Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854488 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1800 on: September 25, 2016, 03:29:40 am »

A side effect of toxic buildup is that I now have all of the meat forever.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: September 25, 2016, 03:31:58 am »

HOLY CARP CARGO PODS JUST SHOWERED ME WITH COMPONENTS I HAVE ENOUGH TO BUILD A COMPONENT TABLE NOW ERMAGERD

A side effect of toxic buildup is that I now have all of the meat forever.
...Yeah, I may have been a tad slow in getting the animal sleeping areas roofed over. >.>
Oh well, at least I'll presumably get to see what the stuff actually does at higher levels of exposure!   

Edit: The toxic fallout has been ongoing for five and a half days now.
We're pretty much out of food until the next lot of hydroponic potatoes finish growing, since we haven't been able to hunt and the pets have been eating a lot of what food we did have. We're out of wood and so the only power is from our geothermal generators, which mostly just power the hydroponics, so people are cold and in darkness and whatever. Also there's only one stove that works without electricity, but that hardly matters now that we're out of raw food. Some folks are cut off from their rooms since it would have taking too much effort to link them via covered walkway, so they've been sleeping in groups along with all the animals.

Tempers are fraying. The winter drags on. People have even resorted to cleaning to keep themselves occupied.
The only thing we have plenty of is crack and cocaine. ...Oh, and there's still beer in the pool hall.

And now... just now, a pack of manhunter wargs showed up on the horizon.
Could this be the end for Snoutfell, my first-ever colony? We've lived through some nasty stuff in the past, but this is going to be rough.
Let's see how this goes. Exciting stuff! :D
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 07:18:07 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: September 25, 2016, 07:46:04 am »

On the upside, if the wargs don't kill you then you'll have the food problem solved.  Also, don't know how much you care for tips/spoilers but
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Nom nom nom

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: September 25, 2016, 07:52:09 am »

Yeah, we managed to fight off the wargs. Sustained a lot of injuries, but somehow no permanent ones as far as I'm aware! :o

Oh dear. One, rather neurotic colonist couldn't handle the stress of the attack and the injuries she sustained.
After a bit of bed rest she went into a daze, and while at first she still seemed to be keeping to the safe zone, she has now stripped naked and wandered out into the fallout. :( I wonder what will get her first, the toxins or the cold... might have to arrest her. Hmmm.
Booze is Life for Yoink

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: September 25, 2016, 07:53:36 am »

I am a terrible person, and I usually just monitor people like that waiting for them to pass out from cold/infections/fallout and then send someone to grab their unconscious body.  Doesn't always save em, but it serves em right!
Nom nom nom

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: September 25, 2016, 08:09:31 am »

Haha, trying to arrest her turned out to be quite entertaining.
The nearest person happened to be her father, an uzi-toting commissar, who was making drugs.
He rushed over to try and drag her inside to a hastily-arranged prison bed, only for her to snap and attack him. :o

I undraft him so he can flee, but he can't escape her. Might be the weird mechanite disease she contracted, since he's supposedly a "jogger".
So I am he is forced to draft him again spin around and start pumping bullets into his own daughter, tears streaming down his face and mixing with the horrible toxic sludge pouring from the sky. Unfortunately, she's built like a tank and lays some more smackdown on him until he's knocked out, despite being riddled with bullets. >.>

I waited 'til she'd moved away from him a little and wandered into the colony proper, doubtless looking for more victims, then sent someone else to grab him. She decided not to chase them and instead cornered a guy in the pool hall. In a moment of panic I let him stab her a couple of times with his spear (dude's a pretty good fighter) just hoping she'd collapse before serious harm was done, before realising I could just have him drop it.

So he knocked her out and dragged her to a hospital bed, placing her alongside her very bruised father.
I had my most skilled medic stationed in the hospital whilst all this was going on, so... it looks like she'll actually survive after all that. O.o

This game really does come out with great stories from time to time. Talk about a dysfunctional family.
...Oh, and as all that was going on, just after the commissar was beaten to a pulp? The fallout lifted. It's finally over.
We survived! Somehow! :'D   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: September 26, 2016, 01:14:24 pm »

So here I am, playing my first game (not vanilla though, because why take the easy way? Or is vanilla the hard way, because I used Prepare Carefully?), deciding to go the lone explorer route. He's a pretty good shot, okay with most survival skills, and turds at socializing. I gave him a P90 (my favorite firearm of all time) in exchange for the gold that I'd start with. So I land on my good huge map in a perfectly temperate zone with a constant growing season right next to this structure. I bust through the wall and BAM BIGASS SPIDER. I kite it and gun it down, using my doggie as bait. Then I run in and kill the hive that I'm sure would have made things a lot harder had I not stumbled upon it immediately.

