Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854556 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1350 on: July 20, 2016, 09:40:34 pm »

The popcorn is still popping. Try again when it's done. As in when it's out of early access

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: July 20, 2016, 09:50:49 pm »

It's fairly high-quality if you ask me. What specifically do you not like about it?

Damn English language.

There is actually very little I don't like about the game (I mean, I wish people were smarter about holding fire), it isn't about there being a flaw.

Then again a friend told me Prison Architect sells for the same price (which I did get on sale or when I was depressed, I forget which). Which I guess should settle things. Given that Prison Architect pretends it is a good game... and RimWorld IS a good game.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: July 20, 2016, 09:57:09 pm »

Even when it's out of early access, that doesn't mean they're done developing it, and there's always an almost endless supply of mods anyway.

Oh, and don't worry about it if you get confused with English; I've been speaking it all my life and I still get confused.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: July 21, 2016, 01:50:21 am »

Neonivek never likes anything.

My only problem with the game currently is that the end game is sort of loose. After you get the basics rolling, there comes a point where you just stop playing. Yeah, you can build a spaceship, but... that part of the game just isn't fun anymore. I have the same problem with DF, tho, so maybe it is just me.

I still hope RW gets more end game content with time, including diplomacy stuff and different events.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: July 21, 2016, 03:27:06 am »

The popcorn is still popping. Try again when it's done. As in when it's out of early access

I did that with kenji or whatever its called. The game where you run around in the desert and punch people or build trade outposts. Oh and Starforge. And TWS.

They never popped and now its stale shite.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: July 21, 2016, 03:30:39 am »

kenshi - so much primise :(

but hey rimworld I followed since the beginning and to me it was enjoyable since the 'firstest' alphas, especially thanks to mod.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: July 21, 2016, 04:35:07 am »

My personal philosophy when looking at early access games is to judge them based on how they are at the moment, not based on their potential. Works out for me. I just get games if they appeal to me and look fun to play, regardless of what may happen to them in the future.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: July 21, 2016, 08:09:32 am »

My personal philosophy when looking at early access games is to judge them based on how they are at the moment, not based on their potential. Works out for me. I just get games if they appeal to me and look fun to play, regardless of what may happen to them in the future.

yeah since I got burned from one ks I put 'having a demo which is fun to play' as bar as well

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: July 21, 2016, 08:52:11 am »

That only doesn't work when people then start hacking features that already exist outta the game (DAMN YOU STARBOUND)

That said, as someone who got into rimworld pretty much the second it went up on the first alpha, yeah it's always been enjoyable.

As for end game content, you kinda want to look at getting mods that add end game content like say glittertech.  As it is, even a massive army of base game raiders/mechanoids are super easy to kill but the commandos that glittertech for example adds stay difficult all along.
Nom nom nom

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: July 21, 2016, 01:32:43 pm »

Neonivek never likes anything.

Dang me and liking Rimworld!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: July 21, 2016, 03:15:03 pm »

I think I am addicted to robots in Rimworld

I just don't feel like my game is complete unless I mod in robots somehow.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1361 on: July 21, 2016, 03:35:14 pm »

I think I am addicted to robots in Rimworld

I just don't feel like my game is complete unless I mod in robots somehow.
I have little robots running around my castle right now. Love the guys.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: July 21, 2016, 04:36:12 pm »

My new colony is already shaping up to be a disaster. My social-fu/doctor/researcher and only good shooter are lovers and happy as clams. My main builder/miner/crafter keeps hitting on the doctor and she keeps rejecting him, so he's constantly pissed off with a stack full of rejection mood modifiers. My first new joiner was a massive blob dude who wandered in stark naked, guy's got nothing worthwhile in his passions or skills except for mining. My second was an Alzheimer's-afflicted octogenarian pirate that the markswoman shot up and dragged back, and she's sadly the most stable person in the colony (thanks to a good set of traits) other than the lovey-dovey pair, but is old, crippled, and not always there mentally.

More time is spent cloudwatching than actually working and everyone is living off of raw meat and potatoes because the pissy Nice GuyTM isn't digging out the freezer or cooking areas, the new miner has no passion and only mediocre skill, and the shooter is too busy killing off beavers and pirates to help.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: July 21, 2016, 11:46:53 pm »

Wow. Rimworld is really starting to piss me off.

So I have 5 colonists and am just starting to harvest the now fully grown potatoes and herbal medicine. After I get something like 50 potatoes in my freezer, the game decides "you know what would SPICE THIS UP? HAVING ALL BUT ONE OF YOUR COLONISTS BE SICK!"

So the game gave 4 of my 5 colonists the flu. Leaving only my construction/social guy standing. He had to treat everyone while still staying alive himself , and harvest the crop. Eventually all the crops (the ones that I've been relying on to not die) start deteriorating and disappearing due to not being harvested thanks to my sleep-deprived worker unable to get anything done with his Grow and Medicine skills both at 1.
Theen my patients start going berserk and decide to hurt each other some more so they can get some more free hospital time.

I mean, usually Rimworld follows the Losing Is Fun attitude, but this is just straight-up unfun to me. Just hitting me with some sudden and unprovoked "lol u lose" scenario out of nowhere.

EDIT:
Fucking wow. Right when I think "okay, maybe I can get out of this alive with 2-3 survivors", I get a raid that no one's conscious enough to deal with.

EDIT2:
Okay because I am a filthy savescummer, I think this may work out. Turns out that the flu isn't actually that severe in terms of debuffs. In most of, if not all, the stages, the patients can still get up and do stuff. So with some micromanaging I can still get some stuff done.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 01:00:26 am by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: July 22, 2016, 02:31:09 am »

That's what you get when you play with the 'Randy' AI storyteller, its random from what i read like that, but yeah those circumstances sound really extreme. Cassandra would probably just start off 1 survivor being intensely sick and then ramping that up to it spreading if patient zero isn't cured within a reasonable time-frame.

Either-way having a doctor in house should have been the course of action = doctor heals self, and as quickly as can be prioritizes to healing the crew before they can expire.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 280