Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 854954 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #990 on: September 07, 2015, 09:38:02 am »

Youtuber Blitzkriegsler is currently doing a playthrough in vanilla with an open town.  It works fairly well, he's got a few 'bunkers' for his gunners to get inside, with a ring of sandbags and a few standing wall pillars.  Then he's got buildings for different uses.  It's rather lossy, he loses turrets/colonists/walls relatively frequently, but all of his playthroughs suffer at least significant turret turnover rate.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: September 07, 2015, 10:26:29 am »

It's quite doable from my experience.  You just need to get them the right clothes.  Try camel hair dusters for example, with the right clothes combo I had peoples 'comfortable' temperature up to ~80 C.  And by the same aspect, if you are careful you can get it down to -80 or so as well for comfortable temp.  The only times I had to force people indoors is yeah, toxic fallout.  But that's kinda a special 'everyone into the damned shelter!  Radioactive gas is everywhere!' moment.

((You can actually be in the fallout a pretty long time before it gets dangerous.))

How did you manage comfort at 80C? That's hot enough to cause burns if you touch most things, and heatstroke is basically guaranteed if you step outside. Hell, the highest natural wet-bulb temperature ever recorded on Earth only topped out in the mid 70's, and sustained temperatures much lower kill thousands of people every year.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 10:29:27 am by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: September 07, 2015, 01:10:05 pm »

I believe it was something like camel hide or hair duster, camel hair cowboy hat, boomrat shirt+pants. 

What happens is some materials have a Percentage bonus to heat damage resistance, as well as a base +/- to high and low value resistances.  When it gets made into clothing that by default protects against heat/cold (dusters protect against heat) the protection value gets spiked way up.  So much so that at one point I had a dude in my 'desert survival gear' (as I named the super heat resistant armor build) get lite on fire by an incendiary launcher, after about 5 minutes of him running in circles in the max fire animation state someone put him out and the end result was a few eye burns (not protected) and some light arm and leg burns. 

Basically with a damned good tailor, careful material control and layering of clothing it's totally possible to make fire-retardant desert survival garb.  Same deal goes with the opposite end of the spectrum.
Nom nom nom

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: September 07, 2015, 02:16:17 pm »

How can I disable heat waves, they are OP?
You can disable individual events, probably in the event file/folder... somewhere.  I havn't played in a few months, so its a bit foggy on the specifics.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

genmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: September 07, 2015, 06:00:42 pm »

Heat waves are just a harsh fact of life.  As long as their bedrooms are semi air conditioned (I have one for like 6 rooms, with vents) they'll usually be fine  8)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: September 07, 2015, 09:21:58 pm »

You know, if you settle in Taiga or Tundra you wont have these issues...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: September 08, 2015, 07:20:53 am »

Just make sure you have plenty of hunters, because you're going to be living on a manly meat diet until you get hydro up and running.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: September 08, 2015, 09:37:36 am »

Urgh snipers are the worst. My problem is that they mainly just stand outside and shoot at my outside stuff for ages and ages, and it sort of just barricades me in.

I'd quite like special weapons (snipers, rockets, so on) to have only a limited amount of ammo. It'd make them still deadly, but at least you'd be able to deal with it.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: September 08, 2015, 10:46:08 am »

Perhaps one day we can get stealth or smoke grenades or something for cover - plus the enemy using them against us. I think that would be a better solution than sniper rifles having artificial limitations, unless ammunition is added for all weapons.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: September 08, 2015, 11:13:34 am »

I think rockets are currently single-use only.

As for ammo for everything, that would be a PITA to manage. It would add an interesting aspect though... And if charge rifle ammo was jsut batteries, that would prove interesting.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: September 08, 2015, 12:42:47 pm »

I think rockets are currently single-use only.

As for ammo for everything, that would be a PITA to manage. It would add an interesting aspect though... And if charge rifle ammo was jsut batteries, that would prove interesting.

I'd suggest it only for 'special' weapons. Sniper rifles and rockets only really. I'd hate it for pistols/rifles.
Stealth would be a better way around it though, and make melee actually viable.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: September 08, 2015, 02:13:54 pm »

No, this game needs ammo. It would add to the logistical challenge. Even if it's just arranged by magazine with a certain amount of "time" remaining in the magazine for firing, it's better than hand-waving and firing a machine gun for all eternity.

genmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: September 08, 2015, 02:28:33 pm »

No, this game needs ammo. It would add to the logistical challenge. Even if it's just arranged by magazine with a certain amount of "time" remaining in the magazine for firing, it's better than hand-waving and firing a machine gun for all eternity.

I don't really like this idea - there's a mod that makes you use seeds and that sort of thing just adds more micromanagement than is fun.  Ammo for mortars or rockets, or sniper rifles, is one thing - juggling pistol ammo (plus the additional task of your colonists running to refill their ammo, or running out mid fight and then standing there doing nothing) doesn't seem to add any fun at all.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #1003 on: September 08, 2015, 04:30:40 pm »

I too, have no interest in an ammo system beyond the current one.

I can only suggest that those that want reloading in the game simply increase the burst size and drastically increase the cooldown time of all weapons.
There's your simulated ammo system without being anal retentive about it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: September 08, 2015, 05:33:32 pm »

I'd be interested in a mod that adds in ammo, but unless you're able to buy it by the hundreds of clips then it'll just ruin you.  Since you can't craft weapons, even terrible pistols, I doubt you'd be able to craft ammo, and with the way traders work you'd end up with 1 trader a year who carries 2 clips of pistol ammo while you've got a stack of LMGs with no use.

If it's modded in, even as an official mod like fertilizer pumps used to be, then that's fine.  It just seems like it'd end up being WAY too luck-based to rely on.  You already get super troll events like solar flares and eclipses and power explosions, add up no traders + solar flare + raid, and you have no weapons and they have grenades vs your shivs.  GG.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 280