Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 853847 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #495 on: June 02, 2014, 06:00:27 pm »

they could just change it so it uses the same behavior as crops.

TynanSylvester

• Bay Watcher
  • Void lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: June 02, 2014, 07:06:34 pm »

I discussed using the Wood Economy concept with ItchyFlea (the mod creator) before putting it in the game. He's completely onboard with it.

Here's a PM he sent me on my forum after seeing a similar criticism and my response on the YouTube video:
Hey Tynan,

I noticed someone commented about Wood Economy in your A4 release video, and am thinking of posting a thread in the general discussion subforum to pre-empt any sort of "Why didn't you use ItchyFlea's one" threads from appearing. They probably won't, but you never know.

I'm messaging you to see if you think posting such a thread would be a good idea, or if it would be better to just wait and see if any threads appear, and then we can respond about how we discussed it and decided that it was better for you to make your own version.

If I were to post a thread, this is what I would have said in it:
I noticed a comment about Wood Economy in the Alpha 4 Release Video and figured I should say something.

I'm 100% happy with Tynan implementing his own Wood Economy into the game. We discussed adding my interpretation of a wood economy into the game, and decided that it would be best if Tynan implemented his own. Personally I enjoy Tynan's version better than my own, plus he's added a couple of features that I hadn't been able to do. I am working on a mod to tweak his Wood Economy slightly, but so far haven't found anything that actually needs to be tweaked. I will be using that tweak mod to also add a few things that I feel are missing.

So yeah, that can go to rest. Let's all talk about mechanoids and stuff yay!
rimworldgame.com

tynansylvester.com

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #497 on: June 02, 2014, 07:10:00 pm »

We don't let things like FACTS get in the way of our unfounded opinions here on Bay12. You have a lot to learn!

Rabble rabble power to the modders!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: June 02, 2014, 07:26:13 pm »

So are the mechanoids a faction or something?  All I get is tribesmen and pirates.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

TynanSylvester

• Bay Watcher
  • Void lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: June 02, 2014, 08:00:53 pm »

So are the mechanoids a faction or something?  All I get is tribesmen and pirates.

They're a bit rarer.
rimworldgame.com

tynansylvester.com

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: June 02, 2014, 08:25:06 pm »

I know it might be a way off, but one thing I'd like to see is research branches that close off other branches (or similar lasting decisions). So that if you go down on path, you can't go down another that game.
I've always felt these sort of choices add tons of replay-ability, and add a lot of character to your games as you've made a decision and helped shaped the future of your colony, rather than just unlocking everything each game.

I'm not sure how the best way to implement that lore wise would be, but I'd love to see it. I'd also like to see a 4x style research tree, with large branches that govern all aspects of colony life - I feel many RTS/strategy games shy away from proper research trees, and I feel it adds great depth.

Just some thoughts, but most of all, great work!
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: June 03, 2014, 06:38:27 pm »

Easiest way to do that is to simply have higher tech tiers take way more time/resources than you usually get in a playthrough to go down more than one path all the way. Makes it feel less arbitrary while still keeping the replayability in place.

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: June 03, 2014, 07:11:40 pm »

Easiest way to do that is to simply have higher tech tiers take way more time/resources than you usually get in a playthrough to go down more than one path all the way. Makes it feel less arbitrary while still keeping the replayability in place.
Very true, tying them to a specific resource is probably the way to go as otherwise it does feel sort of arbitrary. 
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: June 04, 2014, 09:11:44 am »

Well, that works if the planted trees are a separate object from the natural trees, otherwise colonists would feel the unstoppable compulsion to chop every tree in sight.

I was thinking, the problem with that is that you wouldn't be able to plant decorative trees, but since trees die after a while anyways it's better to have these parks as permanent tree farms and let them be chopped and replanted.

EDIT: Ok, seriously, I know I'm in day 200 or whatever, but having 50 pirates with machineguns instantly drop on top of me and kill everyone within ten seconds shouldn't even be an event.

(Guess having an outdoors colony with separate buildings isn't a viable option at all, will have to make it one megastructure).

EDIT2: Ok... this is unfair, pirates with miniguns don't drop 'em on death, the just vanish in a puff of smoke.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 11:38:44 am by Sergius »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: June 04, 2014, 11:11:37 am »

Seems like anti air systems should be a feature.

TynanSylvester

• Bay Watcher
  • Void lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: June 05, 2014, 07:51:09 am »

Well, that works if the planted trees are a separate object from the natural trees, otherwise colonists would feel the unstoppable compulsion to chop every tree in sight.

I was thinking, the problem with that is that you wouldn't be able to plant decorative trees, but since trees die after a while anyways it's better to have these parks as permanent tree farms and let them be chopped and replanted.

EDIT: Ok, seriously, I know I'm in day 200 or whatever, but having 50 pirates with machineguns instantly drop on top of me and kill everyone within ten seconds shouldn't even be an event.

(Guess having an outdoors colony with separate buildings isn't a viable option at all, will have to make it one megastructure).

EDIT2: Ok... this is unfair, pirates with miniguns don't drop 'em on death, the just vanish in a puff of smoke.

I've hotfixed some balance issues with it; you may wish to update. Sorry about that. Long-game balance is hard to test :(
rimworldgame.com

tynansylvester.com

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: June 14, 2014, 03:18:04 pm »

Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: June 14, 2014, 05:22:39 pm »

That actually looks really neat, and that whole region system fixes the issues with animals climbing ropes or flying creatures' brains turning off when they end up in the air because they aren't connected to any of the pathing zones.  It would be really neat if Toady used this (of course assuming Tyran doesn't mind).  It would probably be a big rewrite though.

Now that we know how it works of course we can break it to stop pirates even more thoroughly than before.   Perhaps a corkscrewing double backing corridor that all stays in one region so it tricks pirates into thinking the path into your defenses is shorter than the path that is actually much shorter but is made to pass through 30 or so tiny regions.

Weaponize everything, even pathing mechanics.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: June 14, 2014, 09:14:06 pm »

RimWorld

------ Updated October 2 2014
Time machine confirmed.

On another note, I've been playing with the big mod pack available on the forums, and it adds black boxes that fall from the sky and cause giant lightning storms.  There's ostensibly sommat you can do to harvest/disarm those things for SCIENCE!, though I have absolutely no idea what it actually is - I don't suppose anyone else knows?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: June 15, 2014, 02:25:49 am »

PTW

Never noticed this before.  Looks pretty awesome at a glance.  Will probably be buying to ease the increasingly agonizing wait for DF2014.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 280