Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854740 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1185 on: June 06, 2016, 10:01:32 pm »

"Efficiency" build is basically big rooms.  The debuff for sleeping together is less than the buff from sleeping in quality, so getting one GOOD bedroom is better than several mediocre ones.  Similarly, big rooms of crafting and storage just work well.  Individual rooms are really fun to build, but are generally much less efficient.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: June 06, 2016, 10:18:20 pm »

If you do go with big dorm designs, remember to get the lovers double beds. Otherwise the negative moodlets really stack up.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #1187 on: June 06, 2016, 10:22:55 pm »

"Efficiency" build is basically big rooms.  The debuff for sleeping together is less than the buff from sleeping in quality, so getting one GOOD bedroom is better than several mediocre ones.  Similarly, big rooms of crafting and storage just work well.  Individual rooms are really fun to build, but are generally much less efficient.
True, but that doesn't account for "disturbed sleep" debuffs, which will very quickly outstrip quality buffs.

Personally, between the slow mining of the "Arbitration" modpack recently posted, and generally being tired of the infestation events.
I've moved to semi-free-standing forts with interior buildings for individuals, large unroofed areas dedicated to farming and windmills, and a fortified wall, all at the end of a culvert/canyon on a mountainous map.
Makes for relatively quick to erect decent passive defenses, even with the modpack (and embrasures), though it really makes hauling in things from elsewhere harder, and can make for several restarts to find a map with a decently sized valley to wall off, with enough room to accommodate at least the quarters and farms without digging.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: June 06, 2016, 10:48:26 pm »

Go right for smithed tools and you will be fine.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: June 07, 2016, 06:30:46 am »

I've actually been having a lot of fun building 'village' style, with freestanding buildings and open spaces.  You end up with a lot of broad pathways that are fun to decorate with flowers or statues, and then can reinforce certain chokepoints with turret bunks.  The center area ends up being your hospital bunker - in case of raid, withdraw people to the hospital's fortifications, while the injured are already there.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #1190 on: June 07, 2016, 08:37:22 am »

Development mode has extensive tools available, including a kill pawn tool that will kill whatever you click on.
You'll be forever known as a dirty cheating alpaca, but only to yourself :P

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: June 07, 2016, 09:29:54 am »

I've actually been having a lot of fun building 'village' style, with freestanding buildings and open spaces.  You end up with a lot of broad pathways that are fun to decorate with flowers or statues, and then can reinforce certain chokepoints with turret bunks.  The center area ends up being your hospital bunker - in case of raid, withdraw people to the hospital's fortifications, while the injured are already there.

This sounds like something I should try (again).

Still it's a good idea to have your village enclosed with walls and "remove roof" zones, in case of toxic fallout you can just close the whole thing.

Heating/cooling is probably gonna be somewhat inneficient.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: June 07, 2016, 01:06:26 pm »

I usually make my network of corridors a single room, and all the bedrooms are surrounded on all sides, with a vent each. At least the dormitory area.

Unfortunately you'd have to heat each room independently in a village thingy. This isn't so bad if they're just big enough that making it bigger would need additional heaters/coolers I suppose. Grouping small rooms is probably a good idea.

Also double walls insulate better so external walls could benefit from being thicker.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: June 07, 2016, 07:59:25 pm »

I generally go with individual rooms that are 10x10 including walls. It only takes 1 heater and 1 cooler to keep the rooms in good shape. I generally make sure my dining hall and rec room have extra heaters and coolers to make sure that, even in the worst of heat waves, people have a cool spot to run off to.

I also have taken to connecting everything by a 3 tile wide, covered hallway. This means that I can set up a zone that covers every room without any outside transitions. When people get up to moderate toxic levels from toxic fallout I can make them stay inside only and they can still do some work.

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
    • My game dev hobby blog (updates almost never)
« Reply #1194 on: June 08, 2016, 06:54:14 am »

Also double walls insulate better so external walls could benefit from being thicker.

Not exactly true.  Last I heard, all walls in this game insulate perfectly; heat escapes through doors and the roof.  If you are seeing an effect, I think that it might rather be from double doors.

My own experiences with my mess halls confirm this.  A double wall between the hot and cold parts didn't help, but single walls with a little airlock worked very well.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: June 09, 2016, 12:39:16 pm »

Not exactly true.  Last I heard, all walls in this game insulate perfectly; heat escapes through doors and the roof.  If you are seeing an effect, I think that it might rather be from double doors.

My own experiences with my mess halls confirm this.  A double wall between the hot and cold parts didn't help, but single walls with a little airlock worked very well.

Well that was a direct statement from the author so I don't know what's changed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/345ki1/how_do_different_thicknesses_and_material_types/

Wiki page seems to repeat this information:
http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Temperature

Try making a completely sealed room with no doors and check the internal temperature vs the external temperature to see if it changes.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 12:43:11 pm by Sergius »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: June 09, 2016, 01:06:37 pm »

Yaknow, I really wish we had atleast limited z-levels. Even if it was only a total of, say, three or four levels it would be better than none.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: June 09, 2016, 09:35:35 pm »

Clicking the little arrow until the desired item is first will cause that to be crafted first, unless you don't have the resources to do so.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: June 09, 2016, 10:16:12 pm »

Selecting a crafter and right clicking the bench should allow you to do this for one item. Or suspending the order temporarily.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
    • My game dev hobby blog (updates almost never)
« Reply #1199 on: June 10, 2016, 02:08:34 am »

Well that was a direct statement from the author so I don't know what's changed.

It might be that he had changed it after my most recent experiment, because my opinion was also based on one of his statements.
I might have been misinformed.

I guess I'll have to redo my experiment.

Try making a completely sealed room with no doors and check the internal temperature vs the external temperature to see if it changes.

Unfortunately, if my knowledge is at all reliable, one cannot make a completely sealed room, since heat still escapes through the roof, although underground this only happens very slowly.

TLDR; So.  Yeah, time for !!Science!!
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 280