Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 853870 times)

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #510 on: June 15, 2014, 02:05:52 pm »

PTW

Never noticed this before.  Looks pretty awesome at a glance.  Will probably be buying to ease the increasingly agonizing wait for DF2014.
Worth it, I spend way too much time playing this game. And there are plenty of mods as well, though a fair amount are still being updated to the latest version.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Varee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: June 17, 2014, 11:06:58 am »

Well the game itself is ok but if it have the depth too it would be better
Living on the opposite part of the world is sometime a problem

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: June 17, 2014, 11:17:15 am »

Toady, y u no do dis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMBQn_sg7DA
I think DF already can determine whenever the path from 1 point to another can exist.

And also as comments in the video indicate:
"Won't the regions system create localized behavior shifts, though? Like muffalo only grazing in one region for grass, because they'll check it first, even if there's closer cells outside the region?"
This can't do in a game as complex as DF.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 11:19:42 am by Sergarr »
._.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: June 17, 2014, 06:22:16 pm »

Yea DF currently has the system where rooms determine if they can reach eachother. and then if something tries to path to something on a diffrent pathing grid it dosn't bother doing the A* and fails it, rimworld and DF share that.

The problem in DF's system is that it the pathing dosn't distinguish between a critter and a dwarf pathing.  Bach when Toady was adding the underground layers he was consitering letting dwarves climb ropes from above because he thought building stairs down from above into open space seemed silly.  The problem came up because he doesn't have any way he can have critters not be able to climb ropes because the pathing grid system doesn't distinguish.

The only thing ingame currently that does that is doors set to not let pets through, but those do it the bad way, if a pet tries to path through one of those doors it will flood everything it can reach before determining it can't get there, which is very very bad for large numbers of creatures.

Regions would still have them flood all the regions pathfinding, but it would probably be cheaper than a tile by tile A* allowing more creature restricted pathing before it bogs stuff down.

The video comment makes a nice point though.  It could probably be solved in Tynan's case by having a special case in grazing animals to have a creature decide to randomly ignore the regions and jump straight to A* now and then.  Even if it only happens once every 50 times that might be enough to break critters out of a region and munch someplace else for awhile.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: June 18, 2014, 04:31:32 pm »

Halp.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Warning: large image
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: June 18, 2014, 04:32:35 pm »

Dear gods what have you done?
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: June 18, 2014, 04:33:32 pm »

Dear gods what have you done?
I was playing a modded game and had just fought off some raiders, and suddenly squirrels. Squirrels everywhere.

My base had a choke point protected by fortifications, including a couple of turrets, (off-screen) and all of my colonists had automatic weapons. Works fine against raiders, but squirrelpocalypse? Well...

« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 04:35:52 pm by Morrigi »

TynanSylvester

• Bay Watcher
  • Void lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: June 25, 2014, 09:55:25 am »

What are all those mods you're running Morrigi?
rimworldgame.com

tynansylvester.com

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: June 26, 2014, 04:26:55 am »

I am completely and utterly addicted to this, and I'm equally addicted to downloading compatible mods from the forums. Superbly fun game already, and it can only get better!

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: July 04, 2014, 06:43:46 pm »

Sieges are a thing  :o get your socks on!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: July 04, 2014, 06:53:48 pm »

Sieges are a thing  :o get your socks on!
As are indirect fire mortars.  A semi-decent anti-siege measure would appear to be banks of mortars so you can just volley fire against enemy encampments.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: July 05, 2014, 05:50:14 pm »

Toady, y u no do dis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMBQn_sg7DA
I think DF already can determine whenever the path from 1 point to another can exist.

And also as comments in the video indicate:
"Won't the regions system create localized behavior shifts, though? Like muffalo only grazing in one region for grass, because they'll check it first, even if there's closer cells outside the region?"
This can't do in a game as complex as DF.

I did something similiar to the regionsystem in a small project of mine (it was for a little collisiondetection in a selfbuild javascript based game). You normaly check if the adjectant regions are reachable (or make a map of connected regions first), if so you can check them. You can also make a quick guess of your distance (if you have square regions just do a bit of trigonoetry with your position and the regions corners) to the next region.

What you can also do is flag the region with some metrics. First the size and then stuff like an average over the contents. Say if you are a muffalo you check the next 3 regions out for a a good average in foodsupplie. You can ignore any region that has no food and just path through those that lead to a food bearing zone/region.   
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: July 08, 2014, 09:06:07 am »

It look like the bug that makes grass disappear after a little while is having disastrous effects on my crops, unless I wall them off (as an aside, an idea: fences that are impassable to small creatures, require 'hopping' like sandbags for medium-sized, and are damaged on contact with larger pawns like Caterpillars and maybe muffalo?) as the local wildlife are swarming my fields to feed themselves

As I said to Boomrat Pharaoh, verily: 'Let my taters grow!'
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: July 08, 2014, 01:31:01 pm »

I've never seen a bug that makes grass disappear, and I've had like 400+ day colonies, just not in A5.

I usually wall and roof my farms, using fertilizer pumps and sun lamps to support HUGE crops.  If you've got outdoor and accessible farms, then consider having one guy with a minigun set to hunting, and periodically hunt everything.

Alternatively, why NOT house your farm?  It seems like a security risk to have it open...

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: July 08, 2014, 03:48:08 pm »

I like hydroponics.  Err, I generally like everything dug into a mountain.

It seems like that's wrong, somehow, though.  :(  This latest map of mine basically gave me pre-Z-level Dorf Fort, though - all mountain on one side, all plains on the rest.  The only thing is, it's oriented up-down instead of left-right.

Also, dammit, betterpower+.  Updateeee.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 280