Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854551 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1380 on: July 22, 2016, 12:19:44 pm »

All the animals have lore. The explody ones where for manufacture of explosives, the wargs where once warmachines, the alphabeavers where for wood harvest/clearing, etc. The only one I can find that doesn't have lore(that I can find) is the thrumbo.

Actually, Im not sure about the megascarabs and the like. Course, I also dont play in areas where they exist(besides the bug hives for everyone!)

As for the update, what I like the most is being able to say "OK, screw those bugs, no hive events for me!"
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: July 22, 2016, 12:31:00 pm »

According to the wiki thrumbo are native and extremely long living creatures.

Likewise the insects are byproducts of a ancient race, pretty much sentinels that attack anything machine or living that serves as a threat (because they are mechanical), got any sources for the lore? I knew the few tidbits about the exploding animals but it just seem gamey and mundanely bizzare as i point out for them to be there

Like i mention before, greater scope of the game would probably rationalise things a little and put the lore into perspective rather than throwing in all these elements into a pot and seeing what sticks (pollution from a high tech explosives compound factory polluting and creating explosive animals, wargs coming in from pirate fleets and offworld/onworld research into genetically splicing dogs with natural on-world predators that feed off the local fauna etc)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: July 22, 2016, 12:36:27 pm »

Not on me. When you download the game it gives a link to msot of it, or its on a notepad or something similar. Actually, I think it may be packaged with the prototype pack. And who knows where the poor steam users can get at it, if anywhere.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Levity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: July 22, 2016, 03:59:42 pm »

Note to self: Don't ever risk a stray shot hitting a Grizzly Bear.

Colony downfalls in this game can be downright depressing. My beserking farmer/handylady proceeded to beat the living snot out of my quiet, psychopathic researcher who never did anything wrong. Then she proceeded to bust down the door to the prisoner's room, and murdered him in cold blood.

Cue a tribal raid and wave of infection. Good lord!

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: July 22, 2016, 05:19:12 pm »

A manhunter muffalos will batter down a door if too many colonists use one in front of it.
Black lives matter.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: July 22, 2016, 06:53:41 pm »

Sentry turrets. Sentry turrets, everywhere.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Levity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: July 22, 2016, 07:43:48 pm »

Lots of lessons to learn here, lots of trial and error!

It's fun! Does awaken a tendency in me to dream about the quirkiness of Dwarf Fortress, however, the two games are very different beasts.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: July 22, 2016, 08:21:11 pm »

Sci-fi colony game where everything can lead to death, and there is an "ending screen", although you can continue on, v.s. a Fantasy colony game where everything can lead to death, and there is an "ending screen", although you can continue on. What's the difference :P
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: July 22, 2016, 09:06:37 pm »

I feel like a bit of a outsider as i only have a curious interest in the game rather than experience and a copy of it to directly play it with, but does it strike you that the earth animals (and a fantasy warg with some reasoning of 'freaky science and possibly natural') are on this largely edge of the universe planet?
The primer says that there aren't any "true aliens," whatever that means. As I understand it, all the Earth critters and plants are due to previous terraforming efforts.

I certainly wouldn't say no to the addition of more alien fauna and flora, even if they're all handwaved away as past genetic engineering/experiments.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: July 22, 2016, 11:25:30 pm »

I just can't get into this game after playing with the realistic research modpack.

How mildly irritating.

The sad part is the creator hasn't been on for over a month, so no updates have gotten into the latest alpha version.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: July 23, 2016, 02:31:54 am »

Gaah.
This time it's not just a sudden forced doom, but just plain annoying things from Cassandra.
I started this game with 3 colonists, 2 of which could haul. I then proceed to get 3 colonists with extremely awful skills - mostly just a couple points and a 1-flame passion in art. Oh, and they also can't haul.
So here I have a 7 person colony with only 3 useful people and 2 people who can haul things.

I mean, Rimworld's a really fun game, just sometimes it's frustrating.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1391 on: July 23, 2016, 02:43:51 am »

So kill off the useless people and get new ones. I usually wrong even bother capturing people unless they are someone I want

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: July 23, 2016, 03:05:27 am »

So kill off the useless people and get new ones. I usually wrong even bother capturing people unless they are someone I want

yeah especially since many threat are scaled on how many people you have (and turrets) it's important to keep a low count of high skilled people.

except with Randy (which is why I play mostly Randy or more rarely Phoebe but never Cassandra)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: July 23, 2016, 03:07:24 am »

yeah especially since many threat are scaled on how many people you have (and turrets) it's important to keep a low count of high skilled people.

except with Randy (which is why I play mostly Randy or more rarely Phoebe but never Cassandra)

It is one of the reasons why no matter how good I am, I will probably never EVER play with Ironman mode on.

The game just isn't THAT well balanced and I am not willing to exploit the ever loving brains out of the game.

Not that it is required... but I dunno I just don't like gambling.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 03:14:44 am by Neonivek »

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: July 23, 2016, 03:49:18 am »

I cheated like a HUGE BITCH and used the shiny new scenario generator to start with 6 guys instead of 3, and then proceeded to roll a U-shaped mountain with a giant patch of rich soil in the opening... and yet, my orders are still bogged down and backlogged, everything is slowly going to shit on account of:

1)  Random disease nailing half of my fortress and burning through all my medicine
2)  The prisoners bleeding, and then berserking because there's blood everywhere, and then bleeding even more blood to go berserk about.  Like, my warden fucking snapped in there and just got naked while he was wardening, because apparently it was an abbatoir.  The inmates proceeded to steal his clothes, of course.

Speaking of snapping, do people just like, do it randomly now or something?  Loads of my guys just have mental breaks, but I never really get mood warnings before it happens, and it's always over something stupid or somesuch.  "Bluh bluh I'm sharing a bedroom, I think I'll inhale literally everything in the freezer".  "Bluh bluh these gut worms hurt, I'm going to go be sad in my bedroom in the middle of battle, even though I used to be a Commissar and am ostensibly the colony's 'top' soldier."

I mean, it's good enough that I don't regret backing it or anything, really, but the mood is super fucky and gets in the way of fucking everything.  Listen, I'd love to give all my guys rooms and have a really fucking rad, tricked out rec room and dining room and a giant stocked-up fridge and everything.  But, it's real hard to get that shit done when they sleep on the floor with their buddies, wake up to see some rubble in their new cave, and immediately decide to remedy the pain of their existence by stripping naked and sprinting outside to grease a boomalope's forehead with their genitals or whatever the hell they do.

So anyway one of the least awful people in my latest colony is this millenium-old woman named Kallista.  Sadly, she is apparently so ugly literally everyone else hates her WWWWAY more than like, fuckin' raiders and shit.  The MOST competent person in the colony is this Jung wanderer, who is a chef and inexplicably a better doctor than the like, two ACTUAL doctors.  He's also been super emotionally stable.  Mostly.  Good dude.

After the spiral of violence and blood in the prison (it's 5x5, with a light and smoothed floors!  It's totally cushy as fuck!  Maybe not for 3 people, but...) I tried to release a buncha guys, but the Warden was too busy being a fuck, and the one guy I DID manage to release promptly collapsed in my rice field.  Incidentally, they seem to not want to eat the food I leave them, which is pretty annoying.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 03:56:00 am by Farce »
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 280