addressed"

edit: And, again, the reason most people I know are talking about the article is because the dev proclaiming full on nonsense like that bisexual guys don't exist in real life.

Now you are just out righting lying.

Quote from: TynanSylvester post on RPS(emphasis mine)
Of course I’m sure bi/bi-curious men exist, but the research and what I’ve seen supports the conclusion that they’re rarer than bi women.

Look, I don't even really like the guy. He usually does some passive-agressive remarks against DF, and everyone should know DF to me is the best thing invented after bread. But there is a lot of unjust assumptions being made here.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: November 02, 2016, 10:29:53 pm »

The game literally programs men and women into different roles.
Backed up by data. What's the issue?
By data that interprets things with the notice that this isn't to be generalized, you mean :P Yea, there's a difference in roles, but it's not so much a difference that it can be encompassed fully by code.
It MAY apply in the context of a certain region but not of a country or larger scale area.
...And that's probably part the issue. "Men" and "Women" are extremely variant, and thus the communication with it (eg In the article/b y the dev) lead up to how people go about it...when just waiting and letting it develop further is a more reasonable alternative because it's not even a released game yet. As far as I know anyway? It's something still in development, and the dev is doing stuff with it at the moment to reflect things, at the moment.

Hence why I mentioned miscommunication earlier.

The only reason this article isn't "combative" is because it's too sniveling to say anything outright or back itself up.

The author of the article listed code from the game. You can't really get much more "backed up" than that. But let's face it, you're not mad about the tone of the article. You're mad because you disagree with it.

It's a lot better to listen to each other than work with the idea of a theme like 'this is what I get about what they're saying so...maybe this implies that!'.
Leads to a lot less 'This is what you say :I' and stuff about predicting what others say over listening to them. :P

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: November 02, 2016, 10:35:17 pm »

It's a lot better to listen to each other than work with the idea of a theme like 'this is what I get about what they're saying so...maybe this implies that!'.
Leads to a lot less 'This is what you say :I' and stuff about predicting what others say over listening to them. :P

It is funny how the article's author just did this regarding the developer intentions.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: November 02, 2016, 10:36:30 pm »

Actually not. None of those sources were peer-reviewed. Moreover, the balance between reinforcing/breaking down the status quo is the point of the article. The game also allows for cannibalism, slavery, and plenty of other morally repugnant situations, but the characters react to them in ways that create a narrative. This particular system is largely invisible and is treated as an absolute, belying the dev's own biases.

Does that mean that he's a terrible person who deserves to burn eternally? Not at all. However, it does highlight how socialization can affect game systems (and many other things) in innocuous but toxic ways.

He never said that. He actually said all of the "bisexual" guys he knows personally later came out as gay, but he's sure bisexual men exist. Maybe stop misrepresenting what he's saying, yeah?

Does this change the fact that no bi men exist in the game?

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: November 02, 2016, 10:38:47 pm »

Important to note that that was "pseudo-code" written by the author, based on the real code. They do state that in the article, but I've seen so many people refer to it as the actual code that it seems like that wasn't made clear enough. None of the words written in the article are actually found in the code verbatim.

I sincerely don't see what's click-bait about "the game models the behavior of attraction in some specifically bad ways, maybe that should be addressed"

edit: And, again, the reason most people I know are talking about the article is because the dev proclaiming full on nonsense like that bisexual guys don't exist in real life.

It's a subject that's going to get a lot of people angry for basically no reason and end up spreading the link around to rant about it on one side or another. That's click-bait.

Did they do the whole, "10 ways doctors don't want you to know about losing weight that this average house-wife found out." thing? No. But they did pick a subject that's well known to be inflammatory and then used language which implied a lot while not actually accusing directly.

And is there really anything wrong with the way it's portrayed in the game?

I mean, it says a lot that other than a few bugs like people going into a depression spiral by repeatedly asking people to date and getting turned down, that nobody really questioned the way things worked until now. It models what we expect relationships to look like fairly well from an abstracted view.

Is it an oversight that there are no bi men? Maybe. But it's also true that there are significantly less bi men than women. Is it an oversight that all women are bi? Maybe, but it's also true that women are much more likely to be open to bisexuality in some manner than men. It is also an early access game though. It's not finished and while some work was put into this part of the game, it's pretty obvious it's not finished.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #1910 on: November 02, 2016, 10:42:27 pm »

He never said that. He actually said all of the "bisexual" guys he knows personally later came out as gay, but he's sure bisexual men exist. Maybe stop misrepresenting what he's saying, yeah?

