Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 853717 times)

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #270 on: October 29, 2013, 05:09:42 pm »

:( 4 days to go has becomes ~20 days to go :(

I know it's not your fault Tynan but I want to play this soooooo muuuuuuch!

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #271 on: October 29, 2013, 07:49:15 pm »

Almost late too the party, but just backed this.
Didn't even have to watch more than half the video, or read more than a 1/3rd the Kickstarter page.  ;D
I sense a potential new Old Reliable in the making.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 08:40:12 pm by n9103 »

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 30, 2013, 01:01:25 am »

It only took the first quarter of Scot Manley's video before I pitched in.

Torham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 30, 2013, 02:38:17 am »

Just bought the Colonizer pack, after Scot Manley did a video on Rimworld. I really hope this gets done. I especially like the graphics - simple yet clean and kind of neat. And for the people saying that Rimworld is ripping of DF, I donate to DF on a yearly basis, so I basically buy DF EVERY year. 
Peace out.
I, for one, welcome our new Pony Overlords.

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 30, 2013, 02:54:13 am »

PTW, game looks awesome, good job! Wish I had the money to contribute...

christonian

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's Play Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 30, 2013, 08:35:56 am »

Just a update on my end with a great game

We are now 8 colonies in. Videos for 2 separate builds everyday. One survival the other Phoebe with 20+ colonists

Playlist is at 40 videos and 9hrs of gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQ0P4whkLHM3dluBfkJRsqGbAAVABYOmb

Cant wait till everyone can play it is definitely worth the wait everyone, even if you have to wait another 2 Weeks just means Ty can fit more great stuff/refine and fix bugs into the release build
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 09:14:33 am by christonian »

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 30, 2013, 08:43:15 am »

Just bought the Colonizer pack, after Scot Manley did a video on Rimworld. I really hope this gets done. I especially like the graphics - simple yet clean and kind of neat. And for the people saying that Rimworld is ripping of DF, I donate to DF on a yearly basis, so I basically buy DF EVERY year. 
Peace out.

From my brief reading the graphics as they are currently are a placeholder for when they can create some more unique ones for the game. As it stands they are very similar to Prison Architect partly because they lack a proper artist and also because Prison Architect has simple, clean graphics in the first place.

I would guess that the end graphics would look similar in layout but differ in style.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 30, 2013, 08:59:33 am »

God dang it...I can't decide if I want to get it or not...still waiting on my new job to start...and until it does (hopefully in no more than a week or two) I am strapped for cash...but the kickstarter ends in a couple days

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #278 on: October 30, 2013, 09:02:38 am »

Link's not working, btw!

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: November 01, 2013, 05:29:45 pm »

Congratulations to Tynan on that dramatically successful Kickstarter. Like, wow.

I bought my way in on the 30$ level through the paypal buttons on the site (thanks to Scott Manley on youtube for showing the game). I literally can't wait. I mean, I can, but, you know.

There seem to be a lot of questions about the endgame, but honestly I'm more interested in how a colony will begin than how it will end. In case you're still answering questions here:

1. Will there be variable starting conditions that affect what kind of technologies can be accessed and what buildings can be constructed during the game, i.e. a "tech level" for the colonists? (As a suggestion, I think that an escape shuttle, rather than individual escape pods, would go a long way towards explaining why the colonists would know a solar flare is coming or an eclipse is happening, and why they can fabricate things like gun turrets.)

2. Are you looking at building in personality traits for the initial colonists/survivors that might dramatically alter a player's options and style, like xenophobia, anti-slavery sentiments, suspicion of technology, etc.?

3. How far "down" will the survival aspect go? It doesn't seem like the colonists are terribly concerned about water or extremes of temperature at this point.

4. What considerations go into the size of the colony map? Will the planet's surface be explorable?
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: November 01, 2013, 10:32:39 pm »

Holy shit. I haven't been paying attention to the kickstarter. 268k!? God damn! Hats off!

Enjoy the paycheck and the 2 months you get before people start complaining that they don't have the game yet.

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: November 02, 2013, 10:50:49 am »

Chucked my $30 into the game. Looks super interesting. Had to use the PayPal option on the Rimworld homepage instead of Kickstarter though. Kickstarters that make you enter your credit card info on the Kickstarter website rather than going through Amazon always cause my credit card to get flagged for suspicious activity/fraud.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 02, 2013, 01:45:48 pm »

Congrats on the wildly successful KS! And, while I haven't actually seen much in the way of complaining about Rimworld being a DF clone, all I can say is; is more DF really a bad thing? Especially set in space?

Also!

4. What considerations go into the size of the colony map? Will the planet's surface be explorable?

What would be a cool idea to save on memory for lower-end machines is maybe some kind of overworld metagame where you can send colonists out on missions! Like, choose a group of colonists, and their equipment, maybe even vehicle, then send them somewhere on a randomly generated overworld map created at the start of the game. Missions could include looking for supplies, prospecting mining sites, attacking bandit camps (could reduce frequency of raids or maybe rescue stolen colonists?). I'm thinking kind of like Evil Genius did, but more fleshed out. I dunno, just throwing ideas around. :)
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: November 04, 2013, 02:56:55 pm »

Gentlemen who paid $30 or more... check yer emails :D

Thank you Tynan!
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: November 04, 2013, 03:07:05 pm »

Arrives in time for the start of my working week. Guess I know what I'll be playing next weekend :D.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 280