Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854337 times)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1710 on: September 06, 2016, 10:02:04 am »

How valuable is shooting skill early on, anyway?

Recently I've been using Prepare Carefully to build myself some colonists. This time I got a bit cheaty and built a space marine colonist with 20 in shooting and melee.

She proceeded to use that 20 shooting skill to utterly fail to kill a wolf from 15 feet away with a charge rifle. In fact, she - moreso than the wolf - is responsible for my drifter's recent cerebrectomy. And Cardiectomy. And several other -ectomies with very low survival rates.

How, precisely, is this trained space marine, a legendary gun user, a worse shot than myself, a guy who posts on online forums relating to magical girls, dwarven fortresses, and /b/?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: September 06, 2016, 09:47:28 pm »

Gun quality was normal, and ~95% if that matters. The wolf and my drifter (Haynes or something, just some naked chick who wandered out of the woods and was mostly useful for cooking and farming and sweeping up chicken shit) were about perpendicular; it was the wide shots that hit her, not because she was in the way. It was daylight and outside, and my space marine's only wound (then; since she's lost two fingers to pirates) was an old torso scar, nothing that should have buggered her manipulation.

Haynes and the Wolf were engaged in a melee, so I kinda understand if she misshot like, once, even twice. But she didn't so much miss the wolf as unload half her clip into her buddy and the other half into the wall. The wolf proceeded to bite her tits off.

Oh, and no combat realism mods No mods that add tits either, pervert, it's a saying. :P
Thou art I, I art Thou.
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: September 07, 2016, 02:21:25 am »

I had someone with 10 shooting spend an entire day firing at a immobile turkey, crash in bed, and then spend the entire next day firing at it too. Needless to say, I have absolutely no clue how accuracy works in this game.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: September 07, 2016, 02:55:20 am »

Ugh, Rimworld refuses to update and I have done it like 4 times by accident and drained my Internet allowance trying to play this...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: September 07, 2016, 06:34:49 am »

I had someone with 10 shooting spend an entire day firing at a immobile turkey, crash in bed, and then spend the entire next day firing at it too. Needless to say, I have absolutely no clue how accuracy works in this game.
Always draft hunters, move them extremely close to the immobile target, and undraft them so they actually have a chance to hit it.
Black lives matter.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: September 07, 2016, 10:58:09 am »

Always draft hunters, move them extremely close to the immobile target, and undraft them so they actually have a chance to hit it.

If you're going to draft hunters you might as well micro the whole thing!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: September 07, 2016, 11:13:18 am »

If you're going to draft hunters you might as well micro the whole thing!
I don't trust hunters anyway, they keep shooting each other and "hunting accident" becomes a weak excuse after you reload.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: September 07, 2016, 05:37:42 pm »

i prefer to have 3 or 5 colonists with shooting at 10-12 rather than 1 at 20 and the rest around 5, a good gang with a half chance of hitting something will do better in a 1-3 man team shooting animals or with long range rifles (sniper rifles are slow to shoot but highly accurate)

Charge rifle is a bit inaccurate.  But that is what it is.  There could be a bug with high level shooting perhaps that is in the latest alpha

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: September 08, 2016, 06:23:21 pm »

Well, thanks to skill rust she is now only a level 16 shooter, but i have 5 assholes with charge rifles now.

I don't know if they /actually/ do more damage, but it's sci-fi, I'm going to shoot laser beams goddammit. They're certainly better than the survival rifles that shoot once a month.
Thou art I, I art Thou.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: September 08, 2016, 07:39:37 pm »

There is a way to check the stats of a weapon/any item, via the I that shows when the item is selected while on the ground or on a rack.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: September 09, 2016, 12:27:22 am »

Is the damage type of charge rifles electricity instead of piercing? That could penetrate armor better than bullets at least.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: September 09, 2016, 04:45:07 am »

Right now I am very tempted to buy this.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: September 09, 2016, 06:38:14 am »

Right now I am very tempted to buy this.

I doubt you'll regret it. I was on the edge for a long time too, but when I bought it it was so much better then what I thought. The experience, for me atlas, won't last as long as you'll hope but I got at the very least 50 hours out of it. With mods and more determination, you can probably get so much more hours out of this.

