Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 853832 times)

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #480 on: June 02, 2014, 11:13:02 am »

Same here.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: June 02, 2014, 11:27:58 am »

A lot of modders have donation buttons now, largely because such things are possible now. They can do it solo through Paypal/etc or use things like Patreon. In a world run on money, where food and shelter costs money, people should be paid fairly for their work, especially when someone else is selling that work.

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: June 02, 2014, 11:55:14 am »

Except nobody is selling their work in any conceivable sense.
Modders didn't invent trees or cremation, and the code is not copied but  new. The wood mod even required purchasing saplings from traders every time you wanted new trees.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: June 02, 2014, 12:08:29 pm »

RimWorld is a paid product. Tell me another story.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: June 02, 2014, 12:17:16 pm »

Honorable mentions to modders who had the idea implemented in one way or another would do well to ease people like Big.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: June 02, 2014, 12:24:05 pm »

RimWorld is a paid product. Tell me another story.
And the only work being sold is that of the developer. End of story.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: June 02, 2014, 01:05:44 pm »

Anyway, all games have a disclaimer saying that modders modding the game forfeit the rights to their work, or something of that matter. It would be quite problematic if modders could claim features preventing the dev from implementing them in any way possible.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: June 02, 2014, 01:40:47 pm »

You know you've made it as an indie developer when Bay12ers turn on you because of a completely non-controversial patch note for your increasingly popular game.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: June 02, 2014, 02:00:38 pm »

You know you've made it as an indie developer when Bay12ers turn on you because of a completely non-controversial patch note for your increasingly popular game.

This. Seems like no matter what you do as a developer, people are going to jump down your throat. I see no reason why these ideas should not be incorporated into the main game. Otherwise, the situation could end up being that a player would need to download a list of essential mods to make the game complete. That's wholly ridiculous and unrealistic.

Anyway, if the modders have a problem with this, let them fight their own fights. Judging from the way Ludeon works, the evidence points to them having contacted the modders prior to implementing the features for permission or at least correspondence.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: June 02, 2014, 02:02:15 pm »

Are any of the actual modders unhappy, or is it just people getting angry on their behalf?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: June 02, 2014, 02:22:40 pm »

Are any of the actual modders unhappy, or is it just people getting angry on their behalf?
I haven't any complaints on the forums about it so you guys are being a bit too overzealous about it.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: June 02, 2014, 02:44:49 pm »

Modders don't know what they want! We must protect them from themselves by creating a Modder Collection Agency, which will collect royalties for their work from their behalf whether they want it or not and then distributing them amongst the lawyers myself the top earners, and sending Cease & Desist letters to these amoral capitalist commie indy developers to shut them down and stop their wicked ways.

Who's with me?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: June 02, 2014, 02:46:16 pm »

Oh yeah I can't seem to find a way to set a oak farm to auto-chop when trees reach 100%, that would be useful.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: June 02, 2014, 03:14:09 pm »

Oh yeah I can't seem to find a way to set a oak farm to auto-chop when trees reach 100%, that would be useful.
You think the growers would be able to do that actually.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: June 02, 2014, 05:42:18 pm »

I guess it's because the area itself doesn't make people harvest (with crops, even if you remove the area, the crop still grows and gets automatically harvested, unlike wild plants), and planted trees aren't different from normal trees, and those don't get automatically chopped either... so, I don't know how they would fix it.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 280