Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854657 times)

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1290 on: July 17, 2016, 03:32:15 pm »

I did a playthrough where I got new colonists unless a wanderer joined, and instead took people prisoner to dismember them and then either sell their organs or replace any damaged organs my colonists. I ended up with over 50,000 silver by the time I built a rocket and left.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: July 17, 2016, 04:59:08 pm »

Well, thats a tad disappointing, though I can see why they did it. Hopefully they will put that stuff back in. Otherwise, playing mods that make the combat more dangerous are probally going to be nigh-unplayable with it. Particularly if you also include things that slow down research.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: July 17, 2016, 07:49:47 pm »

Obviously, individual players choose to be a black market organ harvester... and they are profiting massively off of it.  That makes the game too easy and that just ain't right.  So its now a bug/exploit.  It's been fixed.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: July 17, 2016, 07:56:25 pm »

It'll be modded back in at some point anyway, so there is no point to get rid of it.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: July 17, 2016, 08:02:53 pm »

Easier fix would just to make them untradeable...because they are really useful

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: July 17, 2016, 10:44:42 pm »

A space refugee crashed down in a pod. I chose rescue instead of capture and fixed them back up.   Forgetting that I was supposed to capture them instead.  When they started walking away I decided to try to arrest them (beating them again within an inch of their life) and making them a prisoner.  Fixed them up (again) and tried to recruit them.  It became very apparent within a few weeks that recruitment was not gunna happen with my crappy warden, so I let them go.

A season later they crashed back into my fortress in another escape pod.  They got fixed up yet again (free doctorin xp) and immediately joined on the first attempt by the warden.   Something tells me they did not do as well on their own as they anticipated.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: July 17, 2016, 10:51:48 pm »

A space refugee crashed down in a pod. I chose rescue instead of capture and fixed them back up.   Forgetting that I was supposed to capture them instead.  When they started walking away I decided to try to arrest them (beating them again within an inch of their life) and making them a prisoner.  Fixed them up (again) and tried to recruit them.  It became very apparent within a few weeks that recruitment was not gunna happen with my crappy warden, so I let them go.

A season later they crashed back into my fortress in another escape pod.  They got fixed up yet again (free doctorin xp) and immediately joined on the first attempt by the warden. Something tells me they did not do as well on their own as they anticipated.
Yet they somehow got to space.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: July 17, 2016, 10:56:52 pm »

I stripped them before they left the first time too, and they were still naked on their second crash landing.  So not only did they somehow manage to get back to space (or more likely a sub orbital flight) they did it without clothes on.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: July 17, 2016, 11:07:20 pm »

Pirates launched an ill-fated raid against my fortress, the one survivor of their valiant but suicidal blitz is their leader a Mr. William Salt. He was dragged bleeding to a 2x2 cell and he had a deep, heart to heart conversation with one of my snipers as she stripped him of his personal effects. Looking through his bio his absentee father forced him into a position of responsibility and he never had a childhood. He surveyed asteroids for a corporation he found an ancient artifact and ran off on a whirlwind adventure that ended with him gutshot and all of his friends dead. He's just 22. With an infected gunshot wound to the liver I'm not sure if he'll make it. The image of a fearsome pirate being hand fed by his captors while he slowly dies in a medical bed is wonderfully sad. If he takes a turn for the worse I'll have him lined up on one of the many free standing walls and shot by the entire militia. A pirate's entitled to the dignity of being executed.

Edit: Just to highlight the sociopath that is me, while I was making these observations I was setting up my brand new ice cells where I'll be seeing what temperature maximizes frigid torment while not allowing for the sweet release of death.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 11:10:36 pm by Broseph Stalin »

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: July 18, 2016, 06:23:46 am »

Oh you can do all sorts of twisted stuff in Rimworld. Try feeding your prisoners the remains of their fallen comrades, while keeping the rooms they live in at a nice 99 degrees Fahrenheit at all times. Or keep them just below freezing. Or trap them all in 3-tile rooms; just enough space for a bed, the prisoner, and a warden. Also very compact.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: July 18, 2016, 06:43:54 am »

Hey where I'm from there is a description for all those options - the good life.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: July 18, 2016, 10:33:06 am »

I'm new to rimworld and I've got some questions and am also looking for some tips.

I'm not too sure how to go about living accommodations yet, what kind/size of bedrooms do you use? From what I can tell, the malus from being in a communal room remains for some time while one from having a cramped room is gone as soon as they leave the room and I read that their morale is unaffected while they sleep.

How do you do the organ transplant stuff? Is there a way to preserve them? I know things don't rot below freezing temperature, but I'm guessing that's not good for organ viability.

I know the colonists can build up an immunity to the same morale bonus, but can they build an immunity to bad ones? Is there a way to make them care less about certain horrible things, like butchering raiders?(I've got a valuable cannibal I like to keep happy) Alternatively, is there a way to turn everyone into psychopaths or cannibals?

I've noticed that animals that die outside of the home area end up forbidden, but in the interest of not wasting/losing animals(I'm worried they'll run out) to predators, I'm looking for a way to easily get those corpses. I know i could make the home area cover the whole map, but then the colonists would try to clean the whole place. Failing that, is there a way to easily locate corpses or notice when an animal has been killed? I play on large maps and scrolling everywhere to see if anything has died recently takes a while.

What affects a prisoner's chance to be recruited aside from the social skill of the warden? Does their mood affect the likelihood of them accepting? Should I have them in a fancy room?