With the constant updates, I do find myself playing this game again every once in a while.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: September 09, 2016, 08:28:01 am »

Well... I bought it. :D

I'm loving it so far. Still on my first colony. I chose the random storyteller, on low difficulty.
One of my colonists happened to have a psychite (is that basically cocaine?) addiction, so drug production quickly became a priority. Other than that, we've been a little bit hungry, but I just figured out how to get hunting happening, so my drug addict had a tasty meal of raw boar to stop her from starving and (hopefully) take her mind of her 73% withdrawals long enough for the psychoid plants to grow...

I have a feeling I'm going to get a lot of enjoyment out of this game!

Edit: Yay! Saved my crackhead starting colonist from dying of withdrawals (or whatever happens when the meter reaches 100%, I didn't want to risk it) from their addiction. Ordered the gardener to cut some psychoid plants early when her addiction was at 94%, the first two didn't yield anything but the third one did... 7 leaves, just enough. Took me a moment to work out what skill was involved in making drugs, but then I got the most relevant colonist to do so and the day was saved. DRUUUUGSSSS

Oh, a while earlier we also survived an attack from an angry elephant. It raged around the landscape for a while, trapping said crackhead counsellor colonist in her fancy house (I ordered everyone else inside, too, since I was expecting a whole herd of 'em). I was micro-managing everyone else's hunger and other needs, having them sneak out of the main hall to grab food whilst I kept an eye on the elephant, but when she started starving there was no way she could make it past the elephant to the food stores.
Eventually, luckily, the stupid thing fell asleep so I drafted her and the one other colonist with a gun and had them riddle the thing with bullets.
It worked, luckily enough, and no-one was harmed. Not even the pet monkey that decided that running up and clawing the elephant was a great way to help.

That solved the food shortage!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 09:36:59 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: September 09, 2016, 01:27:45 pm »

Well... I bought it. :D

I'm loving it so far. Still on my first colony. I chose the random storyteller, on low difficulty.
One of my colonists happened to have a psychite (is that basically cocaine?) addiction, so drug production quickly became a priority. Other than that, we've been a little bit hungry, but I just figured out how to get hunting happening, so my drug addict had a tasty meal of raw boar to stop her from starving and (hopefully) take her mind of her 73% withdrawals long enough for the psychoid plants to grow...

I have a feeling I'm going to get a lot of enjoyment out of this game!

Edit: Yay! Saved my crackhead starting colonist from dying of withdrawals (or whatever happens when the meter reaches 100%, I didn't want to risk it) from their addiction. Ordered the gardener to cut some psychoid plants early when her addiction was at 94%, the first two didn't yield anything but the third one did... 7 leaves, just enough. Took me a moment to work out what skill was involved in making drugs, but then I got the most relevant colonist to do so and the day was saved. DRUUUUGSSSS

Oh, a while earlier we also survived an attack from an angry elephant. It raged around the landscape for a while, trapping said crackhead counsellor colonist in her fancy house (I ordered everyone else inside, too, since I was expecting a whole herd of 'em). I was micro-managing everyone else's hunger and other needs, having them sneak out of the main hall to grab food whilst I kept an eye on the elephant, but when she started starving there was no way she could make it past the elephant to the food stores.
Eventually, luckily, the stupid thing fell asleep so I drafted her and the one other colonist with a gun and had them riddle the thing with bullets.
It worked, luckily enough, and no-one was harmed. Not even the pet monkey that decided that running up and clawing the elephant was a great way to help.

That solved the food shortage!
If you're having food shortages I feel bad for you bro
Cuz I plant my crops all in 3x12 rows!
Word.

But seriously, Crops grow pretty fast. The important thing is making sure that you plant enough of them; I find that having an area about 2-3x the size of a decent warehouse is fine - or in other terms, about 5 3x12 rows. Plant one of each food crop, one healroot, and if you have the space, put a 3x?? row of cotton horizontally underneath the other crops.

After your first harvest, unless hit by a blight or inopportune cold snap, you should have plenty of food. Just make sure your cook is working full-time to cook meals - then put the meals in the freezer and your colonists won't get negative thoughts. Crops only have to be refrigerated, however.

I usually freeze all my stockpiles, just in case. There's absolutely no downside to freezing all your stocks unless you're short on power.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 280