Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 855138 times)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #975 on: August 27, 2015, 02:22:15 am »

Would be nice to have different endgames - escape by building or capturing a ship, make other settlements on planet your bitches and unify the place, become ROBO HIVEMIND, ascend physical realm of being into quantum zone, have a wicked BBQ party.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: August 27, 2015, 03:33:10 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: August 27, 2015, 12:34:29 pm »

A friend let me play this.

Two things I don't like are how cluttered stockpiles get with various bits of clothes and weapons
And how much micromanagement melee combat requires.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: August 27, 2015, 02:44:21 pm »

A friend let me play this.

Two things I don't like are how cluttered stockpiles get with various bits of clothes and weapons
And how much micromanagement melee combat requires.
Stockpiles are actually REALLY versatile, you just have to set them up right.  Clothes/weapons stock up A LOT because you can get like 1 weapon and 3 clothes from a single enemy.  There's a mod for auto-selling though, so that every time a trader arrives it'll sell what you specified.  Easy garbage cleanup + funds.

I prefer this type of melee combat, as opposed to DF style where they run wildly everywhere.  The proper use of melee anyways seems to be having a few line guards to kill off tribesmen who get too close to your gunners.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: August 27, 2015, 04:15:51 pm »

Mechanoids should really get some melee droids. Maybe a hive droid that builds and launches small bladespinner things, you'd need to fight through them to disable the mother. The hive thingy could actually disassemble stuff for parts to spawn the little droids.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: August 27, 2015, 05:35:18 pm »

Mechanoids should really get some melee droids. Maybe a hive droid that builds and launches small bladespinner things, you'd need to fight through them to disable the mother. The hive thingy could actually disassemble stuff for parts to spawn the little droids.
All mechanoids have insane melee strength, if you get close enough.  And there's a mod for more mechanoids, which includes small dog-sized creatures which are strong melee, kinda like metal megascarabs.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: August 27, 2015, 06:41:48 pm »

Reposting something I put up on another forum I'm on, mostly so that this gets marked as one of my threads  :P

I ended up spending basically the entire weekend playing the new version, so I thought I'd post my impressions:

I'm liking the new interface! Much more friendly, and I like how much information you can quickly get by turning on/off various filters (such as being able to easily see what's nuking a room's beauty score - who knew that a giant mechanoid corpse would be such an eyesore?)

The new 'fun' mechanic is a good addition. It still needs to be expanded upon, but it feels much more realistic to see your colonists sitting around the commons, or praying/meditating in their rooms, or just laying back and watching the clouds. (I also have a colonist that loves making snowmen - I have a small army of them surrounding my tundra base which is frozen 10 months of the year.) It's also fun watching them crack open a beer to get some relief from whatever's causing them stress.

Pets/Taming are great. Having some dogs helping with hauling items around really takes the pressure off my (always too few, always overworked) colonists, and keeping chickens around provides eggs for cooking.

Some new events, the most interesting that I've seen so far is the "a herd of animals has gone nuts, and is out for blood!" Twice I got boars, which, with a good firing line and high caliber rifles, ended up feeding me for months. Another time I got boomalopes (a new critter that's basically a giant boomrat) - So much fire! So many explosions! (*breaks down crying*)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: August 27, 2015, 07:25:14 pm »

Chickens are hilarious fun.  Fertilized eggs are stacked to 75.  When more eggs are added to the stack, the 'hatch timer' is averaged between the existing eggs and the new eggs.  The result of this is that when you get all the eggs stacked together, you can get one instant hatching if 75 chicks.

For that purpose, I designated a 'killzone' animal zone.  It's a single tile surrounded by 3 coolers and 1 door.  Animals go in and die of hypothermia.  Sometimes they get out to get warm but quickly go back, and sometimes a doctor rescues one and gets some exp, but they eventually all die.  Easier to assign Chick 47 to the zone than to find and butcher each.  And when they die, they're already frozen and preserved for when the butcher gets to all 75 of them.

Chicks get 2 meat each, but the butchering gives cooking exp.

Also I tamed a Thrumbo!  They have a 220 year lifespan and take 25 years to mature to adulthood, so not really viable for breeding.  They also have a .5% chance of head nuzzle every hour, so not very friendly.  Probably for the best, considering that horn.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: September 07, 2015, 04:00:47 am »

Tried the game out. Played for 3 hours on a large map Phoebe chillax, basebuilding. I was happy to get a 4th colonist, finally. They had food, beds, power. Things were looking up.

Heat wave

4 out of 4 colonists die. Game over. 3 hours building, for nothing

Tried another game. Settled in a slightly less hot biome (temperate forest now instead of jungle).
Carved out a nice place in a mountain, 4 colonists were happy chappies with their own rooms and all...

Heat wave.

4 out of 4 colonists die, even though I told them all to run around naked as soon as the heat wave started, and even though I had a cooler installed in my main stockpile building, set to keep the goods cool at 10 degrees C.  Game over again.

I'm not sure if I want to try a third time, doing the same basic setting up things again just to be wiped out by a random event 3 hours in.
I don't mind losing, it's fun, but not in this completely arbitrary dumb way.

How can I disable heat waves, they are OP?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: September 07, 2015, 04:07:51 am »

did you put air conditioning? also under mountain rooms remains quite cool

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: September 07, 2015, 04:10:25 am »

I've never had anyone die from a heatwave before. On the other hand, I tend to build my bases inside mountains (hey, DF is in my soul) instead of building houses. Caves tend to be cool and coolers are nice. I think the lesson is, always get a cooler for your barracks in hot climate, maybe two or three if it is real hot.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #986 on: September 07, 2015, 08:18:30 am »

I always put enough AC to keep the main part of my building no higher than 25, usually 15.

Additionally, is there a reason you didn't have your fridge set to 0 or -1? Spoiling stops below freezing, and slows down for each degree closer to 0, if above 0.
Sure it takes more energy, but it's that much more time that you don't have to spend farming/gathering.
And unless you're in (near) desert conditions, the power requirement between 10 and 0 isn't as much as you'd think.

Also, as mentioned, building underground is superior to in the open, milder temperatures being just one of the reasons.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #987 on: September 07, 2015, 09:08:49 am »

I've lost a few colonies to heatwaves as well, so I always always make a nice cool barracks as an emergency shelter.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: September 07, 2015, 09:23:32 am »

Unfortunately, unless there are some changes to things like pirate drops, and also because the way heat transfers the only really viable way to build is to make huge buildings with all the needed stuff in them, and people only going outside to pick up things occasionally.

Making single monolithic houses with crafting stuff in them, or digging inside the mountain works. Making single huts scattered is just asking for trouble. Not even mentioning the toxic fallout...

This doesn't exactly bother me much, but it's a bit sad that the inspiration for this game is supposed to be wild west pioneers, but you can't have a proper wild west town with a main street and saloon and individual buildings and stuff.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 09:25:11 am by Sergius »

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: September 07, 2015, 09:28:38 am »

It's quite doable from my experience.  You just need to get them the right clothes.  Try camel hair dusters for example, with the right clothes combo I had peoples 'comfortable' temperature up to ~80 C.  And by the same aspect, if you are careful you can get it down to -80 or so as well for comfortable temp.  The only times I had to force people indoors is yeah, toxic fallout.  But that's kinda a special 'everyone into the damned shelter!  Radioactive gas is everywhere!' moment.

((You can actually be in the fallout a pretty long time before it gets dangerous.))
Nom nom nom
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 280