Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854413 times)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1755 on: September 13, 2016, 09:17:37 pm »

I hadn't realized Mortars were this OP.  :o

Getting better at timing my shots and DAMN
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: September 13, 2016, 10:29:12 pm »

I hadn't realized Mortars were this OP.  :o

Getting better at timing my shots and DAMN
AUGH I still need more components to even try them :'(

Edit: I kinda wish I was playing on permadeath. I started this colony as the tutorial, so I couldn't choose that option.

Just now I had a bunch of tribals crossing my land, noticed one was titled "chief", checked the faction screen and saw the same surname listed as that of the leader of a hostile tribe. I was a bit puzzled as to why they'd be just crossing my land without attacking, but I didn't give that much thought and instead ordered my fighters into position.
We quickly massacred all but one of them, with little to no casualties on our side, and even managed to take said "chief" captive.

It was only once the attack started and I received a "bad will" notification that I finally realised that this chief wasn't the leader of the enemy tribe, but in fact just someone with the same surname- and that I had made enemies of the only friendly tribe. Turns out he's the husband of the enemy leader... not sure how he wound up being in (possibly leading?) a friendly tribe whilst married to a hostile one, but oh well.

Now I'm faced with the difficult decision of whether to savescum or not. :-\
If I was playing permadeath I'd just have to live with my mistake and that would be that. What d'you guys think?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 04:01:14 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: September 14, 2016, 04:18:02 am »

This depends on one things, I think - does the chief have a delicious spleen? If yes, it was all worth it.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: September 14, 2016, 05:14:27 am »

Randy so far seems the best for a nice difficult challenge, but I'm only on my first go with him and I know at any moment a whole bunch of bad things can happen at once. Still without the raid cycle being almost a sure thing (like Cassandra) I find there's more gaps where you can get stuff done or get good luck and expand your settler count.

I pretty much exclusively play on Randy Extreme, but I've starting tweaking the difficulty mid-game now, going up or down as needed to keep the game interesting. When I kept it on max, I'd be lucky to have five survivors at once before they all go berserk, die of plague, starve, freeze, or just generally end up with so many scars, bruises, cuts, cracks, and what have you that the overwhelming pain was too much for them to ever be a functional ember of society again.

One of my recent games had a guy with no nose, a missing left leg and right arm, recovering plague and several infections, fibrous mechanites, debuffs from all kinds of cannibalism, corpse-seeing, and dying friends/family/compatriots that I'm surprised he had time to eat between bouts of rage.

Now I start on extreme, wait until I'm about to give up, then drop it back to challenging until I have a handle on things. Seems like a good balance so far; there's still the chance of something bad happening, but it gives me time to build up a reasonable stockpile.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: September 14, 2016, 11:36:11 pm »

If I was playing permadeath I'd just have to live with my mistake and that would be that. What d'you guys think?
After much consideration, I think I'll just go with it. This is my first colony anyway, I really shouldn't be so precious with it.
No more tribal pals for us, I guess. Still kinda annoying, though. I'd increased our relations with them by three whole points since I started! :(
Booze is Life for Yoink

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: September 15, 2016, 12:49:35 am »

You can increase relations to hostile factions by capturing their members, treating their wounds and releasing them. If they make it over the edge of the map, you get a relationship increase. So you can potentially salvage the situation that way.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: September 15, 2016, 05:48:21 am »

After much consideration, I think I'll just go with it. This is my first colony anyway, I really shouldn't be so precious with it.
No more tribal pals for us, I guess. Still kinda annoying, though. I'd increased our relations with them by three whole points since I started! :(

No shame in savescumming. Games are about fun and if you have more fun by going back in time then that's fine. I do it all the time and enjoy games so much more than having to play the start over and over again.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: September 21, 2016, 07:43:13 am »

Question: how do you butcher people?
I've just been piling up dead attackers next to my settlement and leaving them to rot, but if we could turn them into an emergency food supply that could be quite useful.

Also, I looked at this much-acclaimed Combat Realism mod and for the most part it looks good enough, but... it adds ammunition? I'm sorry but that sounds like a huge pain in the arse, and the game has enough stuff to keep track of already. I'm guessing you'd need steel and goodness knows what else to make ammunition, which would effectively make all my lovely high-quality firearms useless, since I'm short enough on materials as it is.

Maybe once I've played the game a bit more (my first colony still hasn't died out, somehow, in fact everything is peachy right now apart from a shot-off foot after a friendly fire incident and a sun lamp that mysteriously refuses to power on) I'll give the mod a shot, but 'til then it sounds awful. :P

You can increase relations to hostile factions by capturing their members, treating their wounds and releasing them. If they make it over the edge of the map, you get a relationship increase. So you can potentially salvage the situation that way.
Oh interesting, I did not know that. Thanks!
Bit late now since they've already started raiding me and dying in their droves, but oh well. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: September 21, 2016, 07:53:39 am »

I've just been piling up dead attackers next to my settlement and leaving them to rot, but if we could turn them into an emergency food supply that could be quite useful.
Humanoid meat is not allowed for butchering and cooking by default, so you need to configure the butchering job in the butcher table to allow it. Same with cooking the meat later.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: September 21, 2016, 11:22:29 am »

Ha, right, thanks! I should really have worked that out already. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

BluarianKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • Gimme a soul, sailor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: September 21, 2016, 12:07:33 pm »

Also, I looked at this much-acclaimed Combat Realism mod and for the most part it looks good enough, but... it adds ammunition? I'm sorry but that sounds like a huge pain in the arse, and the game has enough stuff to keep track of already. I'm guessing you'd need steel and goodness knows what else to make ammunition, which would effectively make all my lovely high-quality firearms useless, since I'm short enough on materials as it is.

Maybe once I've played the game a bit more (my first colony still hasn't died out, somehow, in fact everything is peachy right now apart from a shot-off foot after a friendly fire incident and a sun lamp that mysteriously refuses to power on) I'll give the mod a shot, but 'til then it sounds awful. :P
If Combat Realism did NOT give you ammo, it would be a cheat mod. Certain weapons get VERY high buffs, (like shotguns having a multitude of pellets shooting out, that can hit a LOT of raiders on one shot.) Ammo isn't terrible from my experience, other then splitting it among people, it can provide a challenge to fighting, (and also makes raiders with grenades, rockets, MUCH less dangerous as they only have enough ammo to shoot x amount.)
Also, looting ammo is easy too.
A beautiful lesbian trans lass, I'll punch ya dork.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: September 21, 2016, 05:30:17 pm »

At first i wad sceptical about bullets and such, but they also add backpack and looting so much easier too. Enroll a guy with lots of space on him, right click all the litter, grab and it goes in the backpack so you wont have to do 125 run outside your settlement.

Also ammo wise, sure you need to make ammo but the amount of ammo is quite high for the resource required.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: September 21, 2016, 09:01:36 pm »

What I love most about CR is the loadouts. By default everyone has a pistol, one reload, and a knife. When trouble comes I switch uniforms and loadouts and everybody runs to get their armor and guns, it's neat.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: September 21, 2016, 09:04:27 pm »

I uses Combat Realism before Vanilla actually, and frankly it is SOOO much better. I just wish it was more... modular. It sucks that it breaks basically every other weapon mod.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: September 21, 2016, 10:40:24 pm »

I uses Combat Realism before Vanilla actually, and frankly it is SOOO much better. I just wish it was more... modular. It sucks that it breaks basically every other weapon mod.
^^^^
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 280