Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854388 times)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1740 on: September 11, 2016, 08:16:49 am »

That was Fallout 3, IIRC?
Black lives matter.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: September 11, 2016, 12:18:34 pm »

I really wish there was a way for the game to increase the difficulty of tribes without "lol have 80 of the bastards at once". At this point its my standard procedure to get them neutral as son as possible.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: September 11, 2016, 05:31:47 pm »

Had a raid of about 20 tribals today. They split into 2 groups and attacked at both the north and southern entrances of the compound.

I sent two militamen with charge rifles to each entrance, as well as one demolitions each. I put the last militawoman on the incendiary mortar that a squad of pirates helpfully delivered.

In about two minutes, the map was on fire, the tribals were fleeing, and the thud of mortar rounds was replaced by the explosions of burning boomalope in the distance.

In three minutes, the stench of burning native filled the air, the boomalope were all dead, as were everything else nearby. No human escaped that day. Two lived, taken prisoner to bolster my workforce. One was consigned to the burning and the winter, to die in fire and ice. The rest were dead or dying, the healthiest tribesman almost making it off the map before making the questionable decision to hug a burning boomrat.

In four minutes, a heavy snow had come, dousing the fires that were encroaching on the walls.

In one day, the cold snap ended, and the snow melted. The rlgrass returned, green and vibrant. The ash was gone. The bodies burned. The grass was all that remained.

Except for the settlement, a wooden palisade in the plain, and a small group of hovels and workshops. In Fartown, the night is stopped by the lights of man. Fartown preserveres. Fartown endures.

So that was my second Autumn.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: September 11, 2016, 10:04:50 pm »

Oh my goodness! I just built my first machining table, and... artillery shells only require steel to make?!
How exciting! This bodes well for the future! Once we've finished researching mortars we'll be able to blast the heck out of anyone who steps foot nearby! Oh, and might as well look into making some IEDs as well. What fun! :D

...Perhaps I'll get my crafters to whip up some actual weapons and armour, too. Pity most of my folks prefer melee weapons to shooting.
Hopefully I can recruit/purchase a decent marksman or two at some point. 
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: September 11, 2016, 10:08:00 pm »

In the process of constructing a castle (w/ cheats) to do some hardcore wave defense. It makes me wish there were truly flat maps--it would be an interesting and very difficult challenge.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: September 12, 2016, 03:18:46 am »

Thinking of getting Combat Realism, mainly just to make the most of the excellent-quality shotgun one of my crafters managed to make for the first-ever gun I've crafted. Also it is engraved with an image of a colonist, who was purchased as a slave and who as far as I'm aware has never even fired a gun, bonding with a fox. ???

Oh well, it works pretty well. Although I imagine it would be even better with CR...
Booze is Life for Yoink

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: September 12, 2016, 05:19:18 am »

Thinking of getting Combat Realism, mainly just to make the most of the excellent-quality shotgun one of my crafters managed to make for the first-ever gun I've crafted. Also it is engraved with an image of a colonist, who was purchased as a slave and who as far as I'm aware has never even fired a gun, bonding with a fox. ???

Oh well, it works pretty well. Although I imagine it would be even better with CR...
I cannot imagine myself playing without CR anymore... Its that good, and shotgun? Give it to your hunter or low skilled guys and check the body count :D. I have a big ass excellent barrett with a nice infusion bonus reducing aim time... man this guy snipe the enemy from the other side of the map one shotting them as long they dont move because bullet travel time. Most of the time he doesnt have clear line of sight due to spots of mountains and trees.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #1747 on: September 12, 2016, 11:00:56 am »

In the process of constructing a castle (w/ cheats) to do some hardcore wave defense. It makes me wish there were truly flat maps--it would be an interesting and very difficult challenge.
No reason you can't start on the plains in a flat map, and during the landing pause, godmode the few hills that are present flat. Though then you have the issue of having no reasonable source of steel early on. Guess that would make for a very difficult challenge indeed.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: September 12, 2016, 12:15:14 pm »

The problem is... once you deconstruct the mountains they cave in infinitely. Very troublesome.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: September 12, 2016, 12:20:53 pm »

The problem is... once you deconstruct the mountains they cave in infinitely. Very troublesome.
Debug: Clear 21x21 or "Delete Roof"

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: September 12, 2016, 12:49:05 pm »

Noted. That could be very helpful.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: September 12, 2016, 01:01:31 pm »

Jeez, my colony's still pretty scrubtacular and I'm only playing on Phoebe Challenging, but earlier/last night we had a raid, four strong I think, with two of the pirates toting grenades. I was pretty worried, but fortunately these pirates were having a ball chucking their grenades at my livestock instead of the people or turrets taking potshots at them.

The only notable casualties were a few sections of power conduit (that cut off power to a turret, but the raid was mostly taken care of by then) and an ibex ram one of my colonists was bonded to. :( Other than that there was just a blown up bmuffalo and a couple of foxes with shrapnel wounds.

Now I have some grenades and we captured one of the pirates, too, and one of my smooth-talkers managed to eventually win her over to our side. She's a decent shot, but mostly I just plan on getting her to keep my newly-built pool hall clean. Those dirt penalties to room quality are a pain...

Of course I should probably craft her a shotgun at some point, but I'm all out of components. Need a shitload more of those so I can start making them myself. Suppose I'll have to trade for 'em. Ugh.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: September 13, 2016, 09:17:13 am »

Anyone else have trouble finding a difficulty they like in this game? (Mods could be the answer I guess).

I've been playing Extreme and can't quite get comfortable with any combinations of the Scenarios.

Phoebe is a little too laid back and gives you ample time to prepare for everything.

Cassandra ramps up in a way that I find makes the early game extremely punishing based on the randomness. The first real raid may show up as a tribal clan, pirates with sniper rifles and body armor, or a squad of melee dudes with personal shields. You can predict the flow of how things ramp which is nice, but the equipment of the raiders has a lot of wiggle room on top of them being guaranteed to come and to come with good #s. I think my last Cassandra Extreme I had a triple rocket launcher raider show up in the 2nd or 3rd real raid.

Randy so far seems the best for a nice difficult challenge, but I'm only on my first go with him and I know at any moment a whole bunch of bad things can happen at once. Still without the raid cycle being almost a sure thing (like Cassandra) I find there's more gaps where you can get stuff done or get good luck and expand your settler count.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: September 13, 2016, 04:07:08 pm »

The triple rocket launcher is probably the bane of my existence, only way to not have a colonist one shotted by it behind a wall is to carefully time running the fuck away when looking at their firing cooldown.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: September 13, 2016, 04:29:47 pm »

I'd settle for being 1 shot by it, the aforementioned encounter with it involved 3 settlers all being one shot by it (no they weren't standing next to each other, each rocket hit a different one). I had tried to time a shot from all 3 settlers to cripple the triple rocket wielding raider, but a pistol and hunting rifle are no match.
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 280