Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854548 times)

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1365 on: July 22, 2016, 02:34:11 am »

Neonivek never likes anything.

My only problem with the game currently is that the end game is sort of loose. After you get the basics rolling, there comes a point where you just stop playing. Yeah, you can build a spaceship, but... that part of the game just isn't fun anymore. I have the same problem with DF, tho, so maybe it is just me.

I still hope RW gets more end game content with time, including diplomacy stuff and different events.
Yeah no seriously I don't think I've ever seen him praise or be positive about anything. Also, yes, very, I hope it gets moooaaaar content.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: July 22, 2016, 03:05:00 am »

I feel your pain, Chiefwaffles.

Immediately after a colonist dying of infection and being presented a slate mausoleum, I am faced with berserk rats. Because my colonists are the smartest people on the planet, they go out to tame an animal in the middle of the rats. They proceed to get downed, but thankfully close to home.
All four colonists are then filled with rat-based holes from the ordeal and start an amazing spiral of bleeding everywhere, tending to bleeding people while bleeding themselves, snapping from the blood-filled bedrooms, getting downed, and having the (still-bleeding) person they were attempting to murder five minutes ago treat them, ad infinum.
That is, until two people in bed also die from infection (I haven't had medicine for days) while the other two were lying on the ground. Lucy, my dearly departed paramedic, why do you punish me so?
Black lives matter.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: July 22, 2016, 03:08:42 am »

I think the endgame stuff is just a problem with the genre. In both DF and Prison Architect I've had the same thing happen - I reach a point where I'm moderately successful and have things running smoothly. Then I don't really feel motivated enough to od much else. Like, sure, I could make a huge megaproject or just expand everything, but where's the fun in that?

I haven't had that problem in Rimworld yet thanks to the storytellers keeping me from actually ever getting to that point, but I assume it'll happen at some point. And to FantasticDorf: It was actually Cassandra on Rough. I did manage to get through that 'event', but it just set off a slow spiral of destruction. Ended up abandoning that save instead of trying to hopelessly fix everything.

I personally think there's 3 kind of spirals: The classic one, where a single event just sets off a chain of subsequent ones that quickly get worse and worse, spiraling to your destruction. Then there's the slow one. an event that essentially ruins your stride and disrupts everything, and while that particular happening may be survived, the consequences of doing so eventually lead to your destruction.
Then there's the dumb death spirals.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: July 22, 2016, 07:20:19 am »

The dumb ones are just annoying. Random bug hive in the kitchen time! Random bug hives everywhere! You get a random bug hive, and you get a random bug hive, and you get a random bug hive!
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: July 22, 2016, 07:25:43 am »

The dumb ones are just annoying. Random bug hive in the kitchen time! Random bug hives everywhere! You get a random bug hive, and you get a random bug hive, and you get a random bug hive!

Sorry couldn't resist, please continue.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: July 22, 2016, 07:38:11 am »

So I got the game...I had moderate fun for a while but I'm not impressed. There aren't that many features and they are usually very shallow. If not for mods I would regret my purchase as the game is very pricey for what it delivers currently.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: July 22, 2016, 08:18:28 am »

Ancient ship crash in the middle of the colony? Easy.
Killer insect infestation in the mines? No sweat.
Twenty man raid equipped with charge rifles and personal shields? Ain't no thing.

4-5 rhinoceri with attitude problems? EVERYONE DIES.

And this colony was shaping up to become so successful too.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Lucidvizion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: July 22, 2016, 09:27:35 am »

This game is so fun.  My last colony didn't even make it further than 1 potato harvest. 

The final straw was a 130F heat wave during an eclipse with solar flares.  All during a rainy thunderstorm.  My fat pyromaniac woman got mad about being hungry and started lighting fires.  This led to my main colonist to dying from burns and heat stroke, leading to my main colonist's pet warg into a berserk mental break, killing the fat pyromaniac.  The other 2 colonists slowly died in their beds from heat stroke, unable to even get an air conditioner running due to the apocalyptic conditions.

What mods are out there that add a lot of reasearch/production chain depth to the game?

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: July 22, 2016, 09:29:16 am »

I didn't expect four rats to be able to do any legitimate damage to them.
Black lives matter.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: July 22, 2016, 10:27:56 am »

I didn't expect four rats to be able to do any legitimate damage to them.
Yeah, it's kinda silly how a rat or a goddamn bunny can leave someone bleeding out and bedridden as long as a bear.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: July 22, 2016, 10:30:18 am »

It wouldn't even have been so bad if rats didn't cause infections like nobody's business..
Black lives matter.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: July 22, 2016, 10:53:02 am »

It wouldn't even have been so bad if rats didn't cause infections like nobody's business..
Well, that's fairly realistic. But goddamn rabbits? I think I'm naming my next community Caerbannog...

On that note, I've been tinkering with a medieval scenario, though I'll need to figure out some modding stuff to make it a proper community type, and I'm finding castling up pretty great for defense. A 2-wide wall, even just marble, distracts the raiders while one-two trickle into the killing floor.

I plan to have a 1-wide empty tile between the wall layers and put a shitload of traps inside though, so if they breach it, they're gonna have a bad time. Time will tell if it's viable.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1377 on: July 22, 2016, 11:34:18 am »

as far as I know, rats are no more likely than any other animal to cause infection. Infections result from wounded people resting in rooms that are dirty.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: July 22, 2016, 11:39:34 am »

If you go with the traps, remember to provide access points so they can be reset.

If you do that in a trap maze you can even use those access points for shooting at them as they approach.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: July 22, 2016, 12:03:23 pm »

I feel like a bit of a outsider as i only have a curious interest in the game rather than experience and a copy of it to directly play it with, but does it strike you that the earth animals (and a fantasy warg with some reasoning of 'freaky science and possibly natural') are on this largely edge of the universe planet?

From what i have read they are just there in the enviroment mixing in with everything else. Also explicitly exploding animals for some reason (event creation and !!FUN!!), at-least the robo-bugs have lore. There are other factions on the planet but if you crash landed on a planet few people have even heard of (a true rim world on the frontier in the way i interpret it anyway) the animals seem to be filler for creative imagination (also a megatherium which is a bit of a WTF without the 'wave it away' reasoning of 'science')

If it was a bit more like DF in terms of 'world activation' (with some events happening on a global scale) with the gradual introduction of earth native creatures (like rats as a VERY good example, coming in with supplies and becoming world wide problem) and terrestrial plants like trees for wood and invasive weeds & plant diseases (think extreme ash-dieback) as a consequence of your colony buying creatures, dying horribly/releasing them into the wild/them getting stolen or animals running away for whatever reason it'd generally be more plausible. Its just a gripe i have with the game as i am seeing it at the moment, id much prefer to opt to mod out all the earth animals from wild populations entirely and replace them with something else intermediary if i was to make a purchase.

Buying a genetically modified megatherium as expensive and deadly hunting game (tourist pull? reminds me of the pc game 'carnivores') from a off-world faction (whats this malarkey the dev is talking about with dyson spheres granting unparalleled research and aliens when he rules out extremely outlandish pirate lord/captain names from his creative rewards?) id be all for, finding one's derpy yet innately murderous face out in the middle of nowhere for no reason is another matter.

If anybody would like to correct me in-case im missing out on key reasoning/lore it'd be very welcome. Now all it needs is some mod so people can punch space elves/hippies in the face and then force them to cut trees until they suffer a stress related meltdown for entertainment.
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 280