Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854563 times)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1335 on: July 20, 2016, 06:46:12 am »

My experience has been the opposite - other than two wanderers joining, much harder to recruit people. I have a dude in my prison I've been trying to recruit for two seasons with no luck.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: July 20, 2016, 07:00:46 am »

Yeah I'm sitting at 26 people now, and i think it's mostly due to my 15+ social skill bionic angle who's name is Seraph (never changed his name i swear.)

That said, I'm considering stealing organs for money now (if trade ships ever showed up) but I am also considering making a sword+personal shield swarm unit. heheh
Nom nom nom

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: July 20, 2016, 09:03:13 am »

Oh, what kind of angle was he? 45, 200?
...360?
Black lives matter.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: July 20, 2016, 09:09:13 am »

No, no, I think he just means that the colonist hails from the Angle tribe, you know, the first half of Anglo-Saxon.
Nothing important here, move along.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: July 20, 2016, 09:12:50 am »

I... there's at least three things wrong with that sentence but I'll be damned if I know any.
Black lives matter.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: July 20, 2016, 09:52:33 am »

While I don't regret the kickstart or anything, I can't help but be somewhat unstatisfied with Rimworld, its lacks the crazy detail of df -but also the madness and escalation the former often creates.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: July 20, 2016, 10:04:28 am »

I... there's at least three things wrong with that sentence but I'll be damned if I know any.
1. "Angle" != "Anglo"
2. The comma after "no" should (IMO) have been either a period or a semicolon
3. The comma after "tribe" should have been an em-dash (—)

Elephant Parade is not responsible for any marks lost by following this possibly-questionable grammar advice.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: July 20, 2016, 10:10:16 am »

Let me tell you the ballad of Dave Bunny, the tale of Seagraves and its descent into madness: the proud colony destroyed not by monsters, not by AIs turning the zone into a hellish wasteland, not by rampaging elephants and rhinos, but by its occupants themselves. Its RNG name's suspicious similarity to Boatmurdered was kinda obvious in retrospect.

A rich glitterworlder geologist, Bunny made planetfall in a scorching southern seaside shrubland, surrounded by mesas and buttes of what would become the Seagraves region. Not the one to sit on his butte, he quickly set up power, captured a raider, was joined by some wanderers, including the priceless only person half-competent at shooting people aside from a gajillion turrets - Gaby, etc. etc, at the end totalling nine settlers.

The hillside in which the base was set up was stupidly rich in Plasteel. After a hilarious moment when I accepted the membership of Levi, Gaby's dad and a medic fleeing from pirates, which resulted in two separate groups of raiders attacking at the same time and fighting each other and the turrets, the north side of the base, freshly expanded into, wound up being patched up after being exploded open with the redonkulous amount of plasteel available.

Spoiler: pic enclosed (click to show/hide)

That included the first, luxurious individual room (in the pic next to the wood-walled bunk), also housing the comms, since Gaby's depressive tendencies coupled with the disturbed sleep and shared bedroom maluses were keeping her teethering at the edge of sanity a long, long time, with several mental breaks. Oh the foreshadowing...

One day, a bad happened. A big bad. The then only partially plasteeled bedroom got infested by not one, but two hives. If the threat had come from the outside, it wouldn't have been an issue. The turrets made short work of any external threats. But on the inside, there was only one turret placed in a niche in the corridor. Gaby with her charge rifle lured out some of the megaspiders to get shot by it, and in a panicked rush, a plasteel door was built behind the wooden one that cut off that corridor originally.

She got cut up a bit, but fortunately EVERY SINGLE COLONIST had medical experience, less or more, and in the meantime, Chris the second Geologist (out of fucking four) who was pretty good at melee gave it his shot, with mostly comparable or worse results. Meanwhile, a toxin ship has crashed on the planet.

Growingly desperate, the colony resorted to ALOHA SNACKBAR tactics, sending in colonists with grenades looted from the raiders, tossing a couple at the - now three - hives then running the fuck away, and despite the deaths of two and Gaby's loss of leg, the hives were destroyed.

Things promptly went really wrong. Levi (Gaby's father, if you recall), spectacularly botched the operation, killing her instantly. Soon, the entire colony was bedridden with their wounds, either from the heroic dash at the hives, the odd berserk rage, or in one particularly stupid case, making an ill-conceived supply run and getting shot by a scyther.

