Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 853906 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #585 on: September 09, 2014, 03:06:23 pm »

So, I've went and tried out version 6 with one of them mods that adds a buncha stuff.  TTM or something like that and played a bit.  I have not played the base game, much.

Meh, this post is going to be all over the place, like some crazy guy rambling on about anything.

For reference, Temperate zones(with the base game too), they are missing one of the foods, which you can't get in any way, so it closes off one of the early ways to get decent foods.  No Muffalos either.  So Arid Zone all the way.  (Have not tried Desert zone yet.  I assume it'll be nothing but sand, cactus and Iguanas.)

I'm like Grizzly with the clicking for decent people early on.  In this mod, you have to research stuff before being able to build...  anything. 
And there is a Crafting skill requirement to make certain essential parts.  That means one of your guys needs at least 6 skill in crafting or you can't trade, period.  Adds in more clicking when RNG doesn't give me one.  (I click out with anyone who has blocked off skills and negative traits.  Also the Psychicly sensitive traits, like 30% of the people who don't have blocked off skills has this...)
Sadly, the make your own starting colonist mod died from the last version.  Incompatible with current version and I guess too hard to update for each time.

I suppose it adds in other events, but one of em comes off as bullshit, you need to pay extra attention or lose a colonist events.  Well specifically the Stroke.  (I load the auto-save if I totally miss the message and someone dies as a result.) 
There is another one that turns everyone crazy-rampage, except one person, like a massive forced mental break.  Kinda bullshit too, it would be better off with a massive negative -90 morale modifier or something, so at least if you got a well run base/good traits, some more people would stay sane.  (Though I guess some people would decide to leave or go melancholy instead of rampage.)

The dangers of sieging can be mostly negated, cause this mod adds in an anti-mortor shield generator(among others), but it eats up a lot of energy.  (Energy in this mod is harder to set-up a consistent supply for early on.)

I'd pick up the zombie mod(I wonder if its compatible with TTM), but it seems to add some sort of way to get infected outside of zombie bites, so meh to it.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #586 on: September 09, 2014, 03:29:30 pm »

Here, my post got buried in a reddit thread after it'd reached its prime, no up votes or replies so ctrl-c/v, (concerning turrets & the 'in darkness' hit modifier):

Just did a bit of !!SCIENCE!!
6 squares away, 5-skill shooter with an m16, rainy in the early morning hours, turrets behind a layer of sandbags.
In darkness:
T1: 20 bursts
T2: 22 bursts
T3: 14 bursts
T4: 13 bursts
T5: 17 bursts
Lit:
T1: 9 bursts
T2: 7 bursts
T3: 11 bursts
T4: 9 bursts
T5: 10 bursts
I alternated the order in which the turrets were shot, (in case 'time of day' played a roll), but I forgot to keep track of it.
Just did the same thing with sandbags, all lit, it supports 'no sandbag cover for turrets'.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: September 09, 2014, 03:43:40 pm »

I can tell there's numbers there.  I like that.  What do the numbers mean, exactly, though?

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #588 on: September 09, 2014, 03:48:22 pm »

'In darkness' applies a 60% hit modifier to critters. These numbers suggest it also applies to turrets, unlike other to-hit/cover modifiers.
Putting turrets in dark corners will significantly enhance their survivability.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: September 09, 2014, 03:52:14 pm »

'In darkness' applies a 60% hit modifier to critters. These numbers suggest it also applies to turrets, unlike other to-hit/cover modifiers.
Putting turrets in dark corners will significantly enhance their survivability.
That's actually very significant!  I assume it matters if the target is in darkness?  The light level of the shooter doesn't matter?

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #590 on: September 09, 2014, 03:56:51 pm »

I wasn't able to control for that, though I doubt it does, for what it's worth.

I'll rig something up too test it once i get home.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 03:58:54 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: September 09, 2014, 03:57:27 pm »

What if you were to do this test inside, with sun lamps?

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #592 on: September 09, 2014, 04:01:37 pm »

No idea with sunlamps, whether 'brightly lit' applies a bonus, but the tests were conducted inside with red lighting. Both the shooter & turrets were lit or in darkness at the same time, I think weather effects apply indoors- would like to note, having a malus helps with testing by increasing the resolution of the results. 22-10 with the weather malus vs 6-3 without it kinda thing.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 04:12:36 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #593 on: September 09, 2014, 05:12:38 pm »

Double-posting for !!SCIENCE!!

Same save loaded, used red lamps for illumination.
--------------------------
Shooter lit, turret dark
T1: 14
T2: 19
T3: 15
T4: 21

Shooter dark, turret lit
T1: 10
T2: 7
T3: 9
T4: 9

No, shooter light level doesn't seem to have an effect.

--------------------------

Now with a sunlamp, turrets & shooter brightly lit.
T1: 8
T2: 10
T3: 8
T4: 11

Brightly lit doesn't seem to have a bonus. Further, targeting a boomrat what wandered onto a brightly lit tile, there's no 'brightly lit' modifier listed.
Badges of honor

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: September 09, 2014, 05:23:51 pm »

based on the tooltip that pops up showing accuracy everything is calculated from the one being shot at.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #595 on: September 09, 2014, 05:43:53 pm »

'Shooter skill' and 'Weapon' play a role. :3

But I agree with what you meant- it's just good to be thorough when !!SCIENCE!!ing.
Badges of honor

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: September 10, 2014, 11:15:38 am »

Apparently I misunderstood the thing about the virus infection in the Zombie mod.  Everyone turns at death, eventually, but they arn't randomly inflicted with the bite version of it.  Which is deadly.  My doctor learned that the hard way.

My cremation worker also learned the hard way too...  Need be quicker at the cremating... or leave the dead till they get up.

Zombie mod seems to be fully compatible with the TTM mod that I'm using.  (I also went and zeroed out the 'bullshit' events of the TTM mod.  So its all cool.

Also, zombies everywhere.  Zombies with power armor everywhere.  ...  I'll have to put someone in the meatiest armor and see how the fellow holds up to bites.  And how many bullets he gonna take when turned.  Or I guess I can put him in front of a bunch of pirates/tribals/whatever.  ...  I could do both.  Dead people drop armor anyways and I can buy many slaves, well after I get established anyways.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: September 12, 2014, 08:13:18 am »

So does it seem like injuries just lead to a weaker fort over time?

I've gotten couple dudes missing an eye, and a couple dude with a blown off legs.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: September 12, 2014, 09:10:43 am »

Prosthesis will be in someday, and wear those helmets!
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: September 12, 2014, 09:38:38 am »

You cant buy clothes and I havent gotten any helmet drops.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 280