Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280

Author Topic: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress  (Read 856727 times)

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
Re: RimWorld - basically the sci-fi Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #4170 on: July 08, 2024, 07:51:26 am »

Flamethrowers/molotovs force targeted at an outdoor corpse-only stockpile is the way I've seen them managed sans-cremation.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4171 on: July 08, 2024, 08:11:28 am »

Traditionally I've tossed them into the river.  I do enjoy a good massive river on my maps.  Hauling dogs help a lot for that, and they also help eat the bodies
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4172 on: July 08, 2024, 08:54:27 am »

Flamethrowers/molotovs force targeted at an outdoor corpse-only stockpile is the way I've seen them managed sans-cremation.
Ah yeah, I'm using CE so molotovs and flamethrowers are neither infinite nor easily obtainable. Right now I'm using the corpse-pile-in-a-body-of-water method, but something that means my guys don't have a mental breakdown over the pile of rotten corpses sitting in a pond every time they have to dump a new one would be good.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4173 on: July 08, 2024, 02:48:44 pm »

I use ignite everything. It let's your order your pawns do the "set fire" interaction raiders and pyromaniacs get. Doesn't seem cheesier than keeping one molotov in a stockpile for trash disposal also smooths out the fact that whether or not pawns can start fires is based exclusively on whether or not they're causing problems for you.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4174 on: July 08, 2024, 06:14:35 pm »

Yeah but you see, that's practical.

Anyway, I forgot about harbinger trees. I'm currently feeding almost everything on the map to a slowly growing grove of them. It's great when I get a tribal invasion, even with limited ammo I'm able to slaughter my way through them and get at least one new tree.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #4175 on: July 09, 2024, 10:47:57 pm »

The mod that adds floating 'physics' to objects in water makes for some interesting interactions. Can use a river to dispose of bodies by washing them downstream (hey, not my problem anymore!) but can also lose items that way. Plus pawns can be knocked down by running water and drown.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4176 on: July 10, 2024, 09:31:05 am »

I've decided to give something new a go: Permanent eclipse. We'll see how it goes, plants should start dying off sooner or later. Should be easier than my ice sheet playthroughs, but the lack of light's going to be a bit of a pain for ranged weapons.

My small bit of headcanon for this is that the anomaly entity is fucking with the atmosphere. Once I'm somewhat established I'll be kicking off the monolith rather than waiting for a long time like last game.

EDIT: I'm also running with a custom geneline, being fast healing, super immune, fast clotting pseudo-clones with major genetic instability and sterility. They can reproduce, but the only way is via implantation rather than actual cloning. Basically disposable workers for hazardous environments.

And I'm recruiting nobody, the only way to grow will be via kids. Ought to be interesting.

EDIT2: OK, turns out you can't actually reproduce sterile pawns. I need to see if there's a (non-anomalous) way to clone pawns.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2024, 12:14:32 pm by Great Order »

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #4177 on: July 10, 2024, 03:08:46 pm »

There's a mod I think that adds chestbursting pregnancy. That'd be fun since you'd need prisoners to implant embryos on.

This comes to mind though...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4178 on: July 21, 2024, 07:25:53 am »

So I've never had a game where I've had to fight the Empire. I realised I just sort of ignore them usually, outside of titles and quests.

So this game I've sided with the deserter, and I'm playing as survivors of a ship that was chasing them down after they were overthrown. We'll see how my annihilation attempts go, since I'm playing RimWar.

Also I realise that for the clone game I should have given them an implanter. Can't spawn more clones, but I could have turned others into more clones. Should have given them all the same skin tone and body shape genes too.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4179 on: July 25, 2024, 08:42:32 pm »

https://old.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/1ebgnh9/i_made_a_comic_about_how_messed_up_recruitment_is/

Little comic I found, nice way of humanising the raiders while also pointing out how fucked up you can be.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4180 on: July 26, 2024, 01:49:18 pm »

Ah yes, because the raiders did nothing wrong at the start. It's way more complicated than that and no the raiders aren't humanized. The captured raider has no motivation whatsoever except "you killed my friends (after we attacked you for some reason never stated in the comic. yes, i know THEY'RE RAIDERS)". The raider never asks "are we the baddies?" but they do deny any wrongdoing. The defenders at least say "We're not happy about this but you've given us no choice but kill you, your option because you said so and would try to kill us in the future, or wipe your clearly destructive motivation, our option because you won't listen. For the colony to continue surviving we need your skills that you haven't even been using. You could have used your hydroponics skills, and we are right now welcoming you with open arms, but you tried to kill us and spit in our face instead. This planet sucks and you could have grown enough food to survive but you attacked people instead. Who is the brainwashed one, really?" The colony is humanized but the raider not so much. The community would give you the perks of living in semi-civilization and you provide food for everyone. You're safer from other rival raiders who also would have raided you after you raided us.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4181 on: July 26, 2024, 08:00:47 pm »

Hey, the comic never says the raiders are morally good. Just sort of emphasises how fucked the player can be.

If it makes you feel any better, you could think of it as a traditionally neutral faction that the PC attacked.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4182 on: July 26, 2024, 11:16:00 pm »

In truth, the game itself is more nuanced than all that.

You have factions that are Always Hostile, Aggressive but can be turned non-hostile/allied, and Neutral but can be turned hostile/allied.

Even the term "Raider" is misleading, and moreso with more DLCs.

If you want morally black & white...maybe RimWorld isn't for you?  :P

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4183 on: July 26, 2024, 11:19:38 pm »

OP explained their colony to be vampire-worshipping cultists, so not necessarily evil but you could see people assuming.
We can also assume that if people are "bandits" attacking a well defended base using poor weapons, they might have a choice between doing that or starving.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4184 on: July 26, 2024, 11:24:27 pm »

Considering the abilities and equipment of the people sent on raids in the early game, I assume the choice is between attacking the colony or getting killed by their own faction.
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280