Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 853905 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #555 on: August 14, 2014, 01:18:56 pm »

Personality rewrite is at the top of this update. I'd assume yes.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: August 14, 2014, 02:46:54 pm »

Personality rewrite is at the top of this update. I'd assume yes.

I wasn't sure if that actually fixed the problem though. I mean the main problem was tantrum spirals that you couldn't do anything about, and that all battles caused massive morale drops - even if you won!

Any news on those fronts?
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: August 14, 2014, 03:36:21 pm »

I think 'personality rewrites' is more about the 'storyteller personality' but I dunno if colonists have been changed.  I debug in to turn off mental breaks, because they're OP.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: August 14, 2014, 05:14:28 pm »

I don't quite understand the doctor system. I read that eye injuries never heal, but my doctor was struck by lightning, burning both his eyes (yes, what are the odds), and he was treated, the injuries went away and it says eyesight is at 100% efficiency. But whenever he tries to heal someone from the slightest scratch it says it gave him "poor quality treatment (100% chance)". What gives, he's blind or isn't?

EDIT: Forgot to add, the doc's name is "Squint" :P

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: August 14, 2014, 07:18:17 pm »

the personality rewrite only affects the traits...as far as I have read...morality might be on there...but i also think the new levels of difficulty change it up a bit and make it easier to control in a reasonable way

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: August 15, 2014, 11:01:29 am »

Ok, I take it back everything bad I said about the game. It's just the Cassandra AI that's borked up (well, supposedly in this version you don't get waves of 100 crappy pirates basically steamrolling you, but a few high quality ones), and I've been using the Basebuilder AI and it's way more manageable. And apprently you can change it mid-game so you can turn the difficulty up and down.

I'm also going to plant dandelions everywhere, specially near my barricades so that everyone's happy with all the hunger and killing :D

EDIT: Aaand... there we go again. Phoebe Basebuilder at "challenging" (the default difficulty) just threw 25 pirates with guns vs my 4 colonists after just an hour of playing. Reminder: move the difficulty slider WAY down. At LEAST down to "rough", but even "casual" is starting to sound like the only playable difficulty :-/
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 11:24:21 am by Sergius »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: August 15, 2014, 11:05:06 am »

the personality rewrite only affects the traits...as far as I have read...morality might be on there...but i also think the new levels of difficulty change it up a bit and make it easier to control in a reasonable way

Steadfast and Iron-willed can take your threshold of breaking to 1*.

Cannibal makes it so you can eat people, no morale penalty, I also believe no morale penalty from killing people and seeing bodies [which is the main thing that ruins morale].

Psychopath [Or is it bloodlust?] makes it so blood, violence, etc doesn't negatively affect morale. I believe there might be a bonus to morale from causing death too, but I haven't used one yet.

Neurotic is a trait you don't want to have, makes it much easier to break. Anyone with neurotic is useless to me unless they're a researcher and can be easily defended in a bunker with amazing decoration.

Basically, you want a Steadfast/Iron-willed Cannibal/Psychopath. Or about 5, 6, 7 of them to handle your dirty work.

*The -9 on iron willed takes the break threshold to nearly the lowest it can be, nearly impossible to break without *DRONING*

Also, nudists are fun. Morale bonuses from being naked. If only there were armors that allowed nudists to consider themselves still nude while being marginally protected.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 11:08:43 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: August 15, 2014, 12:14:37 pm »

(snip)

Sanguine is also basically a permanent +15 to morale.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: August 15, 2014, 12:55:40 pm »

Sounds like it might be time to give this game another go.

Also, nudists are fun. Morale bonuses from being naked. If only there were armors that allowed nudists to consider themselves still nude while being marginally protected.
Personal forcefields or something.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

TynanSylvester

• Bay Watcher
  • Void lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: August 15, 2014, 08:31:56 pm »

Sergius - Phoebe attacking with 25 people vs colonists after an hour of playtime sounds seriously wrong. Is there any chance you can take the savegame file and world file and zip them and post them? I'd like to inspect the history.

You can open saves with the "open savegames folder" button in the options menu.
rimworldgame.com

tynansylvester.com

Evilsx

• Bay Watcher
  • Some crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: August 16, 2014, 12:43:51 am »

Would love to play this when it gets on steam right now

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: August 16, 2014, 02:45:43 pm »

Sergius - Phoebe attacking with 25 people vs colonists after an hour of playtime sounds seriously wrong. Is there any chance you can take the savegame file and world file and zip them and post them? I'd like to inspect the history.

You can open saves with the "open savegames folder" button in the options menu.

Sorry man, I think I sorta rolled back to a pre-invasion autosave and overwrote the saved game after I changed from Challenging to Casual and then waited for the same random event trigger (which was basically 3 guys with pistols). I only had 4 colonists and had barely researched anything.

Still I'm going to try to find that saved game monday when I'm back at work...
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 02:48:00 pm by Sergius »

TynanSylvester

• Bay Watcher
  • Void lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: August 16, 2014, 09:48:34 pm »

Well, Challenge mode is 4x of Casual, so if you got 3 pistoleers on Casual you should have gotten the equivalent of 12 pistoleers on Challenge (probably closer to 6 decently armed enemies)... Anyway it's okay. Thanks for replying.
rimworldgame.com

tynansylvester.com

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #568 on: September 02, 2014, 08:40:05 pm »

Say, any of you fellows know a decent editor?

Sure, I derive a certain neurotic pleasure from spending an hour and a half carefully vetting my first three survivors for a well-rounded, cohesive, and interesting team, 'tis true. But when I hit 'start' and find out I'd rather play in mountains than on a flat plain, doing it all over again is a right bummer.
Anything hiding out there?
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: September 02, 2014, 08:41:00 pm »

My sympathy goes out to you.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 280