Aside from having more bodies to throw at enemies, is there any advantage to having a high population? Seems that once basic jobs are covered anyone else is just a resource drain and takes up space with extra bedrooms.

Is animal breeding a decent way to get meat/leather or does it take too long? I know different animals take different amounts of time to mature, what are some animals with a good growth time to resource ratio?

Even with what seems to be decent(12) shooting skill, my hunters take forever killing stuff because they engage animals at extreme ranges and miss almost all their shots, is there a way to fix this?

Any answers or tips are appreciated.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: July 18, 2016, 11:01:27 am »

I'm new to rimworld and I've got some questions and am also looking for some tips.

I'm not too sure how to go about living accommodations yet, what kind/size of bedrooms do you use? From what I can tell, the malus from being in a communal room remains for some time while one from having a cramped room is gone as soon as they leave the room and I read that their morale is unaffected while they sleep.

How do you do the organ transplant stuff? Is there a way to preserve them? I know things don't rot below freezing temperature, but I'm guessing that's not good for organ viability.

I know the colonists can build up an immunity to the same morale bonus, but can they build an immunity to bad ones? Is there a way to make them care less about certain horrible things, like butchering raiders?(I've got a valuable cannibal I like to keep happy) Alternatively, is there a way to turn everyone into psychopaths or cannibals?

I've noticed that animals that die outside of the home area end up forbidden, but in the interest of not wasting/losing animals(I'm worried they'll run out) to predators, I'm looking for a way to easily get those corpses. I know i could make the home area cover the whole map, but then the colonists would try to clean the whole place. Failing that, is there a way to easily locate corpses or notice when an animal has been killed? I play on large maps and scrolling everywhere to see if anything has died recently takes a while.

What affects a prisoner's chance to be recruited aside from the social skill of the warden? Does their mood affect the likelihood of them accepting? Should I have them in a fancy room?

Aside from having more bodies to throw at enemies, is there any advantage to having a high population? Seems that once basic jobs are covered anyone else is just a resource drain and takes up space with extra bedrooms.

Is animal breeding a decent way to get meat/leather or does it take too long? I know different animals take different amounts of time to mature, what are some animals with a good growth time to resource ratio?

Even with what seems to be decent(12) shooting skill, my hunters take forever killing stuff because they engage animals at extreme ranges and miss almost all their shots, is there a way to fix this?

Any answers or tips are appreciated.

I start with a communal room with my storage at first and start digging single rooms afterwards. I tend to keep enough room around them free so I can make them at least 5*5.
I think organs are like any other meat. Keep them in a room below 0 degrees.
Are you perhaps mixing up the joy immunity with morale immunity?
No idea. I have that issue as well. Though I've noticed animals tend to spawn from the same map edges so if you know where it's easier to just sometimes look there.
If the mood of a prisoner is too low you can not recruit them. That's all I know there might be more going on.
It's always handy to have more people. There is almost always something to haul or clean.
I haven't ever been able to get two animals to breed before one of them died. Must be my luck :P
For hunting try melee perhaps? It's risky though. You could also try the hunting rifle or any other weapon that has a good accuracy bonus at the long range spectrum.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1303 on: July 18, 2016, 11:03:03 am »

what kind/size of bedrooms do you use? From what I can tell, the malus from being in a communal room remains for some time while one from having a cramped room is gone as soon as they leave the room and I read that their morale is unaffected while they sleep.
I just do small 2x2 or 3x3 bedrooms. The mood penalty from a small room isn't that bad, and will go away over time if they spend most of their time in nice open areas. The other room attributes don't matter much unless they spend a lot of time in their rooms, which most do not. Also what is a malus? Google tells me it is a type of shrub, or a return of compensation upon deficient performance in a contract.

I don't think organs decay at all right now, unless it was recently added.

You're mixing two things up here. Colonists who perform the same joy activity over and over to fill their joy need will begin getting less benefit from it, so you need to mix up the number of 'joy activities' available. This doesn't directly impact your colonist's mood, and is different from the mood bonus/penalty effects such as seeing a dead body. They do not 'get used to' doing something like that. A colonist with the cannibal trait won't mind eating human meat, and a psychopath I believe won't mind ANYTHING related to violence, but you can't train the responses out of colonists by repeated exposure.

I don't know of an easy way to do this. Some mods might be able to help but I don't know if any cover that particular aspect.

The prisoner's mood and the social skill of the warden are the two most important factors as far as I know, but there appears to be another modifier that isn't really shown where people of other tech levels are reluctant to join if yours is different. By this I mean if you have captured a tribal, he will be much less likely to join (more difficult to recruit) than the exact same character from an escape pod. I could be wrong there, just my experience.

Yes and no. Keep in mind that this is a game where anyone can be suddenly laid out and unable to work by disease or injury. If you only have one good cook and he gets Malaria, your skill 2 cook might cause everyone else to get food poisoning. If your skilled doctor is himself injured, who patches him up? Its sometimes worthwhile to have redundant skills.

I've had success with chickens as far as meat/eggs, and alpaca are great for getting wool. Some animals have such a long birth/growth cycle that they're not worth it, like elephants.

There are a few combat realism mods that revamp accuracy and stuff. You can see WHY he is having a bad time if you select the colonist and hover over the target (best done while paused) as it will list all of the bonuses/penalties.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 280