It soon became apparent that Levi couldn't cope with the grief and the guilt. Over the next couple of days, he would repeatedly go berserk, and with the efforts to bring him down, soon the amount of colonists whittled down even further, and the madness spread. To make things worse, between the bedridden colonists, the death of the dedicated chef, and the ship-poisoned earth, supplies began to run low, and the colonists eventually resorted to feeding each other the corpses of their own fallen friends. Croc the former raider used cargo-pod dropped supplies to shell the poison ship, but it soon proved too inaccurate, and he died of his wounds.

Finally, the three survivors, Bunny, Levi and the pacifist geologist Teddy, raging at each other, made one last mad charge. Bunny went in first alone, trying to shoot the ship with the charge rifle, but he got 1HK'd by the sole scyther not incapacitated by the shelling. Levi tried to make a grenade run, but he was wailed on by Teddy. As Teddy calmed down before Levi recuperated, he tried to goad the scyther to shoot the ship, but got killed too. And before Levi, the man who brought it all crashing down, could throw the bomblet, he got his leg shot off.

There he layed, slowly starving to death on the blighted wasteland, watching as in the distance the colony's steam generator caused a rapidly spreading fire, as passing raiders and friendlies failed to rescue him, watching Seagraves tumble down, until finally the starvation got better of him, and he finally found his peace from his daughter's death by his own hand.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 10:12:59 am by scrdest »
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: July 20, 2016, 10:17:29 am »

1. "Angle" != "Anglo"
2. The comma after "no" should (IMO) have been either a period or a semicolon
3. The comma after "tribe" should have been an em-dash (—)

Elephant Parade is not responsible for any marks lost by following this possibly-questionable grammar advice.

The "Angles" were, in their time, generally referred to as the Angli, and came together with the Saxones to form the Angli Saxones. The term Angli Saxones was later Anglicized to Anglo-Saxon, and by extension, the Angli were Anglicized to Angles.

And if I have to write another word with 'angl' in it, I might go a little mad.

As for the grammar, yes, the way you suggested would probably be more proper. However, the way I wrote it is proper enough for an informal setting such as this thread.
Nothing important here, move along.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: July 20, 2016, 10:27:23 am »

The "Angles" were, in their time, generally referred to as the Angli, and came together with the Saxones to form the Angli Saxones. The term Angli Saxones was later Anglicized to Anglo-Saxon, and by extension, the Angli were Anglicized to Angles.

And if I have to write another word with 'angl' in it, I might go a little mad.
Angl. :P
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: July 20, 2016, 07:33:27 pm »

-snip-

Oh, you finally met the more-rare-but-still-fairly-common Rimworld-equivalent of a Tantrum Spiral I see. The most memorable one I've had was this: I have a mountain base, and the only way out is through my death-box. 50 turrets, all strategically placed to guarantee that anything hostile walking through that door was not leaving alive. Occasionally a few were simply knocked out, but those were harvested for still-working organs and fed to the resident cannibal. Well, the power went out. Meaning I have to do the same thing with colonists. Not a big deal, just set up some sand bags, it'll all be fine. I didn't realize my cook was also a melee character. Needless to say, the cook died in one of many 50+ man tribal raids, due to being overwhelmed (it was still an earlier alpha where enemies could stack up). That was my only cook. As you can imagine, everyone else soon either became rather unhappy and attacked people or ended up with food poisoning. The only person that was totally happy was the cannibal, since they were also a psychopath. That is, until a siege, a group of tribals, and some robots all showed up at once, right after a raider attack. We were quickly overwhelmed, leaving my cannibal to run away and try to survive in a safe room I had set up earlier. Without any human meat. Which is a problem, since this guy's a cannibal. So, of course, I have to send him back out if he wants food, but there's dangerous stuff out there, and no safe way to get rid of it. In a last-ditch effort to save this colony, I have him equip the full set of Legendary Power Armor I had traded for, just in case something like this happened. I figured, between that and the Masterwork Minigun he's got, there's no way he can die. Then he walks right through the group of mechanoids and is promptly dismembered. Good times.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: July 20, 2016, 09:36:34 pm »

*sigh*

This game is pricey...

But fun wise and perhaps content wise it is worth the price.

But Quality wise it isn't...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1347 on: July 20, 2016, 09:37:42 pm »

*sigh*

This game is pricey...

what? What quality issues do you have with it?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: July 20, 2016, 09:38:33 pm »

*sigh*

This game is pricey...

It is like really delicious popcorn.

Amazing! Definitely worth the price... But it iiiiis just popcorn.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: July 20, 2016, 09:40:15 pm »

*sigh*

This game is pricey...

It is like really delicious popcorn.

Amazing! Definitely worth the price... But it iiiiis just popcorn.

It's fairly high-quality if you ask me. What specifically do you not like about it?
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 280