Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 853711 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #315 on: November 07, 2013, 06:02:05 pm »

A switch would be nice but you could just disconnect a power conduit to some batteries and then re-build the conduit when you might need it.
Yes i would like to avoid queuing that all the time :P

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 07, 2013, 06:47:19 pm »

Also you seem to get 100% of your metal back when selling conduits, since they cost 1 metal, and it rounds up, or something.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 08, 2013, 07:51:59 pm »

Conduits are just strips of metal buried in the ground :P

I think I figured a great base defense layout, will post it if it survives past 10 cycles on Tough Kassandra Classic.

Spoiler: Before attack (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: After attack (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 08:20:06 pm by Muz »
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 08, 2013, 08:12:23 pm »

Turrets work best at close range, I had a set up where I had a murder hallway and as raiders approach I just sell the walls and the turrets start blasting away, any surviving raiders who manage to kill the turret can get caught up in the blast radius and if not are severely weakened, plus at the end of the hallway can have my own sniper just picking them off as they approach.

Just have to make sure the walls next to the turret aren't the ones powering the turret as when you sell the walls you just have an expensive bomb....

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: November 08, 2013, 08:29:56 pm »

Oh, right. The explosion thing is good when it's next to the raiders :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: November 08, 2013, 08:30:30 pm »

Loving this game so far :) I'm really sucky at it though; I've only managed to keep a colony going more than a couple days on the friendly AI. Is there anything past the initial research list that can be unlocked? Also, my only problem so far is not being able to easily tell where roof coverage begins and ends (like if you don't put in enough supports). Or am I missing something?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 08, 2013, 08:39:35 pm »

Loving this game so far :) I'm really sucky at it though; I've only managed to keep a colony going more than a couple days on the friendly AI. Is there anything past the initial research list that can be unlocked? Also, my only problem so far is not being able to easily tell where roof coverage begins and ends (like if you don't put in enough supports). Or am I missing something?

I did some testing on room sizes earlier, and you will have a collapse at 11x11.  10x10 is ok, as is 10x30.  As for research, that's all there is at the moment - I'm sure more will be added, and there have been a few threads in the Suggestions forums about it.

As for gameplay in general, I think you just have to try & die enough to get a feel for it.  Keep at it, and you'll get the hang of it - check this post for more detail.
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 09, 2013, 04:21:05 am »

Cave ins haven't been a problem for me as my builds are always claustrophobic as a russian submarine :P I meant when you build buildings on the surface, and they automatically grow a roof when you complete the walls. If you build them too big you end up with holes, and there's no easy way to tell where those holes are.

EDIT: How do I control the flow of my colonists? Is there any way to lock doors, say, to keep them inside?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 10:31:14 am by Chattox »
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #323 on: November 09, 2013, 12:12:08 pm »

From my testing, you need a 6x6 room with a bed not touching the wall for the colonists to not have the 'cramped environment' thought.Can anyone else verify?

its hard to test things in this game sometimes.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 09, 2013, 12:48:54 pm »

Cave ins haven't been a problem for me as my builds are always claustrophobic as a russian submarine :P I meant when you build buildings on the surface, and they automatically grow a roof when you complete the walls. If you build them too big you end up with holes, and there's no easy way to tell where those holes are.

EDIT: How do I control the flow of my colonists? Is there any way to lock doors, say, to keep them inside?

Drafting colonists turn them into normal RTS units. they won't run outside unless you order them too.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 09, 2013, 01:46:39 pm »

Tynan, this game is incredible. Even bare-bones beta [.25 if I remember right] and you have more progress than most.

I cannot wait to see what kind of art direction this will have. I thought I PTW'd this a while ago so here I am.

Also, small thing, but I really thing the rate of 'decay' on items like walls and sandbags should not exist. It makes sense for conduits [occassional frays and maintenance] and generators but I shouldn't have to repair my concrete walls every 24 hours.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 09, 2013, 01:55:32 pm »

Tynan, this game is incredible. Even bare-bones beta [.25 if I remember right] and you have more progress than most.

I cannot wait to see what kind of art direction this will have. I thought I PTW'd this a while ago so here I am.

Also, small thing, but I really thing the rate of 'decay' on items like walls and sandbags should not exist. It makes sense for conduits [occassional frays and maintenance] and generators but I shouldn't have to repair my concrete walls every 24 hours.

I agree, I think 60% or my colonist work is going towards repairing stuff breaking on it's own.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 09, 2013, 03:13:21 pm »

Well, it's concrete made by colonists on a barren planet. Probably not very good. Also, it burns for some reason.

You could relate the damage to extreme weather, I suppose.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 09, 2013, 06:59:57 pm »

Stuff exposed to the elements should degrade, but not inside, I think. There was a game a long time ago called Dune 2000 in which buildings would deteriorate if you built them on rough ground, but would be fine so long as you protected them by building concrete foundations, first. Something like that would be cool I think, only instead of foundations, have the difference between inside/outside instead. And maybe only have the damage taken during bad weather? I have to agree, having a chunk of wall just randomly take damage in the middle of the safest part of my colony is kinda weird.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 09, 2013, 07:06:28 pm »

There was a game a long time ago called Dune 2000

Even longer ago, Dune II. ;)
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 280