Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854377 times)

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1470 on: July 26, 2016, 08:56:26 pm »

What Girlinhat said, pretty much. My modding experience in this game (like most) is limited to the stuff that's immediately intuitive - in this case, looking at the def entries which aren't too different from Dwarf Fortress raws. Fiddling with existing building blocks, as it were, instead of designing and creating the mechanisms to construct entirely new ones.

Combat Realism, as I (very roughly) understand it, is actual code and well beyond my minimal expertise.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: July 26, 2016, 09:36:07 pm »

Ahwell. worth a shot.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Moriarty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: July 27, 2016, 12:43:36 am »

A little tip for new players to save medicine:

If a colonist is injured, check their 'Health' tab on his/her screen before they're treated to see what injuries they've received. If they only have bruises or fractures, you can save medicine by switching their treatment options to 'Doctor care but no medicine' to treat these minor injuries. Save the medkits for more serious injuries like cuts, gunshot wounds or infections. I even usually turn it off for asthma treatment and some diseases.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: July 27, 2016, 01:01:15 am »

If you have a skilled enough doctor, even cuts aren't always worth using medicine for.
Black lives matter.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: July 27, 2016, 04:00:09 am »

It would be nice if doctor skill was portrayed in the use of medicine. A shitty doctor would waste meds on minor conditions (prescribing antibiotic treatment uselessly etc), while a really good one would use less meds even when needed.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1475 on: July 27, 2016, 05:13:49 am »

If you have a skilled enough doctor, even cuts aren't always worth using medicine for.
I usually have my colonists set to use herbal medicine, which is easy to grow in abundance, and only switch them to higher tier meds if badly wounded

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: July 27, 2016, 03:10:41 pm »

Does anyone know how to fix a missing colonists bar?
As in, the large-ish bar at the top of the screen with an icon for each one of your guys. Mine disappeared at some point and I can't figure out how I can or if it's even possible to get it back.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: July 27, 2016, 03:12:17 pm »

It should be one of the options at the bottom right where the room value and stuff are.
Black lives matter.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: July 28, 2016, 05:20:30 pm »

yay! managed to get a colony psychologically stable in a random crash zone (-21c in winter, very little steel). four guys, one joined, survived many raids already and generic trolling already. stuff is built out of wood so fires are really a problem. one fire ate all the fields before getting controlled, but I got by hunting one of the megathings.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

also got a couple, they just married! hope it won't destabilize things, she's been in a relationship with everyone in the last three season since they crashed there

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: July 28, 2016, 06:40:00 pm »

I have a pet wolf that I keep in the corpse stockpile to help clean up after raids. He gets the corpses that aren't fresh enough for the prisoners to eat. This game is awesome.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: July 28, 2016, 08:13:51 pm »

Well, after some more playtime with this game, now I am impressed. It does a number of systems way better than DF (and I'm not talking about Interface and Graphics). Namely:

-the weather and the impact it causes on the environment and on the characters (in DF weather changes are almost instant instead of gradual, and apart from zero absolute -in Arena - you will rarely see a character with frostbite);
-the materials really matters, as doors and walls have different hit points depending on material and every construction can be destroyed (in DF there is little difference between a wooden and a steel door apart from its value, and constructions can't be destroyed) ;
-wildlife behaves very realistically -  every creature eats, predators prey on other animals, if they are hungry they can attack your characters (in DF only herbivores eat, there is no predation)

I'm not saying it is better than DF in any way, or more complex, but my point it that is has some systems that are more complex than similar systems in DF or are more fleshed out.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: July 28, 2016, 08:17:56 pm »

I am always astounded Hydroponics takes so much energy given that... well... in real life hydroponics takes approximately 0 electricity (sort of)

Though I am glad they took away the "Instant die in case of electricity failure" as that kind of made hydroponics near completely useless.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: July 28, 2016, 08:31:01 pm »

Wouldn't agree with the realistic portrayal of wildlife. At least in DF it runs when attacked. In this you can hunt down a deer and it's more likely to go manhunter than it is to leg it. At least in DF they'll go 'Oh SHIT! SOMETHING'S NEARBY!'

Sure, it is not perfect, but better in many ways. There are many that are way worse. There are very 'gamey'  systems. Some events are completely retarded. (Manhunter packs, I'm looking at you)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: July 28, 2016, 08:33:56 pm »

Wouldn't agree with the realistic portrayal of wildlife. At least in DF it runs when attacked. In this you can hunt down a deer and it's more likely to go manhunter than it is to leg it. At least in DF they'll go 'Oh SHIT! SOMETHING'S NEARBY!'
Yeah the animal behavior is either to walk around idly, presumably disguising itself as something that isn't being shot at or to yell Leeroy Jenkins and let slip the dogs of war. I think the actual need for animals to eat and sleep adds something to the game but it's definitely lacking.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: July 28, 2016, 10:02:32 pm »

Much of Rimworld's animal behavior is explained by psychic events.  That's what causes mad animals and manhunters, and probably causes packs of animals to wander in already tamed.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 280