Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 853873 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #525 on: July 08, 2014, 03:57:26 pm »

Maybe it's not a bug, but a feature. Overpopulation of small animals resulting in shortage of food.

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: July 08, 2014, 03:58:30 pm »

I've never seen a bug that makes grass disappear, and I've had like 400+ day colonies, just not in A5.

I usually wall and roof my farms, using fertilizer pumps and sun lamps to support HUGE crops.  If you've got outdoor and accessible farms, then consider having one guy with a minigun set to hunting, and periodically hunt everything.

Alternatively, why NOT house your farm?  It seems like a security risk to have it open...
it was in the changelog

July 7
Advancements in world generation: oceans, glaciers, defined latitudes, interactions between elevation, temperature, latitude, fertility, basic biome assignment.
Basic biomes.
World view pans and zooms, gives info about world.
Started world render mode selection.
Long eclipses no longer kill all the grass on the map (silent Alpha5 hotfix).

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: July 08, 2014, 04:47:03 pm »

I've never seen a bug that makes grass disappear, and I've had like 400+ day colonies, just not in A5.

I usually wall and roof my farms, using fertilizer pumps and sun lamps to support HUGE crops.  If you've got outdoor and accessible farms, then consider having one guy with a minigun set to hunting, and periodically hunt everything.

Alternatively, why NOT house your farm?  It seems like a security risk to have it open...
it was in the changelog

July 7
Advancements in world generation: oceans, glaciers, defined latitudes, interactions between elevation, temperature, latitude, fertility, basic biome assignment.
Basic biomes.
World view pans and zooms, gives info about world.
Started world render mode selection.
Long eclipses no longer kill all the grass on the map (silent Alpha5 hotfix).
It was inevitable.
._.

anexiledone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: July 12, 2014, 10:55:09 am »

The latest update has made the game a living hell for me. 4 colonist, things are going good. Got turrets set up and a nice double wall surrounding my colony.

Then out of nowhere, a 6 man siege group of guys with pistols and 1 with molotovs. Should be easy enough, I wipe all of them out quickly, though the molotov guy got a throw off. Witnessing the deaths of 6 people made my combat colonists decide they will just up and leave the colony. The fire spreading caused a roof to collapse on the one colonist left. In a matter of seconds, my colony was wiped out by their 2nd encounter using the easiest story teller.

I think I give up.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: July 12, 2014, 11:01:32 am »

The latest update has made the game a living hell for me. 4 colonist, things are going good. Got turrets set up and a nice double wall surrounding my colony.

Then out of nowhere, a 6 man siege group of guys with pistols and 1 with molotovs. Should be easy enough, I wipe all of them out quickly, though the molotov guy got a throw off. Witnessing the deaths of 6 people made my combat colonists decide they will just up and leave the colony. The fire spreading caused a roof to collapse on the one colonist left. In a matter of seconds, my colony was wiped out by their 2nd encounter using the easiest story teller.

I think I give up.
Turn on debug, and turn off mental breaks.  It used to be difficult to keep colonists mentally stable, particularly impossible to keep them happy, but easy enough to keep them in fear.  Now that doesn't work.  I'm not sure how you're supposed to compete with the -30 for seeing a corpse, when the best meal is only a +10.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: July 12, 2014, 11:40:26 am »

Seeing a corpse shouldn't give a -30 unless it was a colonist - surely looking at an attacker's body wouldn't be anywhere near as bad!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: July 12, 2014, 11:53:53 am »

Seeing a corpse shouldn't give a -30 unless it was a colonist - surely looking at an attacker's body wouldn't be anywhere near as bad!
Apparently, people who are venturing out to the edges of colonized space weren't prepared for corpses!  It gets me that you can have an attack of 50 tribesmen, kill 49 of them, capture one, convert him, and suddenly he's REALLY upset about this one patch of dirt.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: July 12, 2014, 12:13:00 pm »

Apparently, people who are venturing out to the edges of colonized space weren't prepared for corpses!  It gets me that you can have an attack of 50 tribesmen, kill 49 of them, capture one, convert him, and suddenly he's REALLY upset about this one patch of dirt.
Being civilized has its downsides.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: July 12, 2014, 12:55:53 pm »

Yeah, morale is really brutal.  I've fought off several really tough raids, only for the colony to collapse due to everyone people just giving up in the aftermath.  Like, everyone but one or two guys is down and dying, and the last two guys have a mental break while they're carrying them to their beds.  I've actually had one colonist give up and drop a colonist like one tile away from his bed, in his room.  Ooh, one time I got hit with a psychic drone during a raid, too.  That was fun.

Maybe the next update will give us SPACE TV and SPACE MONOPOLY and SPACE VIDEO GAMES for colonists to boost morale with, or something.  Maybe throw some space parties all the fukken time, like in DF.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: July 12, 2014, 01:10:42 pm »

Maybe the next update will give us SPACE TV and SPACE MONOPOLY and SPACE VIDEO GAMES for colonists to boost morale with, or something.  Maybe throw some space parties all the fukken time, like in DF.

Hm, sounds like a good idea for a mod...

Flying Mage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: July 19, 2014, 03:00:14 am »

Siege event is OP or am i doing something wrong?..

I am new in RimWorld. Now playing my third game. And looks like third time i will be annihilated by pirate's siege. I'm not saying that they unbeatable, nor i fear the challenge, but it seems alot like lottery where random decides everything. If siege event happens early on then i have no mortars and forced to deal with them in close combat, which is troublesome because they always outnumber my troops 2 to 1 and has better weapon. If i am ready and have mortars for every colonist, then i can bombard pirate's base relatively sucessful but still, couple of good shots from them can cripple me, and i can easily miss every single shot. Best case scenario is when i get lucky with my mortars and can clear some parts of their base quickly, then finish with my troops. But I still take alot of damage and next pirate raid, which can happen very soon after the siege, will probably finish me.

To the developer(s): i would like to have more control in this situation and a chance to actually survive the event if i catch it early in game. For example some defensive anti-mortar turrets or shield dome generators.

To everybody else: any suggestions about how to better prepare and survive the siege?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: July 19, 2014, 07:24:28 am »

Live mostly in a mountain.

I also suggest Yeti's letsplay of it, as though he is learning as he goes he still avoids cocking it up massively.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Flying Mage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: July 19, 2014, 07:42:42 am »

Yep, mountain is a good idea.
Survived several sieges already because of it.

Another great idea, as it turns out, is to keep only half of troops on mortars and mess with pirates with the rest of my team.

Question: does the "shooting" skill affect the mortar's accuracy?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: July 19, 2014, 08:22:12 am »

Nopes. Shooting skilll doesnt impact mortors. Mortars are random.

And Mortar target selection is wai fucked. They'll generally go for the nearest enemy. They dont value Manned Mortars more or single enemies. They dont go after Densest cluster of enemies either. And while being able to direct fire is cool. There no indication where their directed fire is. AND their directed fire will remain, even after you've unmanned the Mortars AND the raiders have left. I've had many a precious first salvos be wasted because the Mortars fired into hell and gone.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: July 19, 2014, 08:32:17 am »

It shows you where the mortar will affect when you forceaim.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 280