Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854486 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1395 on: July 23, 2016, 04:25:24 am »

Heh. For my bedrooms (including prisons) I use a single bed in a 7x7 area with a light and some flower pots. Usually later I upgrade he flooring from wood to stone bricks for the beauty value. Happy prisoners are non-rebellious prisoners.

I also find that giving orders in batches tends to help. Like at the beginning I prefer doing one thing at a time. I make a basic barracks, then when I start getting idle colonists, I make a freezer, then after I get idles again, a warehouse, and so on and so forth. Though usually I also have a farmer doing the plots while everyone else handles the construction.
Aand in addition to that, I usually ration medicine pretty severely. I save anything above herbal medicine for actually potentially-lethal operations and handling the really bad injuries. In most cases I personally prefer either using mass-produced herbal medicine, or if it's before the first heal root crop, just no medicine at all.
But maybe this is an awful way of doing it. I'm not exactly a Rimworld pro.

Addional fun fact I just learned via the Rimworld sub reedit: Apparently you can put chairs at workbenches where the worker usually stands to let them sit and raise their comfort star while working.
AND apparently if you're the kind of person who keeps small raw food/resource stockpiles by your workbenches for higher efficiency, apparently items on stools can be instantly picked up by an adjacent guy.

So if you have a chef making a simple meal with an adjacent stockpile of potatoes, usually the chef has to go over to the stockpile and pick up the potatoes even though they're in an adjacent tile. But if the potatoes are on a stool, the chef instantly picks them up without moving.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: July 23, 2016, 05:32:30 am »

whoa the level of detail on these thing if real is impressive

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: July 23, 2016, 11:15:48 am »

The brigs I build are far less fancy and open than your guys. Mostly theya re shared things for about eight people, and have some things like stocks of clothing, chess for them to play, and that sorta thing.

That is, when I get arround to it. For te first year or so I normally just have a room covbered in sleeping spots for them.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: July 23, 2016, 11:26:15 am »

Yeah for prisons I tend to try and have a decently large room with a table and some sort of joy object in it.  Not having to eat on the floor/having something to actually do tends to make prisoners a lot more stable.

For the random breaks, you only get warnings about 'hard' breaks now.  So berserk/fire lighting/leaving the colony.

whoa the level of detail on these thing if real is impressive
Can confirm it's real, I get around most of the mental breaks by giving people chairs at their workstations and hiding 'ugly' objects like raw leather, stone boulders, mechanoid corpses in a different room/outside.

Really, a high quality chair will give such a high +comfort bonus that they will stand a lot of things before getting angry.
Nom nom nom

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: July 23, 2016, 11:37:22 am »

Just like dwarves! Your entire family died? Here, have this solid adamantine chair! No big deal now, right?
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: July 23, 2016, 12:44:11 pm »

I don't think I've even hit fall yet for this particular run, but it kinda feels like things are starting to go downhill.  It's too bad I didn't save the spawn for this location or whatever - it's a little low on metal, but otherwise it seems obscenely good.

I usually try to do communal prisons, but that's mostly because I try to put as little effort into them as possible.  There's always other, more vital crap I have to get my guys at, after all.

So what're the best ways of actually making silver and getting cool weapons and gear and such?  I would assume piling up a bunch of artists to make statues and stuff, but I never really seem to get to that point - everything seems to kinda kerplode before my guys are stable enough to get into trading and the like.  In the old alphas, I used to be able to accumulate cool stuff just by looting raiders, but hasn't seemed to work out like it used to ever since... like, the health update I guess.

frightlever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: July 23, 2016, 12:59:44 pm »

Listen, I'd love to give all my guys rooms and have a really fucking rad, tricked out rec room and dining room and a giant stocked-up fridge and everything.  But, it's real hard to get that shit done when they sleep on the floor with their buddies, wake up to see some rubble in their new cave, and immediately decide to remedy the pain of their existence by stripping naked and sprinting outside to grease a boomalope's forehead with their genitals or whatever the hell they do.

I laughed at that way harder than I should have. Still laughing.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: July 23, 2016, 01:14:05 pm »

I've got four colonists, and in the span of 2-3 months they're all lovers and have an almost +100 relationship with each other. wut.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: July 23, 2016, 01:23:56 pm »

Well, presumably there's no nice grave-sites of their friends to visit for that joy-bonus and no chess boards to play by themselves so all they have it talking to each other.... well talking and the other thing that happens when they become lovers.  That's actually a really nice joy boost, far better than staring at the grave of their long lost brother.
Nom nom nom

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: July 23, 2016, 01:32:11 pm »

The funniest part of this is that they're actually all psychopaths. Still not sure how that's happened so quickly, but oh well.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: July 23, 2016, 01:33:05 pm »

No, they're high-functioning psychopaths.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: July 23, 2016, 01:36:11 pm »

Yeah having people who are actually incapable of using the 'social' skill at all, and still being able to get married is one of the more amusing things about this game.
Nom nom nom

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: July 23, 2016, 01:44:35 pm »

Does the cleanliness of rooms effect the odds of diseases? It was already stated it effects the odds of infection. I might try a colony with all sterile tiles and a few colonist that have a higher priority on cleaning, just to see if its true or not.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: July 23, 2016, 01:52:10 pm »

Jimbo's Rimworld Protip of the day:

Remember to properly vent your power generator rooms; I accidentally created the sauna from hell by having a closed off steel building filled with generators that instantly caused any of my settlers who walked in to drop of Heatstroke and anyone attempting to rescue them also getting struck down by the heat.

Jimbo's freebie tip of the day:

Remember to encircle your turrets with sandbags for protection. 1 improvised gun turret with sandbags singlehandedly took down a 4 man raid by itself with minimum damage in my game and it was glorious.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: July 23, 2016, 01:55:05 pm »

Does the cleanliness of rooms effect the odds of diseases? It was already stated it effects the odds of infection. I might try a colony with all sterile tiles and a few colonist that have a higher priority on cleaning, just to see if its true or not.
It possibly may, but it might also be based on an event trigger.  Can't say for certain.  That said, (not sure if mods or base game) but some bug/animal bites seem to trigger certain diseases as well.  Could swear I've seen malaria caught from mosquitoes and plague from rats.
Nom nom nom
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 280