Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854949 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1005 on: September 08, 2015, 05:57:54 pm »

Yeah ammo is definitely not something I'd want - I don't feel this game needs more logistical challenges. As much as I love LOVE Rimworld, I do find that the randomness of it does sometimes get a bit much, and having to balance scrounging ammo on top of all else would get annoying.

I'd really just like to see something happen with sniper rifles, as they're pretty much game over if you have any colonists outside. Most of the time when they pop up I have 3-4 colonists, and if there happen to be any outside they're auto-dead, and even if i'm careful they still end up destroying everything outside.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: September 08, 2015, 11:56:58 pm »

I really don't see what the fuss with sniper rifles is, usually there are enough trees and other stuff to give cover to let guys with shorter range weapons get closer. I haven't played taigas or deserts or the like, though.

Anyway, I ran across a strange bug/feature. I had that event where a battery explodes. It blew up inside my main barracks, causing a big fire. This immediately got the temperature within the room into 300 celcius. My guys died/fell unconscious from heat stroke almost immediately.

Liction

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: September 09, 2015, 12:51:28 am »

Fire indoors can get stupidly hot and dangerous which is why i put vents on the outside of buildings. This probably wont work well on an extreme climate but most of the time it should be fine.

Snipers are also easy to deal with all you have to do is put up walls to block their line of sight and they will be forced to move in closer for a shot. this can work really well if you can flank the wall as they tend to set up at the corners of them.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: September 09, 2015, 01:02:33 am »

We really need fire suppression systems to build.

Yeah I tend to surround my base with wooden walls that force the enemies to get into the range of turrets. Sieges and sappers are different though, usually I just aggressively assault them immediately.

If stealth gets added one day, having a single sniper stalk you might be an interesting challenge. So the dude stays far, far away and just takes potshots at your dudes going around on chores occasionally, always moving and hiding afterwards.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: September 09, 2015, 03:41:42 am »

Easiest way to deal with indoor fire getting super hot is to mark a tile as no roof, turns room into outdoor temp.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: September 09, 2015, 04:19:50 am »

Another way to deal with snipers is to get your colonists to wear personal shields.  Your civilian colonists can wear shields, and your colonists good at shooting can shoot back because they should be armed.  Most shields will crack after 1-2 hits, but with luck that'll get your guys inside so your military can respond.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: September 09, 2015, 04:28:52 am »

I never have enough people to have any civilians; everyone is always armed, everyone gets to the fortifications when a raid comes.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1012 on: September 09, 2015, 04:30:55 am »

I've been using mods which make all of the weapons craftable, though very expensive. It lets me replace degrading weapons and actually have some control over my armaments.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: September 09, 2015, 05:36:48 am »

Well, if you can build a spaceship, you should be able to build guns.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: September 09, 2015, 09:33:59 am »

Yeah I feel that guns not being craftable is just something that he hasn't got around to adding in/balancing. I can imagine it's hard to do that, because most resources are pretty widely available - at least in small amounts. I mean a geothermal generator uses 400 steel, and you couldn't have a rocket launcher costing more than that, or using gold or whatever without it being silly.

I'd suggest that he put a level cap on the crafting of 10, and then added in 'accurately machined parts' that need to be bought but would be expensive. This would mean you could make them but it'd be a challenge.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: September 09, 2015, 10:39:24 am »

The spaceship still kinda bugs me, I mean it's basically a structural support, some cyro pods, an engine, and an AI comp.

It's honestly weird that you can't make a spaceship to travel around the planet, or even one you can live in.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: September 09, 2015, 12:05:34 pm »

The spaceship still kinda bugs me, I mean it's basically a structural support, some cyro pods, an engine, and an AI comp.

It's honestly weird that you can't make a spaceship to travel around the planet, or even one you can live in.

Yeah, that's one part I'd really like him to finish up. Even if it was just moving your colonists to a new part on the overmap that'd be great as a sort of last ditch escape or way to move off after you mined everything/destroyed everything..

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: September 09, 2015, 01:06:10 pm »

Agreed. It also bugs me that the fusion generator for the ship generates so little power and that the AI core has no other uses.

In regards to ammo, I think that special ammo would be cool (eg. Explosive rounds, armor piercing rounds, stun rounds), but having ammo being a requirement for regular weapon fire would be way more trouble then its worth, especially as it would mean that if you run out of ammo you are completely finished.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: September 09, 2015, 02:33:45 pm »

Could always use bows...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1019 on: September 12, 2015, 06:38:49 am »

If anyone is looking for some extra challenge...

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=8967.0

Try that in hard mode, surviving a 'real' ship crash.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 280