Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 853938 times)

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #600 on: September 12, 2014, 10:21:42 am »

There are mods available to help solve those problems.
The Tech Tree Minami modpack includes a station to create advanced medicines, including "Regenulant" which will help heal old injuries. It also has a decent amount of armor/clothing crafting.
I'm not certain, but I wouldn't be surprised if either of those could be found by themselves, if you're not interested in relearning how to play the game from scratch.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: September 12, 2014, 11:19:35 am »

Prosthesis will be in someday, and wear those helmets!
Changelog shows that next version is going to sell limbs and clothes/armor from merchants.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: September 12, 2014, 11:20:38 am »

Fuck mods.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: September 12, 2014, 11:57:05 am »

Zombies, the corpses pile up to forever.  I've had to modify morale thoughts.... cause rotting corpses are bad.

Whatever the heck happened to ruling my colony with fear anyways?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: September 12, 2014, 12:07:32 pm »

There's a reason I play with debug mode so I can disable mental breaks.  Morale system is broken.  The best players I've seen still regularly lose 2-3 colonists at a time during peacetimes.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: September 12, 2014, 01:19:55 pm »

Needs more DF-level controls, like making out of bounds areas...  What stuff to haul first...  An all in one place to place work orders...

Damnit, I should just play DF shouldn't I?  (When is the bug fix cycle gonna be over?)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: September 12, 2014, 01:49:46 pm »

Needs more DF-level controls, like making out of bounds areas...  What stuff to haul first...  An all in one place to place work orders...

Damnit, I should just play DF shouldn't I?  (When is the bug fix cycle gonna be over?)

To be honest, I've found DF pretty stable as of .12 - there are occasional world gen crashes, and the odd bit of bizarre behaviour (which you can just put down to drunken dwarves!), but other than that it's pretty much ok. 11/.12, seemed to fix some of the most annoying issues as well.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: September 12, 2014, 07:15:12 pm »

There's a reason I play with debug mode so I can disable mental breaks.  Morale system is broken.  The best players I've seen still regularly lose 2-3 colonists at a time during peacetimes.

Makes you wonder if you got all the homicidal maniacs when they start murdering their friends after mining for an hour. Hell, colonists are more emotionally sensitize than dwarves considering I get more mental outbreaks in a 10 person colony than a 100 dwarf fort.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #608 on: September 13, 2014, 12:53:46 am »

Just how selective are you guys when recruiting new colonists? I hand-picked all of mine, only problem children I have are a very-neutoric (ha) space marine & a psychically hypersensitive miner/grower-turned-cook.

Both of which have highly-valuable flipsides & both of which I can manage- getting a chef up & running, smoothing or dropping wood panels everywhere, and, especially, taking the time out to have someone CLEAN for a few days makes all the difference.

That and putting your resident psychopath on culling duty, putting bad apples out of their misery.

Or are we talking about fear-based colonies?

-e
Tell you guys what, I think having Friendly Phoebe splice into Randy Random for endgame spawns would be better than copying Cassandra and her 9-dozen-mechanoid-spawns. Even with huge breaks in-between, there is no are very limited ways to deal with that, & it just winds up forcing me to drop the difficulty further & further as the game goes on, or drastically redesign my base for MAXIMUM CHEESE.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 01:03:18 am by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: September 13, 2014, 04:47:59 am »

The problem with the game is that it is way too hard to get new colonists, with that it makes it devastating losing one or two which means to try and minimise casualties you generally exploit the AI. Hopefully in future updates it will be easier to get new colonists and then there can be more events which cause you to lose colonists.

DF is nice in that you can face strong opposition and lose many dwarves but you can still end up with many to survive and new ones come and re-populate.

For being selective I normally recruit anyone for 4, 5 and 6 just for extra hands for cleaning/constructing/meat-shields, 7 and above usually have to have good potential and anything past 10 requires there to be enough space for them first but I am doing stuff like making a large dormitory so even though there are penalties of shared sleeping hopefully the decoration of the room is enough to outweigh it.

I like my base design though which is like a big C shape with fortifications all along the inside and lots of doors inbetween so when I get attacked I can move colonists from one side to the other in my base to kite the raiders, a little mortar nest in the middle as well to thwart any sieges.

Of course sieges aren't really that deadly because they starve themselves out and just end up going crazy after a few days, you don't need to use explosive mortars, just fire EMP once a day and raiders will just go crazy eventually, one siege I got pretty lucky and killed all their foodstock with two mortar hits and they went mad super quick which netted me a lot of power armour.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #610 on: September 13, 2014, 05:27:40 am »

I go full DF mode & tunnel into mountains. Siege? What siege?

But nah, sending out a sniper to pick them off is a fun, pro-active siege solution. Mortars help but damn will an M-24 do some work.
I imagine sieges will get more threatening should mortars be made more accurate.

Problem with the dormitory bit is the -8 applies at all times while the 'beautiful environment' only applies while they're in it. Stuffing them in beautiful closets is better. Though I'm not sure the 'beautiful' part is even necessary, since room benefits might not apply while they're unconscious, (99% of time spent in room).
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 05:37:04 am by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: September 13, 2014, 07:27:06 am »

Problem with the dormitory bit is the -8 applies at all times while the 'beautiful environment' only applies while they're in it. Stuffing them in beautiful closets is better. Though I'm not sure the 'beautiful' part is even necessary, since room benefits might not apply while they're unconscious, (99% of time spent in room).

Interesting... I may try putting them in tiny two square rooms, should save a lot of space.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #612 on: September 13, 2014, 02:35:19 pm »

Loooks like, beautiful/hideous environment don't apply, but space does. So a 4x5 with dirt caking the walls & rubble strewn around the central bed == a clean carpet/wood planking 4x5 room with a light, flowers & furniture. The latter just provides a place to stuff them if they're near breaking point.

Further, if you do go the fancy bedroom route, there's no point in leaving the light on unless you want to grow a pot of flowers.

'Very/Cramped' still pulls down the bonus mood they get from sleeping, but it doesn't apply outside that room.
Badges of honor

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: September 13, 2014, 03:55:32 pm »

Agreed, bare room of the necessary size. Light and ornamentals are useless in the bedrooms. I don't even wire them for power.

Even the royal bed doesn't seem to make a difference other than environment, and looking at the raws it's barely something like a 0.01% sleep bonus.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: September 15, 2014, 01:36:23 am »

Something is really wrong with the scaling of number of enemies in this game.  'Builder' Difficulty.  35 zombies with my big expensive turreted base(Missile launcher is pretty awesome).  The next level above that is 5x the numbers... if you do the maths with Builder at 5% and the next level is 25%...   and its not just the zombies that get bloated.

What the heck?  I get huge slow downs from the Casual 25% difficulty.  (Though, this time around, I did turn off the buzzant event from the TTM mod.  It really does add a lot of annoying bodies.)

I did modify storyteller population numbers if that did something...

EDIT: Yea, I dropped down from casual to builder cause of the sheer numbers.  But now it is too small.  Need a good middle ground.  Though, I guess I could specifically set things up to manage the masses of dead bodies.... rather then cremation, employing the missile launcher and miscellaneous explosives, while setting up a killzone that would allow me to use either/both.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 02:14:26 am by Zangi »
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 280