I was going off of how he coded the game, not a specific quote, apologies.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: November 02, 2016, 10:43:56 pm »

And this is exactly why they needed to have an interview.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: November 02, 2016, 10:46:17 pm »

And this is exactly why they needed to have an interview.
And clarified what they mean by 'edit', yeaaah. (Or how it works and stuff)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: November 02, 2016, 10:46:43 pm »

Actually not. None of those sources were peer-reviewed. Moreover, the balance between reinforcing/breaking down the status quo is the point of the article. The game also allows for cannibalism, slavery, and plenty of other morally repugnant situations, but the characters react to them in ways that create a narrative. This particular system is largely invisible and is treated as an absolute, belying the dev's own biases.

Does that mean that he's a terrible person who deserves to burn eternally? Not at all. However, it does highlight how socialization can affect game systems (and many other things) in innocuous but toxic ways.

Does the fact that no bi men exists in the game implies that he believes no bi men exists? You surely use a lot of circulus in probando.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: How Scripten's Machinations Support The RPS Agenda
« Reply #1914 on: November 02, 2016, 10:47:31 pm »

And your post is literally defending the article, but a post entitled "How Scripten's Machinations Support The RPS Agenda" would be a clickbait post title. It uses political language to describe something in a curiously specific fashion, with "political bullshit" being the most likely reason.

So... what, you think I disagree with RPS' assertion that in Rimworld all women are lesbians? That appears to be the point you are countering here. Followed by open contempt.

Do you actually want to have a conversation with me on this topic, or just point and laugh at another bumbling member of the Wrong Tribe?

"Specifically" being the operative word here. The article's dripping with insinuations that X is bad and Y is wrong and Z is just a really fascinating thing we should give the benefit of the doubt in assuming might be changed any day now but for now we have to judge it as it is and boy it does not look good.

Nowhere does it actually explain why any of this is bad, though, and certainly nowhere does it attempt to remain neutral or levelheaded in describing them. That's not an actual article, and it's not even really an angry rant. It's insinuated sensationalism.

What does this have to do with the article, though?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #1915 on: November 02, 2016, 10:47:53 pm »

I am phoneposting barely anove sentence fragments so lemme formally withdraw until I can get to a keyboard and copy and paste stuff, sorry

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: November 02, 2016, 10:50:44 pm »

Which system do you have an issue with exactly? The "all women are secretly bisexual for attractive enough women" bit? Or the "women are less likely than men to flirt with random people" bit? Or the stereotype that all men like young women and all women like men their age or older? Which one's toxic? Does every game need to aspire to "break down the status quo"? Does a game need to conform to your particular politics, or can it reflect the politics of its creator and still be worth playing and analyzing? The simple fact that Rimworld simulates genders slightly differently is what's allowing us to have this dialogue in the first place: in that way, isn't it helping break down the status quo?
Do bi men need to exist in every game before it gets your stamp of approval? If so, how far into development can it be before the absence of bi men goes from being a mere oversight to being a "reinforcement of the status quo" and worth criticizing?

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: November 02, 2016, 10:57:31 pm »

I'm surprised at the backlash against the article itself, since its actually really interesting to read how relationships are coded in a game, and the fact that a developer actually took the time to try and simulate things instead of just setting flat ratios. I wouldn't mind the author outright stating what they'd prefer and a less inflammatory title, but I can't have everything I want in clickbait. Its also a little ridiculous to use the "its a game, not a simulation of reality" argument here given that the dev's been citing research to back up the way things work in the game. At any rate I'm sure there's some sort of mod that comes out of this that makes things more even, so I'll look forward to downloading that.

That said, this is the kind of issue that causes tempers to rise and gets Toady called in, so I'd advise against trying to provoke heated arguments like some of you seem to be deliberately trying to do.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 11:02:14 pm by Persus13 »
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: November 02, 2016, 11:14:31 pm »

Sorry for the walls of text. Comment incoming...

Spoiler: "sluissa" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "thvaz" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "IronyOwl" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "Malus" (click to show/hide)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: November 02, 2016, 11:28:36 pm »

It's wonky and bizarrely specific, but I don't see a reason to get upset about that. Toady's weapon/material system is hideously complex and doesn't work, but nobody's going to argue that angry political bullshit about him denigrating the effectiveness of bronze is kind of understandable.
People got to hot about this, I am 100% on board there. I don't know his politics, I have a conscious decision not to know his politics for the same reason I don't know Toady's politics. A content creators politics are as stupid and uninteresting to me as any other human beings politics. Apart from the obvious difference that metals aren't people materials and their properties are mechanically important. The relative shittieness of bronze determines the way you play a game on a map with an abundance of tin and copper, the fact that men cannot conceive of wanting to touch both lady bits and man parts doesn't make the game play different. Materials are also on the properties of materials and not inserting modern gender roles into the relationships fantastical future setting of your own creation.
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 280