Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854122 times)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #765 on: October 29, 2014, 01:50:20 am »

So, I wanted to check this out, but the point of entry into an alpha game should absolutely not be $30. Madness.

It's pretty damn good for an alpha game. Basically the scifi DF with less micromanagement. But no Z levels or megastructures. But they focused on the drama and even amplified it.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: October 29, 2014, 01:53:09 am »

So, I wanted to check this out, but the point of entry into an alpha game should absolutely not be $30. Madness.

It's pretty damn good for an alpha game. Basically the scifi DF with less micromanagement. But no Z levels or megastructures. But they focused on the drama and even amplified it.
You say "no micromanagement" until you have a pirate raid and need to order your colonists to positions...  At least DF has alerts and burrows.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: October 29, 2014, 01:55:33 am »

You say "no micromanagement" until you have a pirate raid and need to order your colonists to positions...  At least DF has alerts and burrows.
Very much this. I'm hoping for the next update he will add in alert flags to force the colonists to stay indoors unless they are drafted.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: October 29, 2014, 09:02:24 am »

Very much this. I'm hoping for the next update he will add in alert flags to force the colonists to stay indoors unless they are drafted.

Alternatively, you can draft everyone and order "civilians" to stay indoors, then have them dying of starvation a week later because you completely forgot about them when undrafting.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: November 03, 2014, 09:07:12 am »

Oh heh I haven't played Fortress Mode in a really long time. Forgot about burrows :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: November 03, 2014, 09:19:03 am »

There was a big mod that added battle stations, you could order a colonist somewhere while drafted, save that position, and then later re-draft them and automatically send them back to the same position.  It was abandoned in like alpha 5 though, which is a shame because the game is unplayable with more than 5 colonists and raiders active - it's just TOO MUCH of a hassle to track down every single wandering colonist and tell them to go inside, remember who has good guns and good skill, get them set up just right, and then repeat the entire thing 10 minutes later on the next raid.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: November 03, 2014, 09:30:40 am »

I am quite possibly one of the stingiest guys on the planet, but I put down $30 and have played it more than almost any Triple A, big budget, $40-50 title I can name.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: November 03, 2014, 09:38:35 am »

Is there a limit on how many colonists you can have? At most, I think I had 8.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #773 on: November 03, 2014, 09:40:25 am »

Pretty sure I saw a mod semi-recently that had pre-designated positions for the colonists.
Can't remember what it was called though, but battle stations doesn't sound familiar (in this context at least :P)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: November 03, 2014, 09:58:06 am »

I think I had 11 or 12. I usually kill any captives that have too negative traits.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: November 03, 2014, 10:11:20 am »

It softcaps.  As colonists rise, slave traders and knockouts get less likely.  M-24s are great for knockouts, as long as you have wood - it'll shoot a leg clean off, so you can get a capture you can put a peg leg on.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: November 03, 2014, 12:38:54 pm »

I have seen people with 20, theres a letsplay of it with I think 25, but thats with Randy.
The 20 one was a few months ago and with classic.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: November 11, 2014, 04:00:03 pm »

So I bought the game, got the download (win) and... err... where is the .exe ? Or any executable file? To like... play the game?

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #778 on: November 11, 2014, 04:07:32 pm »

Self-installing version? Dunno. Try a search on your drive for Ludeon or Rimworld. One of them will get a hit.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: November 11, 2014, 04:11:21 pm »

Well since I use Windows I got the

RimWorld - Windows Download (receiving a RimWorldAlpha7cWin file) - after unziping I had the normal folder structure;

RimWorldAlpha7cWin\RimWorld584Win\RimWorld584Win_Data
                                                 \Mods
                                                 \Source

and so on - but no exe in any of them.

Thankfully the prototype pack works to some degree, but really, the main (limited!) download could contain a working .exe next time : (.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 280