The room also contained three cryopods that I emptied. I've played through this run for a few hours now, just lost my first two colonists so I'm down to eight. They're dead because I decided fighting a Thrumbo was a good idea. And it was, because one of the people who died was old and had dementia, and the other refused to do anything useful. It also took off my foot, and the infection of my arm might force the removal of that as well. But that's good because I want to have roboguy parts.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: September 26, 2016, 01:19:28 pm »

Playing permanent cold-snap in the cold forest area, I think its Boreal or something. 

Impossibru with tribal start, even as a cheating bastard with gorillian Pemmican start.  Could never get farming industry up in time.  Also, not a good idea using melee for hunting.(I should remove that mod.) 
I might have faired better if I put bows on my hunters instead... and didn't have so many dogs uselessly eating everything.  And it might be a good idea to purge the more useless members of my society with prejudice, but someone needs to do the hauling and the cleaning.... blargh. 

Hunter AI versus mad animals.  All sorts of dumb.  Gotta babysit that sort of thing.  ...  Is there some way to set up automated colonist guard duty?  A mod for it?  More mouths to feed in my quest for automated self-sustaining settlement. 
Granted, I do have 2-3 get 'er done pawns I usually use, so I can just focus on them, rather then on everything.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: September 26, 2016, 01:35:11 pm »

In typical DF-like fashion, one of my people's arm replacement surgeries was botched, and their spine was removed instead.

The doctor has a neat backstory in-game, though. She was the first person to offer to help me out, and while she's a pacifist her 11 Medicine skill was sure to come in handy I figured. So when we experienced our second raid, essentially a 3v1, and she was critically injured in the attack, I threw her into one of the cryopods so I could keep her alive until we got someone with more than a 3 in Medicine and that I could be sure we had the necessary supplies and equipment to keep her alive and fix her up. I wound up reviving her after a pack of manhunting boars popped up a day before the Thrumbo did, totally because she was the hero we needed and not because I forgotten about her.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: September 27, 2016, 05:51:15 am »

All the spineripping is better feature in the art produced there in a true Boatmurdered fashion.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: September 27, 2016, 10:51:31 am »

I just found out I can change how colonists react to threats.  That freaking little running man icon, when you click on it changes how colonists react to threats.  I'm not sure if its vanilla or some random mod I picked up.
Hungry animals are no longer a threat(well the smaller hungry bastards anyways) and I could now theoretically set-up guard bunkers, condemning some poor sod(s) to comfortable purgatory with the help of the embrasures mod and limited area designation. 

There are natural mountain chokepoints to my map, all crossings pass near my base, where my hunters could casually step out and take potshots at anything.  Thanks to the manager mod, they'll autohunt stuff that tries to pass through.  Animals/travelers are slowed down by the marshysnow terrain, so plenty of time to react. 

Also picked up some hauling robot mod, so it'll be much easier on me with actually making a supply line to those guard posts.  Dogs spend way too much time being dogs to actually put a dent in hauling.

Winter is also fun with all the visiting caravans.  (Visitors have the good sense to gtfo.) Half of them usually don't wear enough for -70F degree weather. 
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 11:01:45 am by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1811 on: September 27, 2016, 11:12:56 am »

I just found out I can change how colonists react to threats.  That freaking little running man icon, when you click on it changes how colonists react to threats.  I'm not sure if its vanilla or some random mod I picked up.

It's vanilla.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: September 27, 2016, 11:21:58 pm »

Tried to arrest a 'dazed' colonist who was in danger of starving to death whilst wandering in a mental state, and... well, he went berserk, so I had another colonist drop their melee weapon and rush to assist the person attempting the arrest.
Both of them punched him repeatedly, he refused to drop, it went on for a while and then... he died. I don't even see any major injuries in his health screen, just a bunch of bruises and a cracked jaw, but he was beaten to death. This is sad. :-\

Edit: I'm probably gonna cave and savescum. A) it was a pretty stupid death, and B) he was one of my more useful colonists... >.>
At least if he had some signs of a life-threatening injury I might be okay with it, but no. Maybe he actually just died of starvation at the same moment a punch connected? Hmm, that might be it. Who knows. Or maybe the exertion of punchin' and bein' punched drained his last calories.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 11:30:07 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: September 28, 2016, 05:46:11 am »

There's sort of a hidden HP system. Do enough trauma to someone and they'll just keel over for seemingly no reason. It's been a long-standing issue.
Nothing important here, move along.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: September 28, 2016, 05:56:51 am »

I don't think it's so much of an issue necessarily.  Usually when they just sort of keel over it's from overwhelming pain or bloodloss as opposed to lack of consciousness which is what knocks people down (or no movement stat left)
Nom nom nom
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 280