Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854098 times)

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #750 on: October 28, 2014, 05:47:31 pm »

If you hate games because they don't meet expectations, then you need to lower your expectations. People need to earn a paycheck too :P
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: October 28, 2014, 06:08:28 pm »

If you hate games because they don't meet expectations, then you need to lower your expectations. People need to earn a paycheck too :P

Alternatively, people can earn paychecks from those whose expectations they do meet.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #752 on: October 28, 2014, 06:52:20 pm »

Shitty games should not be encouraged, and all games should have a demo.
That's my viewpoint on how I justify piracy to see where to spend my gaming dollars.
If you're looking for a regular paycheck, and can't invest the time/effort to make a game worth buying, go corporate.
Call of Duh will always sell.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: October 28, 2014, 09:28:47 pm »

Demo largely disappeared because they dont work. They didnt generate sales, or promote the game well. So why keep using it?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Jiokuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Morning comes whether you set the alarm or not
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: October 28, 2014, 09:52:16 pm »

I just wanted to chime in and say. All of my game purchases in the late 90's/early 2000's were based off of game demo's. They were really effective at giving me a feel for what the game would play like, while also teasing for more.

In my opinion, demo's weren't a waste of time, but they aren't coming back anytime soon. Demo's are reasonably effective at promoting the game. However anyone reasonably skilled at making a good demo can make a lot more money in the social gaming market, which uses a very similar skill set to make most of their games.

Do you guys think there well ever be support for multiple colonies? That was always one of the limitations I strained against from the Seirra games like Pharaoh/Cesar/Zeus to Dwarf Fortress. Even if time was stopped Sims style, I would enjoy the ability to at least pretend I was slowly colonizing an entire planet. (To be honest this is likely once again a pipe dream, alas it is too little game-play for such a significant resource investment.)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: October 28, 2014, 11:46:47 pm »

My biggest issues...were when a demo was DRASTICALLY different than the final game...usually the demo was better

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: October 28, 2014, 11:48:09 pm »

Demos are fun. There! My two cents!

i contributed
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: October 28, 2014, 11:52:16 pm »

Do you guys think there well ever be support for multiple colonies? That was always one of the limitations I strained against from the Seirra games like Pharaoh/Cesar/Zeus to Dwarf Fortress. Even if time was stopped Sims style, I would enjoy the ability to at least pretend I was slowly colonizing an entire planet. (To be honest this is likely once again a pipe dream, alas it is too little game-play for such a significant resource investment.)
There already is support for multiple colonies, they just don't interact yet.  You create a world and then choose where you want to place your colony, and then you just save your colony state like in any other game.  Then instead of loading your last colony you can just start a new one on the same world.  So right now it is the sims style, just no interaction.

The whole world system isn't done yet, the last few biomes aren't even open yet.

Also on the whole demo thing: Don't expect a demo from a major company, they've all come to the same conclusion.  Out of 9 possible combinations between good, mediocre and bad game and demo combinations only 1 will increase sales, the majority hurt sales and the rest have a overall neutral effect.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: October 29, 2014, 12:06:52 am »

The problem with AA titles (or AAA? or are those batteries?) is that demos are in most cases counterproductive, and they rely on the inability of buyers to determine the game quality before spending their money. So, they may lose the careful customers, but I suppose they make it up in numbers from impulse buyers.

There ARE really good games, but probably the big producers are not going to take the chance anyways.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: October 29, 2014, 12:31:20 am »

I-it's triple A. So AAA. Double A is batteries.

Sillyface.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: October 29, 2014, 12:35:14 am »

There are also AAA batteries.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: October 29, 2014, 12:45:47 am »

There are also AAA batteries.
Sometimes I love the quotes out of this forum, in context or out.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: October 29, 2014, 12:50:34 am »

I have seen one use for Triple A batteries, and that was for a shite remote that lasted about three days before I lobbed it out the window screaming profanity at it, then proceeded to dig about in the garden because I realized it hadn't broke at all but I in fact had mistaken it for being broken due to a dead battery, thus making me want to shank the universe and everything in it.

The end.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: October 29, 2014, 12:50:48 am »

So, I wanted to check this out, but the point of entry into an alpha game should absolutely not be $30. Madness.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: October 29, 2014, 12:52:06 am »

Aye. A bit steep. Which is why I, shamefully, pirated it. The day it comes out, I will purchase it in full.

That day ain't here yet.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 280