Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854403 times)

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1440 on: July 25, 2016, 08:39:50 am »

Items stack pretty decently. Meals are 10x, medicine is either 10x or 25x (I don't remember), raw materials go higher than that. The single Z-level, limited needs, and small colony size (relative to DF) mean that unless you're on a really large map and constantly mining you won't need that much storage space, maybe just a 10x10 each for food, weapons, armor/clothes, and perhaps two of those for raw materials. It's less "pack away twenty years worth of stuff" and more having enough on hand to deal with two or three crises (and off-seasons for farming) plus day-to-day consumption.

But you can't mix stacks. So no "meat barrels" like DF with Lynx Meat (5) and Giant Cave Spider Meat (5) stored in the same square. And even something as basic as weapons... like, I can't make a weapons locker? I have to have guns and knives littered all over the floor?

It's the DF sock problem on steroids. It's not about stockpiling 20 years of resources; it's about wasting map space with giant rooms full of icons.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 08:44:00 am by ZeroGravitas »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1441 on: July 25, 2016, 08:58:59 am »

The nice thing is that all of this is exposed to modding for a sufficiently interested modder to change. There is a mod that adds in little baskets and pots that can store 3-4 stacks of items at a time, and requires colonists to go pick up a tool before they perform a labor. They'll go grab an axe before chopping down trees, and do it automatically

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: July 25, 2016, 08:59:22 am »

Get the auto-sell mod, so you don't sit with giant piles of useless tribal gear.  Every time a trader comes by, your designated colonist will go perform a trade.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: July 25, 2016, 09:00:21 am »

Get equipment racks. They don't stack weapons but they look nice and prevent your weapon quality from falling.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Noel.se

• Bay Watcher
  • Always lurking. Always watching.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: July 25, 2016, 09:02:08 am »

Items stack pretty decently. Meals are 10x, medicine is either 10x or 25x (I don't remember), raw materials go higher than that. The single Z-level, limited needs, and small colony size (relative to DF) mean that unless you're on a really large map and constantly mining you won't need that much storage space, maybe just a 10x10 each for food, weapons, armor/clothes, and perhaps two of those for raw materials. It's less "pack away twenty years worth of stuff" and more having enough on hand to deal with two or three crises (and off-seasons for farming) plus day-to-day consumption.

But you can't mix stacks. So no "meat barrels" like DF with Lynx Meat (5) and Giant Cave Spider Meat (5) stored in the same square. And even something as basic as weapons... like, I can't make a weapons locker? I have to have guns and knives littered all over the floor?

It's the DF sock problem on steroids. It's not about stockpiling 20 years of resources; it's about wasting map space with giant rooms full of icons.

On the other hand, you can re-stack items. In DF, if you have two stacks of two plump helmets you can't make one stack of four. In Rimworld, if you have, say, three stacks of five meals, haulers will create one stack of ten and another one of five. As a result barrels/bins aren't as necessary for food and materials.
Though I do wish there was a way to store tools more efficiently

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: July 25, 2016, 09:56:43 am »

The nice thing is that all of this is exposed to modding for a sufficiently interested modder to change. There is a mod that adds in little baskets and pots that can store 3-4 stacks of items at a time, and requires colonists to go pick up a tool before they perform a labor. They'll go grab an axe before chopping down trees, and do it automatically

Yeah, I've been looking for some of those, but a lot seem to be broken by the recent release of .14. Nice that they can modded in, though.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: July 25, 2016, 10:08:03 am »

On the other hand, you can re-stack items. In DF, if you have two stacks of two plump helmets you can't make one stack of four. In Rimworld, if you have, say, three stacks of five meals, haulers will create one stack of ten and another one of five. As a result barrels/bins aren't as necessary for food and materials.
Though I do wish there was a way to store tools more efficiently

I thought Toady had fixed that in the past year or two. Or maybe that was just with ammunition. I can't recall.

In any case, it just pisses me off that all food-storage areas are walk-in freezers. I can't put a refrigerator in the dining room or in a barracks.

Maybe it's easy enough to make a few of these things. I'll look into it.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1447 on: July 25, 2016, 10:21:17 am »

One mod DID add refrigerated hoppers, so it's not impossible.
I've seen mods with refrigerated meal storage spots and stuff too.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: July 25, 2016, 10:27:12 am »

some easening mods:

-5 instead of -15 for having a couple footprints on patios http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=731082462

less berserk http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=730597267

no berserk (I prefer to still have them, but it's an option) http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=729294240

edit: so I'm playing with the first two mods. as a house rule, I use random everything to compensate for the lowered difficulty, to make things a little more interesting.

I crash landed of a frozen wasteland, with zero trees and little life. Nothing would grow there, nor outside nor inside, so I had to put everyone in producing the meals out of the few hares and researching hydroponics. No long term survival prospect, without.

I was on the last meal when a visitor appeared. Even with the current rationing, I was very far from being close to hydroponics. So, well. You guess what happened next.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 02:09:57 pm by LoSboccacc »

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: July 25, 2016, 05:03:35 pm »

Just "finished" my first colony; having started on a fairly easy difficulty to figure how the game worked I wanted to give the story an end so I could start a new, harder colony.

All the colonists had survived the first couple of years until I got too cocky in one raid, sending my squad out to meet the attackers. They quickly overran my positions and the husband of my main constructor was downed during the retreat. Having lost a couple of their members to my guns however, the raiding party cut their losses and decided to kidnap him and run. My chasing gunmen couldn't bring the carrier down and they got away with him into the forest.
The colony lost it's shine for Marskinnen, his wife, after this incident so she began building a ship to take her far away while the others were happy staying. She sold their lovable, asthmatic muffalo for materials to build the ship and eventually it was ready; one cryptosleep casket, 50 bottles of beer and a wooden statue made by her celebrating the love she held for her (ex-)husband. After a small party she climbed into the casket and launched the ship seeking a new, less painful adventure.

This game certainly does make good stories.

That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: July 25, 2016, 06:08:16 pm »

Y'know, I really want Combat Realism, but I mostly just want it because it makes shotguns shoot a blast of pellets, and not just one big 'shotgun blast' attack like I'm fairly certain it does vanilla.

Maybe I should just figure out modding.  :x

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: July 25, 2016, 06:42:53 pm »

Y'know, I really want Combat Realism, but I mostly just want it because it makes shotguns shoot a blast of pellets, and not just one big 'shotgun blast' attack like I'm fairly certain it does vanilla.

Maybe I should just figure out modding.  :x
It's a spread attack in vanilla too.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: July 25, 2016, 08:10:31 pm »

Large damage to one body part.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: July 25, 2016, 10:57:19 pm »

Some of the stories in this game, man. Made a colony using Prepare Carefully, and made me and each of my friends. Somehow ended up with all of us as lovers with at least 1 other person, and some people had 2 or even 3. No marriages though.

Oh, speaking of modding, am I the only one that's tempted to add in people getting pregnant? Yes? Okay. I'll keep it to myself.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: July 25, 2016, 11:28:52 pm »

Thats probably being worked on, on and off, by the developer.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 280